8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

$25 OEM Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 PM

$25 OEM Oil Change

I used this for my first oil change. All OEM parts. For $25 per change I will do it every 5K.
Amazon Amazon

Genuine Nissan 0W-20 Oil Change Kit 15208-65F0E

Attached Thumbnails  OEM Oil Change-71v80-ydtgl._sl1401_.jpg  
Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 PM

Thing is I run only Full Synthetic. Nissan OEM is a blend. Otherwise okay for most.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Thing is I run only Full Synthetic. Nissan OEM is a blend. Otherwise okay for most.

Does the manufacturer recommend fully synthetic oil? if not why are you using it?, besides it's supposed to be "better" If anything happens to your motor under warranty they can rightfully deny you service for not following what is recommended. Just my worthless $.0.02
Old 09-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by mlfca
I used this for my first oil change. All OEM parts. For $25 per change I will do it every 5K.
Amazon

Genuine Nissan 0W-20 Oil Change Kit 15208-65F0E

Search your local dealership, I never paid for more than $15 for an oil change from the Dealership. It's typically under the specials, and you can always ask them what oil they use and it typically states it on the website or ask your service manager.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
Does the manufacturer recommend fully synthetic oil? if not why are you using it?, besides it's supposed to be "better" If anything happens to your motor under warranty they can rightfully deny you service for not following what is recommended. Just my worthless $.0.02
I use full synthetic because tests have shown it to have greater lubricity than blends. Full synthetics are used in very high performance race cars and aircraft. So if it is good enough for them then it is good enough for me. Heck even my new grass trimmer recommends synthetic oil.

As for Nissan denying me service for using full synthetic meeting minimum Nissan specs and at Nissan-recommended oil change intervals (my words), is just not true.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:46 PM

Did you know ANY dealer will up sell you full synthetic if you want it during an oil change? Usually their go to is Mobil 1 full synthetic. If you want to use a mixed blend hot garbage oil from the dealer that is fine. But, full synthetic from a top brand meets and exceeds OEM requirements. I only use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum personally. Deny service? No they cant. You are exceeding OEM requirements and putting in BETTER oil then the minimum. I always bring in my own oil to the dealers and never had a problem. Even have had comments "ah that is the good stuff" or "much better then what we put in for regular oil changes". If you run into a dealer that will not do it for you. Run because they are crooks and want the sales themselves or to up sell. Also I bet you did not know this. Dealers put in 5W-30 for the Maxima and not 0W-20. Why? Because its to expensive and 5W-30 is so much cheaper in the bulk which also meets Nissan's minimum requirements.

Nissan's own 0w-20 oil is synthetic which is a mixed blend and not full synthetic. Crooked dealers can also up sell you on the Nissan oil selling it as full synthetic telling you that as a customer and its not.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-06-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 AM

Genuine Nissan 0W-20 is full synthetic and is made by Exxon/Mobil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nis...-/282924388409
Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Did you know ANY dealer will up sell you full synthetic if you want it during an oil change? Usually their go to is Mobil 1 full synthetic. If you want to use a mixed blend hot garbage oil from the dealer that is fine. But, full synthetic from a top brand meets and exceeds OEM requirements. I only use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum personally. Deny service? No they cant. You are exceeding OEM requirements and putting in BETTER oil then the minimum. I always bring in my own oil to the dealers and never had a problem. Even have had comments "ah that is the good stuff" or "much better then what we put in for regular oil changes". If you run into a dealer that will not do it for you. Run because they are crooks and want the sales themselves or to up sell. Also I bet you did not know this. Dealers put in 5W-30 for the Maxima and not 0W-20. Why? Because its to expensive and 5W-30 is so much cheaper in the bulk which also meets Nissan's minimum requirements.

Nissan's own 0w-20 oil is synthetic which is a mixed blend and not full synthetic. Crooked dealers can also up sell you on the Nissan oil selling it as full synthetic telling you that as a customer and its not.
I found this on another forum and borrowed it:

With more regularity than sightings of Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster, someone throws out the phrase "cheap bulk oil" to lambast automobile dealers for using bulk oil for their oil change. In this case, they want the connotation to infer that oil used by the dealer is somehow inferior to motor oil that you and I can purchase over the counter in various stores, and at various prices.

Does anyone actually believe that a Nissan dealer uses inferior oil...oil that that does not meet the requirements of Nissan North America...to change oil in customer's cars? If you do believe that, you might also believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

2016 and up Nissan Maxima vehicles require 0W-20 motor oil, API SN/ILSAC GF-5 rating...the owners manual says that 5W-30 oil meeting the same SN classification is acceptable to keep warranty in force. Show me where/how bulk oil, used by Nissan dealers, is inferior. Show me any 0W-20 or 5W-30 motor oil that that is rated as API SN/ILSAC GF-5 that is inferior oil.

By this reasoning, if one were to buy 5 quarts of 0W-20 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor oil at $9.99 a quart at Advance Auto Parts for a total before tax of $49.99, versus buying a 5 quart jug of the same Mobil oil from Advance at their regular everyday price of $38.99...the higher priced 1 quart bottle contains oil that is better, higher quality because it cost you more.

Continuing with this line of reasoning, the Advance Auto Parts 5 quart jug of Mobil I Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic motor oil is of better quality at a cost of $38.99 than the same 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 oil at Walmart for $22.88. Sure it is!

Nissan dealers use of bulk oil is in no way to be construed as them using "cheap" oil.

Try this test yourself..price 1 bottle of Coke at a Walmart, and ptice a six-pack of the same size at the same store. Which is cheaper per ounce?

Last edited by RickSmith; 09-06-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Search your local dealership, I never paid for more than $15 for an oil change from the Dealership. It's typically under the specials, and you can always ask them what oil they use and it typically states it on the website or ask your service manager.
where do you live ? my local Nissan stealership in Los Angeles where I purchased my 2017 maxima charges $59.99 for a oil change. they do however send me a coupon for $10.00... great deal right lol

that $25.00 kit from amazon does seem like quite the deal though so ill def be looking into that.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM

My dealer gives me free oil changes for life. I still bring my own Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 and filter, and still change it every 5k miles. I know, it's expensive, but it gives me peace of mind.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
I found this on another forum and borrowed it:

With more regularity than sightings of Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster, someone throws out the phrase "cheap bulk oil" to lambast automobile dealers for using bulk oil for their oil change. In this case, they want the connotation to infer that oil used by the dealer is somehow inferior to motor oil that you and I can purchase over the counter in various stores, and at various prices.

Does anyone actually believe that a Nissan dealer uses inferior oil...oil that that does not meet the requirements of Nissan North America...to change oil in customer's cars? If you do believe that, you might also believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

2016 and up Nissan Maxima vehicles require 0W-20 motor oil, API SN/ILSAC GF-5 rating...the owners manual says that 5W-30 oil meeting the same SN classification is acceptable to keep warranty in force. Show me where/how bulk oil, used by Nissan dealers, is inferior. Show me any 0W-20 or 5W-30 motor oil that that is rated as API SN/ILSAC GF-5 that is inferior oil.

By this reasoning, if one were to buy 5 quarts of 0W-20 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor oil at $9.99 a quart at Advance Auto Parts for a total before tax of $49.99, versus buying a 5 quart jug of the same Mobil oil from Advance at their regular everyday price of $38.99...the higher priced 1 quart bottle contains oil that is better, higher quality because it cost you more.

Continuing with this line of reasoning, the Advance Auto Parts 5 quart jug of Mobil I Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic motor oil is of better quality at a cost of $38.99 than the same 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 oil at Walmart for $22.88. Sure it is!

Nissan dealers use of bulk oil is in no way to be construed as them using "cheap" oil.

Try this test yourself..price 1 bottle of Coke at a Walmart, and ptice a six-pack of the same size at the same store. Which is cheaper per ounce?
Maybe I should have been more clear. I stand by my statement in the sense. High quality full synthetic kicks the crap out of what dealers use with a mix blend.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
Genuine Nissan 0W-20 is full synthetic and is made by Exxon/Mobil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nis...-/282924388409
My dealer must not be using the Nissan oil because he says he uses a synthetic blend. He pumps it from a huge 50 gal. drum labeled "Nissan".
Old 09-07-2018, 06:51 AM

My dealer must not be using the Nissan oil because he says he uses a synthetic blend. He pumps it from a huge 50 gal. drum labeled "Nissan".
Most Nissan dealers use 5W-30 oil, which meets the warranty requirements of Nissan North America. The oil they use does not have to be the Nissan branded oil, and it may or may not be a semi-synthetic blend. My Nissan dealer uses Kendall 5W-30 semi synthetic oil in all that use 5W-30.

For example, Rick Hendricks race teams are sponsored by Valvoline, and Valvoline oil is used at all 97 Hendrick dealerships, including the Nissan dealerships he owns.

Last edited by RickSmith; 09-07-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 AM

I use this one and I only run it for 5K-6K. The label says up to 15K but it does not mean you have to run it up to 15K.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-E...3=3520&veh=sem
Old 09-08-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
I use this one and I only run it for 5K-6K. The label says up to 15K but it does not mean you have to run it up to 15K.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-E...3=3520&veh=sem
Isn't it true that no matter what oil you use, Nissan says change it @ 5K? My car is on a lease so as long as the maintenance schedule is met for full warranty, I'm OK with that blended potion. For those of you keeping your car for the long haul, I can sure understand why you opt for the synthetic oil. Just too many pluses in extreme weather etc. Would love to see a teardown of an engine running regular dino oil vs full synthetic @ 100 K
Old 09-09-2018, 06:56 AM

M 1 Extended performance on sale for 25.47

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-E...SP0D6gc1NtE9F-
Old 09-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Interesting read:

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...on-engine-oil/
Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Isn't it true that no matter what oil you use, Nissan says change it @ 5K? My car is on a lease so as long as the maintenance schedule is met for full warranty, I'm OK with that blended potion. For those of you keeping your car for the long haul, I can sure understand why you opt for the synthetic oil. Just too many pluses in extreme weather etc. Would love to see a teardown of an engine running regular dino oil vs full synthetic @ 100 K
Yes, Nissan says every 5K. But you’re leasing it you have no other option. I’m on lease too but I never go to service my car there I only did first out of 3 free oil changes. After that I’m on my own. I always change oil between 5-6K miles. The most I did is 7200 miles it was a quick round trip from California to NY and back(98 % highway miles). But I general I stick to 5K rule.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:45 AM

All you need is a receipt for the oil and the filter.......Does not mean you have to change it at 5K. Change it when you want...its a lease. Hence, never buy a leased car...
Old 09-09-2018, 05:52 PM

The dealship I work at uses 0-20 when the car calls for it and 5-30 when it calls for it. 0-20 is synthetic (my parts manage said it's mobile 1), and the "bulk" oil is conventional 5-30. Bulk doesn't mean its garbage, it means we have a larger supply of it. A lot of people don't want synthetic because of the price difference. Our 200 gallon drum that says Nissan on it is the synthetic and the bulk is pumped from a larger tank somewhere I've never seen.

We recommend 5k mile intervals with conventional and 7500 with synthetic .

Not all dealerships are alike.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
All you need is a receipt for the oil and the filter.......Does not mean you have to change it at 5K. Change it when you want...its a lease. Hence, never buy a leased car...
Buying a leased car is not without the pitfalls of getting any used car. I do believe whoever buys my leased Maxima will be very happy though. I have had the oil changed every 5000 miles, including all filters, put on new tires at 33000 miles, seen to all the recalls being accomplished. Parked in the outlying areas to avoid door dings (Not a one) Never "cowboyed" the CVT. Interior is like new, floor liners installed from day 1. Brakes still over 60% left. The key here is having the same caring drivers to operate the vehicle. This is a lot different than buying a rental car which gets punished over and over.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Max is leased. I always attend Dealer for oil changes when the vehicle is leased and right on schedule (every 8K km or 5K miles) just so there is ZERO opportunity for push back from Nissan in case the motor lets go which has a probability of 10 million to one. For the first 2 and 1/2 years the oil was 5w30. Then a sign appeared on the service counter with some BS about the Max requiring "synthetic" oil namely "Nissan 0W20" which as noted in this thread is actually Mobil 1 0W20 in bulk form.

Just to be clear, Mobil 1 0W20 is a "severely hydrocracked" oil, classified technically as a Group 3 oil and therefore can be sold as a "synthetic" oil or as some say a "full synthetic". In contrast for comparison purposes, Mobil 1 0W40 Eurospec is actually a synthetic and is classified as a Group 4 oil.

Regardless, the Dealer ppl then started to put the pressure on to switch to this 0W20 oil or the engine warranty MAY be in jeopardy. The cost is an additional $20 plus $2.60. in tax. (CAD). I wasn't pleased with this so I said forget it. That was a year ago (3 changes a year). Just yesterday I went in for the standard oil change and upon paying I noticed that they had nailed me for the 0W20. The car is nearing it's term so I let it go. Every 4 months, moderate climate, and all rural highway the oil schedule is overkill. If I was driving a similar Ford, Honda their internal oil change intervals would have me at 12K km or 7.5 miles.

BTW, due to a mega market shift away from sedans my MAX resale value is nowhere near it's residual. Nissan will be taking a loss on this one.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Blasterguy
Max is leased. I always attend Dealer for oil changes when the vehicle is leased and right on schedule (every 8K km or 5K miles) just so there is ZERO opportunity for push back from Nissan in case the motor lets go which has a probability of 10 million to one. For the first 2 and 1/2 years the oil was 5w30. Then a sign appeared on the service counter with some BS about the Max requiring "synthetic" oil namely "Nissan 0W20" which as noted in this thread is actually Mobil 1 0W20 in bulk form.

Just to be clear, Mobil 1 0W20 is a "severely hydrocracked" oil, classified technically as a Group 3 oil and therefore can be sold as a "synthetic" oil or as some say a "full synthetic". In contrast for comparison purposes, Mobil 1 0W40 Eurospec is actually a synthetic and is classified as a Group 4 oil.

Regardless, the Dealer ppl then started to put the pressure on to switch to this 0W20 oil or the engine warranty MAY be in jeopardy. The cost is an additional $20 plus $2.60. in tax. (CAD). I wasn't pleased with this so I said forget it. That was a year ago (3 changes a year). Just yesterday I went in for the standard oil change and upon paying I noticed that they had nailed me for the 0W20. The car is nearing it's term so I let it go. Every 4 months, moderate climate, and all rural highway the oil schedule is overkill. If I was driving a similar Ford, Honda their internal oil change intervals would have me at 12K km or 7.5 miles.

BTW, due to a mega market shift away from sedans my MAX resale value is nowhere near it's residual. Nissan will be taking a loss on this one.
Same here. My lease is almost up. Regular dino oil till I turn it in. Looks like I will extend my lease 3 months (Till late Jan 2019) to straddle the release of the 19 Maximas. I am going to call in this week and try to bargain the residual down though. If not, they can have it back.