8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Dealership won't email CPO checklist

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:23 AM

Dealership won't email CPO checklist

Reached out to a dealership about a 2017 SV with about 22K miles on it. It's a Nissan CPO. I live pretty far from the dealership (3+ hours), so I asked if they could email me a copy of the CPO checklist for me to review before I drive out. I was told they can't email it because it contains "confidential information", but they could show it to me if I came there. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

I've left two messages with the General Manager trying to get more details about the car. Sad to say he hasn't returned any of my cars. Maybe it's a sign... unfortunately the price, color, and mileage was what we are looking for.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Sounds fishy to me....I would move on.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:21 PM

If the checklist really contains information you shouldn't see, then they shouldn't show it to you in person either, so this is obviously BS. I second wild *****.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:42 PM

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/download/?0..._checklist.pdf

You mean this?
Old 09-02-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
That's the one. I'm not sure why they'll show it to me in person but not email it.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:03 AM

Salesmen like to high pressure you for a sale in person.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by zup28w
Reached out to a dealership about a 2017 SV with about 22K miles on it. It's a Nissan CPO. I live pretty far from the dealership (3+ hours), so I asked if they could email me a copy of the CPO checklist for me to review before I drive out. I was told they can't email it because it contains "confidential information", but they could show it to me if I came there. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

I've left two messages with the General Manager trying to get more details about the car. Sad to say he hasn't returned any of my cars. Maybe it's a sign... unfortunately the price, color, and mileage was what we are looking for.
it’s just the other way saying come to us.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:43 AM

What is the big deal about the CPO checklist? What are you expecting to see about a car with 22K miles? The fact that you have the CPO warranty should be good enough for you...plus the remainder of the factory warranty.

I think you are making a mountain out of a non existent molehill.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 PM

Good news - received a call from the dealership. Turns out the general manager was on vacation and the receptionist didn't realize this because she works at a different location. The sales person I spoke to today sent me the checklist.

@Rick - I was specifically interested in knowing if any thing was replaced (possibly sign of abuse) and the condition of the tires and brakes - if they are below a certain threshold, Nissan will replace them. With the CPO list, the tech did not document the remaining brake life on each pad or remaining tire tread. Those are part of the CPO certification but not the CPO Warranty and factory warranty.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by zup28w
Good news - received a call from the dealership. Turns out the general manager was on vacation and the receptionist didn't realize this because she works at a different location. The sales person I spoke to today sent me the checklist.

@Rick - I was specifically interested in knowing if any thing was replaced (possibly sign of abuse) and the condition of the tires and brakes - if they are below a certain threshold, Nissan will replace them. With the CPO list, the tech did not document the remaining brake life on each pad or remaining tire tread. Those are part of the CPO certification but not the CPO Warranty and factory warranty.
Really, you can not tell from brakes and tires. No one babies their cars more than I do....My oem tires on both Altima's lasted no more than 15K miles......not my fault....rear brakes..gone at about the same. If someone gauged abuse on those two things on my car, they would be missing out on a car that you would WANT to get. Where you drive and the type of driving can really wear these two things quickly. The sad truth is that you really have no Idea what you are getting.....it's a roll of the dice. I have been shopping AWD Q50s for some time now...and it seems as if all of the CPOs come from Leases or mostly rental fleets...no thanks. It is impossible to find private owners ......
Old 09-03-2018, 07:00 AM

Hi wild ***** - I think you might have misinterpreted my statement. I completely agree that the remaining tire tread and brake pad life do not indicate abuse or poor maintenance. My reason behind that statement is more "have they been replaced or will I need to replace them in the near future".

Regarding abuse, the CPO checklist has items which can be useful. For example, wheels with excessive curb rash or uneven tire wear. If car has 22K and the tires are wearing uneveningly, something else is amiss and it was not well maintained (uneven tire wear doesn't happen over night). It doesn't mean that the car is bad, but I'd make sure an alignment was performed. Other examples on the list would be holes or stains in the interior.. rental car or not, these point to me as to how well someone is taking care of their vehicle. A benefit of the CPO checklist that buyers have a more detailed understanding of the car's previous condition.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:16 PM

I would bet that the CPO list is not even gone over by anyone for the most part....They charge a premium and the odds that something goes wrong with in the time/mile frame is slim. I am sure all of the cars get the check marks...unless it is blatantly obvious. YOu may not agree with me...........but I do not trust them.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 AM

I purchased a 2016 Maxima SV CPO from a local Nisssan dealer at the end of January, 2018. The car had 22800 when I bought it. The Carfax showed one owner, and regular 5K service at the dealer. I don't even remember looking at the CPO Checklist, as quite frankly, it is of no importance to me. I'm sure I have it in the stack of paperwork I received from the dealer.

The Carfax showed that it was traded in to my dealer in December, and that the air filter, oil and filter, and wiper blades were changed before they offered it for sale. As I was taking delivery, I popped the hood, and found a dirty air filter. I checked the wipers, and they were not new. The oil did look like it was changed recently. Before I drove away, I had the dealer change the air filter, cabin air filter, and wiper blades...at no cost to me.

The OE Continental ProContact tires had enough tread left for me to make it to 26K miles before I replaced them. They met the CPO tread depth standards when I bought the car. My wife's Maxima, same tires made it to 31K before I changed them, so I would not consider these Continental tires to be long life. I checked air regularly, and rotated every 5K, plus I know that my wife drives like a little old lady.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
I purchased a 2016 Maxima SV CPO from a local Nisssan dealer at the end of January, 2018. The car had 22800 when I bought it. The Carfax showed one owner, and regular 5K service at the dealer. I don't even remember looking at the CPO Checklist, as quite frankly, it is of no importance to me. I'm sure I have it in the stack of paperwork I received from the dealer.

The Carfax showed that it was traded in to my dealer in December, and that the air filter, oil and filter, and wiper blades were changed before they offered it for sale. As I was taking delivery, I popped the hood, and found a dirty air filter. I checked the wipers, and they were not new. The oil did look like it was changed recently. Before I drove away, I had the dealer change the air filter, cabin air filter, and wiper blades...at no cost to me.

The OE Continental ProContact tires had enough tread left for me to make it to 26K miles before I replaced them. They met the CPO tread depth standards when I bought the car. My wife's Maxima, same tires made it to 31K before I changed them, so I would not consider these Continental tires to be long life. I checked air regularly, and rotated every 5K, plus I know that my wife drives like a little old lady.
That shows you right there....that the CPO is just a way to add profit to the sale. With a piece of paper with check marks that may or may not mean anything
Old 09-04-2018, 10:42 AM

If you buy your Maxima brand new it also comes with a check list. It's nothing but BS.