8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Non Ethanol Gas

Old 09-06-2018, 04:56 PM

Non Ethanol Gas

I stopped at the gas station today and noticed there was a pump for "non ethanol gas". Because I hate farmers, I toyed with the idea of filling up with that instead.

Is there any benefit to using 100% Dino juice, or is the regular blend just as good?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:56 PM

I use it in my Dodge Ram and I get better mileage. I don't use it in the Maxima as I can only find 87 octane. Pure gas will burn better in the engine than it will with ethanol mixed in.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:42 AM

It's more for small motors like lawn mowers and weed eaters. Some guys will also swear by it for their boats. But in modern cars it's not really worth the extra cash. As also noted, you'd also need an Octane boost with every fillup. Just not worth it. Every 40,000 miles you can do an induction cleaning service for around $100 that will resolve buildup caused by Ethanol. But that said, if you were straight ethanol-free the life of the car, you would find there is still buildup inside the combustion environment.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
It's more for small motors like lawn mowers and weed eaters. Some guys will also swear by it for their boats. But in modern cars it's not really worth the extra cash. As also noted, you'd also need an Octane boost with every fillup. Just not worth it. Every 40,000 miles you can do an induction cleaning service for around $100 that will resolve buildup caused by Ethanol. But that said, if you were straight ethanol-free the life of the car, you would find there is still buildup inside the combustion environment.
Ethanol is very corrosive to plastic and rubber parts but it's very high octane, thats why a lot of people who modify their cars with boost tune their cars FOR e85. However, it cleans your valvetrain much better than normal fuel without ethanol. My car is tuned for 93 octane and I have methanol injection which helps cool the motor and boosts octane so the motor can use more timing without engine knock to boost power. If I were able to look at my valves I would bet they are much cleaner than a stock motor with the same miles.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima SR
Ethanol is very corrosive to plastic and rubber parts but it's very high octane, thats why a lot of people who modify their cars with boost tune their cars FOR e85. However, it cleans your valvetrain much better than normal fuel without ethanol. My car is tuned for 93 octane and I have methanol injection which helps cool the motor and boosts octane so the motor can use more timing without engine knock to boost power. If I were able to look at my valves I would bet they are much cleaner than a stock motor with the same miles.
To build on this info--there are more BTUs in pure gasoline which should make the mpg yield around 10% better. About the 10% ethanol blend ratio we see in regular gas. You have to be away from larger metro areas to get the 100% fuel which is usually sold as a premium designation. In older cars, there is a definite improvement but with the modern computer engine controls, not a lot of difference unless you are a throttle slammer.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
To build on this info--there are more BTUs in pure gasoline which should make the mpg yield around 10% better. About the 10% ethanol blend ratio we see in regular gas. You have to be away from larger metro areas to get the 100% fuel which is usually sold as a premium designation. In older cars, there is a definite improvement but with the modern computer engine controls, not a lot of difference unless you are a throttle slammer.
We have a winner. Nobody knows this. In Quebec when I use premium in shell it’s doesn’t contain ethanol at all.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
... Because I hate farmers ...
Excuse me?

Say the guy who sits typing at the dinner table, whilst having his dinner?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:59 AM

"There is a difference between states on whether premium gas specifically has ethanol in it or not. Or, more correctly, whether it's required to have it in it. Two states in the Union, Missouri and Montana, have specific exemption to allow ethanol-free premium gasoline. So if you live in one of those two states, you can be thankful.

For the rest of us, we are faced with the unpleasant reality that the refineries are all but tied into putting ethanol in premium gas. This is because they have to use the ethanol to raise the octane level of their gasoline blend in order to satisfy the higher octane requirements of premium. This is one reason why you don't get better gas mileage with premium gas, because an essential part of that blend is a component that has less energy and forces the gas mileage down simply by nature.

So don't get fooled into thinking you can escape ethanol's grasp simply by paying more and getting premium gas."

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...-ethanol-in-it
Old 09-08-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Excuse me?

Say the guy who sits typing at the dinner table, whilst having his dinner?
Haha, I was wondering when someone would call me out on that

Farmers are just fine, that was just my shorthand dig at subsidies for Big Agra

Old 09-08-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
i know some folks are running 87. I didn't see it stated on the pump but I'm assuming the ethanol free was 87 too. The price was higher than the regular, but a little below the premium (in our area).

Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
"There is a difference between states on whether premium gas specifically has ethanol in it or not. Or, more correctly, whether it's required to have it in it. Two states in the Union, Missouri and Montana, have specific exemption to allow ethanol-free premium gasoline. So if you live in one of those two states, you can be thankful.

For the rest of us, we are faced with the unpleasant reality that the refineries are all but tied into putting ethanol in premium gas. This is because they have to use the ethanol to raise the octane level of their gasoline blend in order to satisfy the higher octane requirements of premium. This is one reason why you don't get better gas mileage with premium gas, because an essential part of that blend is a component that has less energy and forces the gas mileage down simply by nature.
I have bought ethanol free premium in IA, MN, IL and KY.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Great link for Pure gas

pure-gas.org
Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
I have bought ethanol free premium in IA, MN, IL and KY.
Right, but it was likely along side Premium with up to 10% ethanol. Point being to get premium without ethanol is not at every pump/station that sells premium. It has to be designated as such.