8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Car keeps getting broken into!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car keeps getting broken into!!!

Hey guys, I have a 2018 max platinum. Apparently it takes thieves seconds to pop my door handle and push in the key hole lock to make the two front windows come straight down and they are in my car. This has happen 2x already and speaking with cops the Nissan Maxima is one of their favorite cars to break into because of the ease.

Besides a after market alarm is it a way to disconnect the automatic window feature? This has happen 2x already so I had the body shop take out the key hole lock which the thieves press in to make the windows go down. But when I do that and press the unlock button my windows come down. So I had to put it back in.

Any suggestions
Old 12-18-2018, 03:32 PM

Well as long a you are keeping that tasty case of beer on the back seat, how do you expect me to resist!?

I don't wanna do it, but a guy has his limits

Old 12-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IPA man hun, the pumpkin spice for white guys.

It’s just a ****ty feature to have that makes it almost comical for thieves. Pop off your key hole cover and push in your locking mechanism and boom windows down. No key needed no need to break windows smh.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by yankeebluemax
It’s just a ****ty feature to have that makes it almost comical for thieves. Pop off your key hole cover and push in your locking mechanism and boom windows down. No key needed no need to break windows smh.
Do they have to damage the "locking mechanism" in order for the windows to lower?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 PM

Add the factory shock sensor. At best you can catch them in the act maybe.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Do they have to damage the "locking mechanism" in order for the windows to lower?
seems like they just take a tool and push it in. Doesn’t look like it takes much effort to push the lock in after they take off the cover.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM

Why would you want to disable the auto feature. Now they are going to smash the windows to get in. BTW what is so interesting in your car that they want to get in?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Richard66
Why would you want to disable the auto feature. Now they are going to smash the windows to get in. BTW what is so interesting in your car that they want to get in?
police in my city tell me Maxima’s and some infinities are being targeted because of the ease it takes to get the windows down after you removed the cover over the key hole. So I guess that’s what’s interesting to them.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM

seems like they just take a tool and push it in. Doesn’t look like it takes much effort to push the lock in after they take off the cover.

when they "push the lock in" does that break it, or do they just push it and it returns to normal position?
Old 12-18-2018, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The lock breaks and you are unable to open the door but if you push in the broken lock the windows still go down automatically. With out a key obviously
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM

police in my city tell me Maxima’s and some infinities are being targeted because of the ease it takes to get the windows down after you removed the cover over the key hole. So I guess that’s what’s interesting to them.
I think YankeeMax is asking what it is in your car that makes them want to break in. Yes, getting in is easy, but if there is nothing visible in the car, would they still break in? I keep virtually nothing in the passenger area of my car. The primary object of car breakins down here in middle Georgia is the handgun thieves hope to find hidden in the glove compartment, and in this area, they very often find one. I am lucky in that I always have my Maxima locked up in my garage unless I am travelling or shopping, and I try to shop or eat where I can see the car from inside the store/restaurant.

There have been several shootings in the Atlanta area recently where car owners returning to their car accosted someone breaking into their car, and a struggle ensued. Several owners have been shot, two fatally. It is a cruel world out there. Please never ever try to refuel your vehicle after dark in the Atlanta area. It is far too dangerous.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I think YankeeMax is asking what it is in your car that makes them want to break in. Yes, getting in is easy, but if there is nothing visible in the car, would they still break in? I keep virtually nothing in the passenger area of my car. The primary object of car breakins down here in middle Georgia is the handgun thieves hope to find hidden in the glove compartment, and in this area, they very often find one. I am lucky in that I always have my Maxima locked up in my garage unless I am travelling or shopping, and I try to shop or eat where I can see the car from inside the store/restaurant.

There have been several shootings in the Atlanta area recently where car owners returning to their car accosted someone breaking into their car, and a struggle ensued. Several owners have been shot, two fatally. It is a cruel world out there. Please never ever try to refuel your vehicle after dark in the Atlanta area. It is far too dangerous.
Canada sounds real good right now.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
Canada sounds real good right now.
So does my area in Ohio.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 AM

Wait, what??? So I have this clear (I see it's been stated a few times, just trying to get perfect clarity) So pushing in the lock engages the auto windows down feature you get with the remote by holding the unlock button???? And during this process no alarm even goes off???

This sounds like a failure to produce a secure vehicle on Nissan's part...I'd take this up with their customer service since you've been hit multiple times. If this is a rash of known problems in high crime areas, not an isolated one car problem, then there should be a recall for this, a repair that prevents this failure of security. It's one thing if someone breaks glass, can't stop that, but to use the tech from the car to gain full access without setting off an alarm, that's crap.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

You need a garage, crackheads will smash glass if you figure out what to do to fix the lock thing. I live in a great area but still never have left my cars outside because kids are stupid, crack, and **** happens.