8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Maxima Pop Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 PM

I have a 2017 with only 12k and have a clunking noise coming from the front left. It.Is really noticeable first think in the morning after I start to back up slowly and then apply the brake. Sounds like a bad ball joint or something. Started making the noise about a month ago. The car is at the dealer now for past 2 days. They say that they hear the clunk, but can't find what is causing it. Now they are going to change the front left axle to see if that fixes it. They are just guessing now. Dealer told me that if the axle doesn't fix the problem they are going to put it down as a "normal noise" I wont accept that as an answer for this clunking. Something is definitely wrong/broken. Might have to go up the chain of command on this one.
Graham
Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by grhmw
I have a 2017 with only 12k and have a clunking noise coming from the front left. It.Is really noticeable first think in the morning after I start to back up slowly and then apply the brake. Sounds like a bad ball joint or something. Started making the noise about a month ago. The car is at the dealer now for past 2 days. They say that they hear the clunk, but can't find what is causing it. Now they are going to change the front left axle to see if that fixes it. They are just guessing now. Dealer told me that if the axle doesn't fix the problem they are going to put it down as a "normal noise" I wont accept that as an answer for this clunking. Something is definitely wrong/broken. Might have to go up the chain of command on this one.
Graham
Ah the old famous tear your car apart guessing the problem and not actually solving it. Only to get paid for warranty work. Screw that dealership man and try some where else. And just so you know how this works. They are marking it as normal once the repair is made even if it does not fix it. Reason being if you say the problem is still there. They eat the cost on the previous warranty work having to reimburse Nissan since they misdiagnosed the issue.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Ah the old famous tear your car apart guessing the problem and not actually solving it. Only to get paid for warranty work. Screw that dealership man and try somewhere else. And just so you know how this works. They are marking it as normal once the repair is made even if it does not fix it. Reason being if you say the problem is still there. They eat the cost on the previous warranty work having to reimburse Nissan since they misdiagnosed the issue.
This is not true about "marking it as normal" after they tried to fix it and it still remains. My Nissan Dealer replaced my connecting rods and thought that would be the fix because Nissan said, if the vehicle is making this noise from the rear end, then the connecting rods must be replaced. I just got through talking to them a couple of days ago about the noise remaining after that fix and they are going to replace my shocks and shock mounts now. As a matter of fact, Nissan is going to replace my headlights because both have some condensation streaking on the inside of the lenses. I have been communicating diligently with my Nissan dealer about this, using these posts here as proof that there is an issue, and they have been working with me very well... no pushback. I send the service writer that I have been using from day one since I purchased my car links to this conversation here so he can verify that others have been having the issue so he doesn't think I'm some chicken little thinking the sky is falling over every little issue about the car.

Folks, there is a service bulletin on this issue and the dealer will work with you to resolve the problem. I have high hopes that the replacement of the shocks and shock mounts will resolve the problem because aharper posted that doing this for her vehicle solved the problem. Personally, I wouldn't look at the panels, wherever they are, being the problem. You'll have to show the dealer where that fix should be applied, and if you're trying to do that without knowledge or pictures of where those panels are precisely, then the dealer can't know where to apply the fix.

Dealers can't know what to fix if they haven't had vehicles coming in more regularly with this problem. Evidentally, there has been enough chatter about it nationally to put out a service bulletin on it, though. But a service bulletin is not a recall. A recall is a precise known issue and a precise know fix. I asked my Nissan dealer how many others have come in with this issue. He said I was the first... SINCE THE NEW MAXIMA CAME OUT!! So, you see, they can't know the fix until you've worked with them and helped them help you. There may very well be Nissan dealers throughout the US that want to scam you and work on your car when there is no reason to work on it, but I can't qualify or quantify that statement. I know my Nissan dealer in the area I live in. I know the owner's reputation in his dealer group throughout the three cities he has established his franchises. He has an impeccable reputation.

If you feel you aren't being listened to well enough where you are getting serviced, then drive the extra miles, if it is nominal enough, and find a dealer that will serve you properly.

YMMV
Old 12-28-2018, 01:57 PM

I've had this problem - or some similar kind of rear clunking problem - for over a year on my 2016 Maxima. I've had it in the dealership twice and I still have the problem. The first time they did nothing. The second time they replaced both stabilizer connecting rods / bushings. The sound got somewhat better but didn't go away completely. Now it's back as bad as ever and I'm out of warranty. When I get time I'm going to call in again, but I really don't want to pay to have them keep trying stuff. Will another attempt at fixing it be paid by Nissan now that it's out of warranty?

I also have rattling from the sunroof area and/or the rear which the dealer said they can't fix. As much as I like some aspects of the car, I am very disappointed in these noises. I paid a lot of money for a car that sounds like a 10 year old junker inside most of the time.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clunking Noise Fixed!

On AHARPER's recommendation from this thread, I had my mechanic install new rear shock mounts and I just got the car back today. I'm happy to report that my 2016 Maxima SL is now CLUNK FREE!!! On my ride home I tested it as best as I could and not even a whisper from the back end. I just purchased the car in January and once it turned cold the clunking noise became very pronounced. We've had a brutally cold February and as the temperature got colder the noise got worse. When I took the car in originally, my mechanic could not get the parts that day and said they would be $30 a piece, but I recalled seeing the shock mounts on Amazon for about half that price. So I ordered them on Amazon (
product link product link
) and then took it in today after they were shipped to me. After the install was done, they told me that the original bushings were actually installed incorrectly and the washer was in the wrong place causing the the metal on metal cracking noise. Probably an oversight in the original assembly at the factory.

Anyway, the annoying noise is gone and I am thrilled. I will report back in 100 or so miles to confirm the issue is resolved.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Going to take mine in and have them do this now that spring is here. They were offering to replace the rear shocks. That is the last resort I think and I'm more likely to get them to do this without a fuss than the entire shocks.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by rspeigs
On AHARPER's recommendation from this thread, I had my mechanic install new rear shock mounts and I just got the car back today. I'm happy to report that my 2016 Maxima SL is now CLUNK FREE!!! On my ride home I tested it as best as I could and not even a whisper from the back end. I just purchased the car in January and once it turned cold the clunking noise became very pronounced. We've had a brutally cold February and as the temperature got colder the noise got worse. When I took the car in originally, my mechanic could not get the parts that day and said they would be $30 a piece, but I recalled seeing the shock mounts on Amazon for about half that price. So I ordered them on Amazon (product link) and then took it in today after they were shipped to me. After the install was done, they told me that the original bushings were actually installed incorrectly and the washer was in the wrong place causing the the metal on metal cracking noise. Probably an oversight in the original assembly at the factory.

Anyway, the annoying noise is gone and I am thrilled. I will report back in 100 or so miles to confirm the issue is resolved.
We appreciate you sharing your solution with the group.

Last edited by robtroxel; 03-16-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just confirming that the issue is with the shock mounts which I had replaced on March 12th. After 3 days of driving my 2016 Maxima over pothole filled roads I have not heard the clanking sound whatsoever.

Last edited by rspeigs; 03-15-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by rspeigs
Just confirming that the issue is with the shock mounts which I had replaced on March 12th. After 3 days of driving my 2016 Maxima over pothole filled roads I have not heard the clanking sound whatsoever.
Just had this done to my 17 and I can hopefully concur with this problem and the fix. Sorry to dig this old thread up but I hope it saves people from wasting time having Nissan hunt and peck in the wrong place. In fact, driving it about 12 miles after the fix, not even railroad tracks induced the clunk. The rear of the car feels firmer yet calmer. Yay! Thanks rspeigs.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM

I have a 2016 and hear the noise, agree it's much worse when cold. Every single morning when leaving for work, I hear it, after driving a while the noise seems to go away or quiet down quite a bit at least. I went to the dealer a few weeks ago actually, they put the car on the lift and checked sway bar end links, bushings, wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, etc. Said all looks fine.

To me, it sounds like the clunk is coming from the passenger front area.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by DK SPL Audio
I have a 2016 and hear the noise, agree it's much worse when cold. Every single morning when leaving for work, I hear it, after driving a while the noise seems to go away or quiet down quite a bit at least. I went to the dealer a few weeks ago actually, they put the car on the lift and checked sway bar end links, bushings, wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, etc. Said all looks fine.

To me, it sounds like the clunk is coming from the passenger front area.
Throw on the Monroe Shockmate shock mount kit and I bet it disappears. It's (the noise) in the top of the rear shock which is directly behind the back seat on each end. The same tech who did the two service bulletin fixes for my car (of which neither fixed the issue at all) wonders why Nissan doesn't go this route for the issue. But it's rare, mostly SR's with the issue. After I had it done, it was the first day in 6 months I haven't heard the sound AT ALL over ANY bump.

Last edited by 17MaxSR; 05-16-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:02 PM

I have a Platinum

Are you just referring to the Monroe SA1997 SHOCK-MATE Shock Absorber Boot Kit? I am not finding a "shock mount kit". Easy to put on?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 03:10 PM

This is what I bought (2) for the rear shocks.

Monroe 904985 Strut-Mate Shock...
Amazon Amazon

Dealer did the replacement. I had other things done as well but the car was done total in 2 hours.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:46 PM

After some additional experimentation, mine is definitely coming from the front passenger side. I can confirm that when the car is cold, it is way worse. I drove slow over bumps when the car was cold and it "clunks" when the front hits a bump, not the rear. I also wrapped towels all around the bars in the trunk to eliminate that possibility.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM

I'm of the mind that Nissan uses garbage strut/shock mounts. There are the same Monroe kits for the struts that I put on the rear shocks. You may have a defective strut though, if it's not the mount then it's the strut, it shouldn't be bad so soon for a car this age. Good luck with warranty begging at your Nissan dealer. My dealer knocked a bunch off the labor, maybe half, because this wasn't a TSB or anything that I had done, it was my choice. Since it worked they were really gracious about it and took some responsibility. I still have 20K on warranty.

If you can determine it's not the strut itself, I would try these: http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/902022
Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the reply, those are quite a job to replace, have to remove the entire strut, right?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Easier than the rear shocks but not fun either.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Bumping this thread again...now that it is getting cold in MN I can hear the noise pretty much throughout my entire drive. I brought it to a different Nissan dealer this time and told them about the front passenger side clunk. They said it would be $70 for diagnostic, if it is the strut mount it would be another $70 for the part, $250-300 for labor and $120 for an alignment! To fix this clunk it would be over $500! I told them no way, this is a 2016! This is my first Nissan, had a 98 LS400 prior to this and only issue was a starter the entire time I had it. I'm temped to just buy a new strut assembly from Rock Auto but I have never put one in before. The noise is so obnoxious.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Just resolve in your mind that Nissan builds junk these days, the good old solid Maxima is history, the stuff coming out of Smyrna is cheap. The last good Maxima I could depend on was made in Oppama Japan. I'm dumping my Maxima first thing this spring. Nothing but a cash cow for the service dept at Nissan. Garbage.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 PM

2017 Sr and I just started hearing the loud clunk noise from the rear, however mine sometimes feels like it's coming from the outside rear. Only happens when going over bumps or turning over uneven surfaces. It's a lot louder in the morning before the car is heated up.

Does tsb ntb 17-040 address this?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Can confirm that changing out the rear shock bushings will alleviate the popping noise. Got it done to the right rear shock last year and the left rear shock about a month ago after the noise started on that side. No pops from either side since we had the work done. I’ll update with the RO info if I can find it.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Phantm006
Can confirm that changing out the rear shock bushings will alleviate the popping noise. Got it done to the right rear shock last year and the left rear shock about a month ago after the noise started on that side. No pops from either side since we had the work done. I’ll update with the RO info if I can find it.
I suspected it WAs suspension related
Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Would getting coilovers solve the issue?
Old 12-23-2019, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Phantm006
looking to bump this thread in hopes Phantm can find his RO and post it. I am having the issue and had the TSB performed and it didn’t fix the issue. I fear I need something specific to go back to the dealership with.

Thanks if you are able to hunt this down.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
looking to bump this thread in hopes Phantm can find his RO and post it. I am having the issue and had the TSB performed and it didn’t fix the issue. I fear I need something specific to go back to the dealership with.

Thanks if you are able to hunt this down.
I will call the dealership and see if they can send me a copy. I can’t find the original. I know they ordered a shock for it, but I don’t know if they installed the shock or just changed the bushing. I’ll keep you posted.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:10 PM

Thanks for looking. It’s much appreciated.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Crisisx1
Would getting coilovers solve the issue?
Check your spare if it's tight. I though i had this pop clunk TSB issue but my spare was hella loose and when i went over significant bumps, it clunked. It did not when i went over dips.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
My Altima has the metal rods...there is a plastic clip that keep them separated and clunk free. Once in a while on side will come unsnapped and I jut have to snap it back in.
Had that very thing with my '07 Altima, if it is the trunk lid torsion bars you are referring to.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=NisCal17;9187947]
I think I found the source of clunky noise. Fold your rear seat and try to move the this plastic piece. I stuffed some bubble wrap founded in the trunk( amazon package) under this plastic cover to see if it will illuminate the clucking noise and it did. I will apply much more sophisticated material later on when I’ll have time.

[/Thanks for indicating this area. I ended up applying cell foam tape to the edge and back side of that plastic cover as well as under the rear deck edge (crazy rattling sounds when tapped lightly) it has completely solved my issue
Old 12-26-2019, 05:48 AM

[QUOTE=2000G6;9214565]
Originally Posted by NisCal17
I think I found the source of clunky noise. Fold your rear seat and try to move the this plastic piece. I stuffed some bubble wrap founded in the trunk( amazon package) under this plastic cover to see if it will illuminate the clucking noise and it did. I will apply much more sophisticated material later on when I’ll have time.

[/Thanks for indicating this area. I ended up applying cell foam tape to the edge and back side of that plastic cover as well as under the rear deck edge (crazy rattling sounds when tapped lightly) it has completely solved my issue
Thanks for the report. A picture would really help us on what you did. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
Thanks for looking. It’s much appreciated.
Looking at the RO it looks like they only changed out the bushings. I haven’t been able to reach the SA to confirm but I’m going to call again tomorrow. I personally don’t think they replaced the entire shock. But will advise.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did the SA ever get back to you?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Oliphant
The only thing she could advise was what was on the R/O which was they changed out the bushings. I’m going to email the Service Manager Monday to find out if there was anything more extensive. He’s hard to catch as to why I haven’t reached out to him as of yet. Will advise.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:56 PM

I just emailed him. I’ll let you know what I hear back.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool. Thanks. Taking mine in next Tuesday morning. They thought it was coming from the rear deck. I am certain that it's suspension related. They told me the more info they have, the better.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:17 PM

I do have the service invoice where they tore out essentially the entire back half of the interior. It’s not the rear deck. It’s the rear shocks/bushings or both. They did the right rear last year and the left this year. Same noise. Same solution.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Oliphant
If you want to message me your email I can send you a picture of the R/O and what they did the first time for the right side.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That would be great.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2020, 10:11 AM

2019 work that was done on the left. All the parts listed are what was replaced. ^^^

2017 work that was done on the right.

Last edited by Phantm006; 01-18-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you so much for sending me this. I'll let you know how I make out. Hopefully they will just go right to the shock and not mess around with trying to take apart the rear deck first. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Maxima Pop Clunk Noise