8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

USB ports - reading capacity issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM

USB ports - reading capacity issue

2018 Maxima SV, bought brand new. I inserted a 16 GB USB stick in one of the ports, and quickly realized it would only read 255 out of my 1781 songs on it (all MP3 format, if that matters). Switched the port - same result. Re-formatted the USB stick to FAT32, re-copied the music -same result, it can read only 255 out of the 1781 songs.

I used the exact same USB stick to play music in my former car, a 2016 Camry - no issue whatsoever (well, Entune is slow compared to Nissan's audio system but that's unrelated). Always was able to find and read all 1781 songs.

Called the dealer, they had no clue. All they had to suggest was that the USB ports are designed to connect your phone to them, not to play tons of songs. I find that very, very hard to believe - especially considering that the main connection between the phone and the car is via Bluetooth.

Is anybody having the same problem? Any suggestion?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by lionel2013
2018 Maxima SV, bought brand new. I inserted a 16 GB USB stick in one of the ports, and quickly realized it would only read 255 out of my 1781 songs on it (all MP3 format, if that matters). Switched the port - same result. Re-formatted the USB stick to FAT32, re-copied the music -same result, it can read only 255 out of the 1781 songs.

I used the exact same USB stick to play music in my former car, a 2016 Camry - no issue whatsoever (well, Entune is slow compared to Nissan's audio system but that's unrelated). Always was able to find and read all 1781 songs.

Called the dealer, they had no clue. All they had to suggest was that the USB ports are designed to connect your phone to them, not to play tons of songs. I find that very, very hard to believe - especially considering that the main connection between the phone and the car is via Bluetooth.

I'm no expert at all but it's reading those 255 files from someplace. Plug your USB into your computer and see which folder your car is reading those files from. Then move the remaining files into the same folder. This is just a suggestion. My guess is that the car is only reading one folder. But I honestly have no clue.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:07 PM

As per the manual, Page 3-6, it supports 255 files per folder:

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...ion-manual.pdf
3. Audio system Specification chart for USB
Supported media USB2.0
Supported file systems FAT12, FAT16, FAT32
Folder levels; Folder levels: 8, Files via folder: 255, Folders: 512 (including root folder),
Files: 8000
Tag information (Song title, Artist name and Album name)
ID3 tag VER1.0, VER1.1, VER2.2, VER2.3, VER2.4 (MP3 only)
WMA tag (WMA only)
AAC tag (AAC only)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:13 PM

Per lindros2 post it seems like you have all of your files in one folder of which the system will only read 255 of the files. Split them up into multiple folders and see if you have better luck.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
As per the manual, Page 3-6, it supports 255 files per folder:

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...ion-manual.pdf
3. Audio system Specification chart for USB
Supported media USB2.0
Supported file systems FAT12, FAT16, FAT32
Folder levels; Folder levels: 8, Files via folder: 255, Folders: 512 (including root folder),
Files: 8000
Tag information (Song title, Artist name and Album name)
ID3 tag VER1.0, VER1.1, VER2.2, VER2.3, VER2.4 (MP3 only)
WMA tag (WMA only)
AAC tag (AAC only)
Thank you all so much!! Indeed, all 1781 songs are in one folder ... and it does report seeing only one folder. I did go through the manual but I must confess I did not read it page by page.

Lesson learned - next time refer to the manual if things don't work right. Another lesson learned - don't expect solutions for every problem from the dealer - the two dealerships I called today were completely clueless (even worse, one of them gave me the wrong information, as it turns out). I guess the answer is read the manual, first, then go to the "Internets" :-) to get the correct answers. This reminds me of my very first experience with a Nissan dealer after I bought my first Maxima, in May of 2005. I take it to another dealer (we had moved) for the car's first maintenance appointment, in the Houston suburbs (Nissan of Clear Lake). After sitting there for an hour, they come back and tell me the car is ready. I ask them point blank if they had checked the car's fluids' levels, and if they topped them off ... They said, yes, of course. On a hunch, I lift the car's hood, and the windshield wiper fluid tank was half empty. Then, on another hunch, I ask them what is the correct tire pressure for my car. Not only didn't they know what that number was, but didn't even know where, on the car, to look. Needless to say I never went back to them, but sadly, it looks like they are not very different from one another.

Back to my problem: reorganizing my music into folders not exceeding 255 tracks per song will take some time but will be worth it.

Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:53 PM

I gave up on trying to use USB sticks in my car. It plays just fine, but 50% of the time it fails to remember where it was and returns to track 1, After turning off the car. Tried several different USB sticks too.

Fortunately, it works great with an iPod touch, so Im using that instead. That also has the added benefit of playlists, and different ways to sort the tunes

Old 12-17-2018, 04:57 PM

The going back to track #1 not unique to Nissan, had the same thing happen with my fmr Camry's Entune system. As long as you set the player to random, all you have to do is move on to the next.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:10 AM

Thank you all so much!! Indeed, all 1781 songs are in one folder ... and it does report seeing only one folder. I did go through the manual but I must confess I did not read it page by page.

Lesson learned - next time refer to the manual if things don't work right. Another lesson learned - don't expect solutions for every problem from the dealer - the two dealerships I called today were completely clueless (even worse, one of them gave me the wrong information, as it turns out). I guess the answer is read the manual, first, then go to the "Internets" :-) to get the correct answers. This reminds me of my very first experience with a Nissan dealer after I bought my first Maxima, in May of 2005. I take it to another dealer (we had moved) for the car's first maintenance appointment, in the Houston suburbs (Nissan of Clear Lake). After sitting there for an hour, they come back and tell me the car is ready. I ask them point blank if they had checked the car's fluids' levels, and if they topped them off ... They said, yes, of course. On a hunch, I lift the car's hood, and the windshield wiper fluid tank was half empty. Then, on another hunch, I ask them what is the correct tire pressure for my car. Not only didn't they know what that number was, but didn't even know where, on the car, to look. Needless to say I never went back to them, but sadly, it looks like they are not very different from one another.

Back to my problem: reorganizing my music into folders not exceeding 255 tracks per song will take some time but will be worth it.

Thanks again.
NP.

Honestly, I gave up on USB sticks too. Between haphazard track/album names (sometimes truncated) and breaking off USB plugs (or more recently, inability to remove a really stuck one) started my journey away...
... and now CarPlay + Amazon Music (+ XM, sorry I still pay for it) finished the job.

As a very early (MP3) adopter, I just have no need for them any more. Everything is in the cloud.