8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

C&D comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 AM

C&D comparison

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...lsedanranked#1
Old 09-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Great in-depth article. Amazing a nearly 4-year design still matches up well with some companies much newer efforts
Old 09-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Maxima is one of the best kept secrets. Many people dismiss it because of the CVT. Me as well until I actually test drove it.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:04 AM

Interesting article. I think they made the right choice. Remember that Motor Week selected the Maxima as their Sports Car of the Year in 2016, and that 2016 model is essentially the Maxima we have had these last few years.

I was happy to see the Charger rated next to last. The Charger is not only popular in the Atlanta area, but is virtually always the vehicle involved whenever a vehicle is shown in connection with any crime in the Atlanta area. Any time my wife or I see a gray Charger, we say to each other - there goes another criminal. The Cadenza and Avalon are reliable, comfortable vehicles, but the Maxima has that styling edge and I think it is really fun to drive. Ford has dropped the Taurus, and I have disliked Chevies since the mid-1950s. Because of the dealers I had to deal with.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-28-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:12 PM

The article pans the CVT...I just don't get it...
Old 09-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
The article pans the CVT...I just don't get it...
C/D always pans the CVT, no matter what car it might be in. In my opinion it works pretty well with the V6, but it really isn't all that sporty and the Maxima is arguably the sportiest car in it's class otherwise. I've driven 4 cylinder Nissans over the years and they can be tiring due to the droning even under medium acceleration.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:48 PM

But with the CVT, when you aggressively accelerate you just keep going faster and don't have to worry about the transmission changing into a lower gear while your trying to pass someone. Far superior to the traditional transmission.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:17 AM

I don't understand it when people praise the Maxima by calling it more sporty than other full-size sedans. That class of car isn't supposed to be sporty, and the Maxima doesn't have the advantage of the extra space that is normally the reason people would buy a full-size sedan over a mid-size sedan. The real test of the Maxima is whether it is really better or more sporty than high-spec midsize sedans like the Accord and Camry.

My hunch is that when this Maxima came out, it was slightly nicer--though not necessarily more sporty--than the midsize cars that were available at the time. But it's been quickly overtaken by newly redesigned competition.

Last edited by slava; 09-30-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow....alot of trash talk about Maximas in the comment section. Most of these clowns I would bet have never even rode in a 8th gen Maxima. On top of that, most say they would prefer a V8 Chrysler/Dodge. That junk MIGHT be ok for the first couple of years in but after that crap will start literally falling off or having to be replaced. I've only test drove a Maxima twice about a year and a half apart but both times I was amazed. The CVT is a downer, though.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima SR
Wow....alot of trash talk about Maximas in the comment section. Most of these clowns I would bet have never even rode in a 8th gen Maxima. On top of that, most say they would prefer a V8 Chrysler/Dodge. That junk MIGHT be ok for the first couple of years in but after that crap will start literally falling off or having to be replaced. I've only test drove a Maxima twice about a year and a half apart but both times I was amazed. The CVT is a downer, though.
i owned a dodge once, never again. Compete and total garbage.

I personally like the CVT. , the CVTs computer can't handle unpredictable sporty driving, but in those areas where it delivers... it does so amazingly. I still can't get over how much power it has in the midrange. Such as when I'm already doing ​​​​​​60, and it can still accelerate like crazy

My only gripe with the Maxima drivetrain is that you can't easily go halfway with your driving. Its great cruising along casually around town, it's also great if your slamming on the gas (and the computer clearly detects that you want full speed). But sometimes if your driving, not on one end of the spectrum or the other, it can't quite pick the right "gear" sometimes.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima SR
The CVT is a downer, though.

I was dead set on buying one, until I drove it.....actually drove 3 of them. They all vibrated/shuddered annoyingly to the point that I could not stand it. They told me it was the tires, thats why we drove 3. Not 3 bad sets of tires. I call CVT as the reason. Sad, nice cabin!
Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by wild *****
I was dead set on buying one, until I drove it.....actually drove 3 of them. They all vibrated/shuddered annoyingly to the point that I could not stand it. They told me it was the tires, thats why we drove 3. Not 3 bad sets of tires. I call CVT as the reason. Sad, nice cabin!
How did you like the CVT in your 2012 Altima? My '07 Altima was buttery smooth in any driving scenario. The CVT is one reason I chose the Maxima over a loaded Impala. I haven't looked back yet.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
How did you like the CVT in your 2012 Altima? My '07 Altima was buttery smooth in any driving scenario. The CVT is one reason I chose the Maxima over a loaded Impala. I haven't looked back yet.
I hate it. The one in the max is far superior....but the vibrations in the ones I drove were bad.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:14 PM

I hate it. The one in the max is far superior....but the vibrations in the ones I drove were bad.
Very unusual to drive 3 Maximas with vibrations. This is NOT normal. Were these cars used? Most of our cars here have CVT's that do not vibrate or stutter.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Very unusual to drive 3 Maximas with vibrations. This is NOT normal. Were these cars used? Most of our cars here have CVT's that do not vibrate or stutter.
Brand new cars.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:22 AM

Brand new cars.
Wow. That would have been a deal-breaker as far as a Maxima is concerned. On this site I have read of a similar experience from another member, but I believe that was a tire problem on multiples of different test-driven Maximas.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 PM

I'll bet it was tires way over pressure and the dealer never put the pressure back to normal. Probably a good dealer to walk away from.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:41 AM

How is 4G and Wi-Fi hotspot "optional"?
Like "go to your local T-Mobile store and buy one"?

Nonsense - good job C&D.