8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2019's are rolling in.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I really dislike the reflectors moved down into the rear bumper.
Yeah. What's with that. Don't like.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Yeah. What's with that. Don't like.

Nissan doing what others are doing. Just like the new Accord has the same thing as well.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey everyone!

Went to go see a 2019 in person today. Can't say that I was "moved". I like the front end, although I prefer my bulky Nissan hamburger in my grille versus the flat one in the 2019.

Still not a fan of the rear bumper, with the exception of the clear taillights, which I think look better than the red housings on the 16-18.

So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the next gen has to offer. Until then, I'll continue to baby my "16 to death. Lol.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

To me, it actually looks very Lexus-ish.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SRDemi
To me, it actually looks very Lexus-ish.
Yes. That's part of the problem.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:26 PM

I really like the Sunset Drift (burnt orange) on the SE. I would probably opt for Brilliant Silver for the Platinum, although I did not see brilliant Silver listed in an earlier post above as an option on the 2019 Maxima? Surely Nissan has not dropped Silver as a Maxima color?

I like the 2019 Maxima, but not enough to part with my 2016 Platinum. I have actually caught people standing right next to my car at the far end of parking lots taking photos of it with their phone. Warm fuzzy. I will be glad when spring returns and I can clean up my car again. We have had an absolutely miserable fall, weather-wise, and it is pouring rain with lightning all around here in middle Georgia at 1:30AM Friday morning. We are supposed to have heavy rain with flooding every day through New Years day.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Surely Nissan has not dropped Silver as a Maxima color?
It is still available.

I have actually caught people standing right next to my car at the far end of parking lots taking photos of it with their phone.
Dude. As a GT-R owner, this happened to me. But a Maxima?
I live in Georgia - could it be that it’s not a pickup?
There are hundreds of Hertz rental Maximas...

Old 12-28-2018, 09:18 AM

<<Dude. As a GT-R owner, this happened to me. But a Maxima?
I live in Georgia - could it be that it’s not a pickup?
There are hundreds of Hertz rental Maximas...>>

I am not at all surprised there are people taking pics of the 8th generation Maxima, it does looks very slick/sporty. I personally already got lots of compliments for it, and I have only owned it for a month.

Also, I really don't understand, at all, the statement about the Maxima being available as a rental car, and its implication. Don't get this at all. Lots of other maxes and models are available at rental car places, including luxury cars! Yes, you an rent an 8th generation Max most places, so what? Does that make it a lesser car? I don't think so.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by lionel2013
I am not at all surprised there are people taking pics of the 8th generation Maxima
I am.

Also, I really don't understand, at all, the statement about the Maxima being available as a rental car, and its implication.
I was interring that there are a large NUMBER of them driving around. So it’s not rare.

so what? Does that make it a lesser car? I don't think so.
Actually - yes, yes it does. Fleet sales KILL residuals. Fact. Period. A “lesser car” - if you’re referring to perception, yes, that too. ROOT CAUSE why Ghosn was ousted - was driving VOLUME, not profit, in the USA (financial crimes were the means to get him out),

I might not be able to justify a $650 Maxima lease - same reason we didn’t get a Chrysler Pacifica - fleet sales have (in part) driven residual down to 33% - yes one THIRD - after 3 years.

The Maxima is not an Audi. It is a lesser car.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
It is definitely a more expensive car. My uncle and friend, who have C7/C5, and have more dealer trips than I in many fewer miles might quibble about about the "better."
Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
It is definitely a more expensive car. My uncle and friend, who have C7/C5, and have more dealer trips than I in many fewer miles might quibble about about the "better."
sorry we’re going off topic, but the relevance here is price - MSRP, purchase/cap cost, and lease rate.
At $44-46k (no idea what or where $2000 of factory-installed options are coming from!!), the Maxima is in Kia Stinger (RWD/AWD), Alfa Guilia, Audi A4, and Genesis G70 territory. If Max residual sucks on a lease, it’s like paying MSRP for one of those other cars.

Ever look closely at Audi interior details? I have a Q5 loaner this week, and the aluminum trim on sunroof shade cover, general plastics throughout, and fit-and-finish are miles above my Maxima. 3-year old Maxima squeaks and rattles all over the place. And hard plastics throughout.

Conversely, my new Honda Odyssey feels like a huge Honda Civic but smells like an Acura. Go figure.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:49 AM

<<The Maxima is not an Audi. It is a lesser car.>>

Wrong again.
The Maxima is not a lesser car, it's in a different car class.
And you should not be surprised the Maxima is capable of turning heads - the heads of those of us who like hot cars but cannot afford/do not want to spend money on a luxury car. I personally love the big Audi's, but don't want to spend the money on a new one, and according to my ex father in law who was a car mechanic and a race car driver for decades, German car reliability blows chunks, and spare parts are very expensive.

So I couldn't give a rat's *** about how many Maxima are rental fleet cars - I love them and I think they are great cars within their class.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wrong again.
And you should not be surprised the Maxima is capable of turning heads - the heads of those of us who like hot cars but cannot afford/do not want to spend money on a luxury car. I personally love the big Audi's, but don't want to spend the money on a new one, and according to my ex father in law who was a car mechanic and a race car driver for decades, German car reliability blows chunks, and spare parts are very expensive.

So I couldn't give a rat's *** about how many Maxima are rental fleet cars - I love them and I think they are great cars within their class.
My best friend had an Audi and traded it swiftly for a new Honda Accord b/c once the warranty was up, every little thing/repair was like paying another car note. lmao
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM

Wrong again.

Amen to that. Maxima is a good car for those who want good features without paying for the fancy badge. Surely, the luxury brands make some good cars that can stand on their own merits, but it's foolishness just to buy a car because of its name

Old 12-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Wrong again.

Hurrummphhh!!!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:13 PM

I think some folks are taking photos of my Maxima because there are still not a lot of 8th gen Platinums on the road around where I live. Lexus and Mercedes are the most popular brands around here. Both those brands 'send' a message that I feel does not represent me. Now a GT-R would represent the real me, but I'm not quite ready to begin cashing in all my stock . . . Maybe lindros2 will let me borrow his GT-R on weekends? . . .

In normal weather (which we didn't have this year), my Maxima is kept clean, so looks nice. Brilliant Silver with lots of black stuff tacked on. I have the black rear diffuser, self-made black hard rubber molding strips above the rocker strips, hard black molding around all wheel wells, black splash guards, etc. Some would say I have junked up what was a smooth-looking car. That would be true. Makes for what would be considered as a non-photogenic Maxima by real Maxima fans, but the junk makes it easy to spot my Maxima in a large parking lot. I plan to add dark rain guards, but so far have not seen rain guards that are getting good reviews and look decent. If I was techno-oriented, I would post a photo of my Maxima here and enjoy the laughter. But the only camera I have is on my 1990s flip phone. Just as well.

I am already in sort of a wait state' for the 9th generation Maxima, which could be here in three or so years (I suspect four years is more likely), with enticing tidbits arriving well before that. But Nissan is pretty darn good at keeping new stuff under cover as long as possible. We will see . . . But I babble as usual.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:05 PM

I did see a 19 black Maxima today.. Its better looking than the 18 model, but still looks like a Altima. The front and back are much better looking.
Not liking the exhaust... Looks like a Lexus or Benz exhaust.
I really hope they completely redesign in a couple of years... I can't see spending 40 grand on a Maxima that looks much too close to a 20 grand Altima.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2

I am.

I was interring that there are a large NUMBER of them driving around. So it’s not rare.

Actually - yes, yes it does. Fleet sales KILL residuals. Fact. Period. A “lesser car” - if you’re referring to perception, yes, that too. ROOT CAUSE why Ghosn was ousted - was driving VOLUME, not profit, in the USA (financial crimes were the means to get him out),

I might not be able to justify a $650 Maxima lease - same reason we didn’t get a Chrysler Pacifica - fleet sales have (in part) driven residual down to 33% - yes one THIRD - after 3 years.

" The Maxima is not an Audi. It is a lesser car." Unless you want to compare cost of ownership, including initial purchase price.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:35 PM

" The Maxima is not an Audi. It is a lesser car." Unless you want to compare cost of ownership, including initial purchase price.
Audi is a piece of crap.. See hundreds of them at Auction every month.. No resale and too expensive to maintain... Junk...
Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 PM

Saw my first 2019 Maxima SL on the road today. I really like the tails and that is about it.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
I did see a 19 black Maxima today.. Its better looking than the 18 model, but still looks like a Altima. The front and back are much better looking.
I really hope they completely redesign in a couple of years... I can't see spending 40 grand on a Maxima that looks much too close to a 20 grand Altima.
Well it seems from your postings you are not a Maxima fan. So be it - but I have had my 2016 Maxima since Oct 2015 and find it to be the best Maxima ever! Even today the 2019 version still holds up very well with all the newest products from the others and still has the value proposition for equipment that soundly beats the competition.
I just ordered a loaded 2019 Platinum (without the monkey butt color interior). This car continues to be refined with this 2019 version. Is the 2016 better looking than the 2019? Subjective.

Not sure why you continue to complain since your points are made already. Now the market will decide who is right.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Well it seems from your postings you are not a Maxima fan. So be it - but I have had my 2016 Maxima since Oct 2015 and find it to be the best Maxima ever! Even today the 2019 version still holds up very well with all the newest products from the others and still has the value proposition for equipment that soundly beats the competition.
I just ordered a loaded 2019 Platinum (without the monkey butt color interior). This car continues to be refined with this 2019 version. Is the 2016 better looking than the 2019? Subjective.

Not sure why you continue to complain since your points are made already. Now the market will decide who is right.
LOL.. I have a Maxima.. I love them... just not the 8th Gen... They look like ****... deal with it...
Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 AM

LOL.. I have a Maxima.. I love them... just not the 8th Gen... They look like ****... deal with it...
I had a 7th Gen Premium loaded and it was a good car. I loved the radio and heater controls in the rear seat arm rest. They also had auto up and down rear windows! Didn't much care for that de-contenting but the 8th Gen is just more refined with things that really count.Including the tighter CVT . So the aesthetics in this radical redesign aren't for you but the rest of us are very happy with what we see.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:18 AM

.... find it to be the best Maxima ever! Even today the 2019 version still holds up very well with all the newest products from the others and still has the value proposition for equipment that soundly beats the competition.
...... This car continues to be refined with this 2019 version. Is the 2016 better looking than the 2019? Subjective.

..... Now the market will decide who is right.
I agree!
Old 12-29-2018, 03:45 PM

You "looks like an Altima" people need to get your vision checked.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I agree. The Maxima is easy to tell from the Altima.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Beautiful car
Old 12-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
You guys think it was a mistake Nissan going with 19” wheels on Platinum model? 245/40 definetly going to be louder, rougher and more expensive to replace tires.
I think the 18" would be fine. The 19" ride too hard and don't give a big handling improvement to offset the ride and cost.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 AM

I had a 7th Gen Premium loaded and it was a good car. I loved the radio and heater controls in the rear seat arm rest. They also had auto up and down rear windows! Didn't much care for that de-contenting but the 8th Gen is just more refined with things that really count.Including the tighter CVT . So the aesthetics in this radical redesign aren't for you but the rest of us are very happy with what we see.
"They also had auto up and down rear windows!" Seriously! My brother's just has a powered window shade. Would one lose trunk room with the rear window down? Up and down with a complex curved glass would be a trick I'd like to see.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:48 AM

"They also had auto up and down rear windows!" Seriously! My brother's just has a powered window shade. Would one lose trunk room with the rear window down? Up and down with a complex curved glass would be a trick I'd like to see.
Rear door windows...not the single rear glass.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
Rear door windows...not the single rear glass.
I get it now. Actually, I was being a little facetious, aka smart _ss.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:14 AM

I know, right? And I wear glasses! It's not like the Stinger and the Optima where you definitely can't tell them apart on first glance.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Trim level options are kinda awkward. I think in 2019 every car has to have BSW as standard. 18 has front and rear sonar as standard.. they removed that from SV and replaced BSW and moved Sonar system to SL trim. Instead of adding more features Nissan just plays around with them.

And I don’t like the fact that why on earth they don’t give option to customize Maxima. You have to buy pre-built options.

Also can somebody confirm that Fog Lights comes only with SR and Platinum?

Last edited by NisCal17; 01-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
Trim level options are kinda awkward. I think in 2019 every car has to have BSW as standard. 18 has front and rear sonar as standard.. they removed that from SV and replaced BSW and moved Sonar system to SL trim. Instead of adding more features Nissan just plays around with them.

And I don’t like the fact that why on earth they don’t give option to customize Maxima. You have to buy pre-built options.

What's BSW?

As for no customization it makes perfect business sense - the more standardization/no customization saves them money. And, I might add, with five trims to choose from, I don't think they are being unreasonable.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Administrator

What's BSW?
Blind Spot Warning
Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM

My '17SL has stock fogs.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:28 PM

What's BSW?

As for no customization it makes perfect business sense - the more standardization/no customization saves them money. And, I might add, with five trims to choose from, I don't think they are being unreasonable.
Big Sexy Women

comes standard with the new Max!

Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Driven a 2019?

Has anyone driven - or purchased - a 2019 yet?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:31 AM

Probably the same experience as 2015-2018. It’s not like a total redesigned car.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:37 PM

Probably the same experience as 2015-2018. It’s not like a total redesigned car.
Did you drive a 2019? Or just post this to stir the pot?

"Has anyone used an iPhone Xs? Probably the same experience as an iPhone X. It’s not like a total redesigned phone."

Quick Reply: 2019's are rolling in.....