8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Normal vs Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 AM

Normal vs Sport

I own a 2017 Maxima SL. I've drive in "normal" mode 99.9% of the time. I've only used "sport" on long road trips to west Texas where the added sip comes in handy for passing farm equipment at 90 mph lol. I've seen in threads where people drive in sport mode exclusively and claim sport mode is more efficient. Is this true? I would think the opposite but I'm really ignorant regarding cars. Would someone please explain to me the "benefits" of sport mode? Advantages/disadvantages vs normal. Thanks guys!
Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dbut82
I own a 2017 Maxima SL. I've drive in "normal" mode 99.9% of the time. I've only used "sport" on long road trips to west Texas where the added sip comes in handy for passing farm equipment at 90 mph lol. I've seen in threads where people drive in sport mode exclusively and claim sport mode is more efficient. Is this true? I would think the opposite but I'm really ignorant regarding cars. Would someone please explain to me the "benefits" of sport mode? Advantages/disadvantages vs normal. Thanks guys!
I can't say that Sport over Normal gives me better MPG. I have a 2016 SR. My Max is averaging around 27.6 (Sport or Normal). I haven't seen it get above that average. I typically travel 80 to 85 MPH HWY. I suppose if I were to bring it down to 70-75 MPH, I might see an improvement. There are occasions I open it up in a remote area on a straight line and take it to 120. I have topped it only once at the limit (135). It's hard to contain myself with this car because it doesn't take much on the accelerator to get it up there quickly. I like the softer ride in Normal Mode and not having to white knuckling the steering, but I also love Sport Mode where the steering tightens and you feel the ground much more pronounced while the enhanced throttle gives you quite a bit of pop on the gas. The biggest rush is running at cruising speed, whatever that may be, and then nailing it. The car is just very responsive and quick.

So, as it relates to MPG in Sport and Normal, I'm not experiencing any better results one way or the other. I can also say with all the fun I have with the car getting on it, I'm not seeing it affect it adversely either. I just enjoy this car very much. Once you understand how to manipulate the CVT, you get around any potential droning and just let the car perform as it should. I also don't rabbit jump from a stop. All my hard accelerations are from cruising speeds. That's where you get a really good taste of the powerband.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:45 AM

<<So, as it relates to MPG in Sport and Normal, I'm not experiencing any better results one way or the other. I can also say with all the fun I have with the car getting on it, I'm not seeing it affect it adversely either. I just enjoy this car very much. Once you understand how to manipulate the CVT, you get around any potential droning and just let the car perform as it should. I also don't rabbit jump from a stop. All my hard accelerations are from cruising speeds. That's where you get a really good taste of the powerband.>>

Agree 100% with everything said. I have seen no gas mileage difference between the two modes, and I use the sport mode mostly when I am on the highway. And yes, it is very true that you get to experience all the power this car has to offer when accelerating from 40 mph upwards, not from a dead stop.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Do we have a consensus that sport is faster than normal from a cruise?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:52 AM

I think sports mode is kinda useless on the highway. I find the best use for it... somewhere out on the curvy mountain roads. It keeps rpm high for a faster take over or when you cornering. On the highway it can only be useful if you will take over multiple vehicles a head of you by zig zagging them.( will look like reckless driving). When car keeps high RPM sure it will burn more fuel. Try to do city driving on sports mode it revs like crazy... when you let off accelerator pedal.

Last edited by NisCal17; 12-21-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Nothing official I have read indicates that Sport Mode changes the suspension. It changes throttle response and transmission logic, while increasing steering feel. Cars with Active Sound get a change in that as well, but nothing with the suspension.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by slava
I concur
Old 12-21-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Nothing official I have read indicates that Sport Mode changes the suspension. It changes throttle response and transmission logic, while increasing steering feel. Cars with Active Sound get a change in that as well, but nothing with the suspension.
Sport mode adjusts engine, transmission, and steering to enhance performance.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:21 PM

I use sport with highway driving. That snappy and instant response is fantastic when needed. The rpms jump so much faster then normal a night and day difference.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 12-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by slava
i wish there was some kind of official comparison. I presume all the pro reviewers such as "car and driver", only test in Sport Mode exclusively. So it would be cool to see what the 0-60 time is in Normal mode.

my experience is that Normal mode is still pretty darned fast. I leave it in normal 90% of the time. It does fall a bit flat if your trying to gun it at a yellow light though. Normal mode is a bit conservative with the throttle in that scenario, and it may seem less powerful than it really is.

The weird part about Normal mode is when you clearly are accelerating, but the RPMs are dropping. It doesn't bother me at all, but at first it took some getting used to. Sport mode does a much better job of pretending to sound like a normal transmission.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson
I concur
Don't count me in. I find no difference in accel. at cruise in either mode, except for my radio to mimic engine sound. Gawd I hate fake noise. Use the money, Nissan, and cut me a break on better flow mufflers. I need that good, real sound coming in through my windows, not traveling from inside to outside!
Old 12-24-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Don't count me in. I find no difference in accel. at cruise in either mode, except for my radio to mimic engine sound. Gawd I hate fake noise. Use the money, Nissan, and cut me a break on better flow mufflers. I need that good, real sound coming in through my windows, not traveling from inside to outside!

Its not fake. Nissan worked with Bose and put a microphone in to pipe the engine noise with in the cabin. I need to find the link a Nissan/Bose engineer talking about this. I read it some where online.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:05 AM

From the Owners Manual on Sport Mode: "The Sport Mode adjusts the engine, transmission and steering to enhance performance. In the Sport Mode fuel economy may be reduced."

From the Owners Manual on Active Sound Control (also called Active Sound Enhancement, came with the SL, SR and Platinum): "Active Sound Control enhances existing engine sounds according to the engine speed and driving modes through the speakers and woofer."

More on the above from Bose, which they call Active Sound Management: https://automotive.bose.com/technolo...und-management

Above link found at this Bose site that describes the Bose system in the Maxima: https://automotive.bose.com/vehicles/nissan/maxima
Old 12-25-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
From the Owners Manual on Sport Mode: "The Sport Mode adjusts the engine, transmission and steering to enhance performance. In the Sport Mode fuel economy may be reduced."

From the Owners Manual on Active Sound Control (also called Active Sound Enhancement, came with the SL, SR and Platinum): "Active Sound Control enhances existing engine sounds according to the engine speed and driving modes through the speakers and woofer."

More on the above from Bose, which they call Active Sound Management: https://automotive.bose.com/technolo...und-management

Above link found at this Bose site that describes the Bose system in the Maxima: https://automotive.bose.com/vehicles/nissan/maxima
Guys, I respectfully beg to differ with you. If a computer program tries to mimic (enhance?) my existing engine sound (is that engine sound, exhaust output sound, or both, or what?) and pipe it through my speakers then I consider that faked. I want to not only hear the roar, but feel it as well. I want to hear those dB sound pulses directly from my exhaust tips directly to my ears, not through the danged Bose speakers... and I want those outside the car to hear my roar as well. Likewise, if the tire manufacturers were to drastically reduce the tire squeal on aggressive launches to "barely audible", I would not want Nissan to enhance what miniscule squeal was left and pipe it through my speakers. Is it just me?
Old 12-25-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Guys, I respectfully beg to differ with you. If a computer program tries to mimic (enhance?) my existing engine sound (is that engine sound, exhaust output sound, or both, or what?) and pipe it through my speakers then I consider that faked. I want to not only hear the roar, but feel it as well. I want to hear those dB sound pulses directly from my exhaust tips directly to my ears, not through the danged Bose speakers... and I want those outside the car to hear my roar as well. Likewise, if the tire manufacturers were to drastically reduce the tire squeal on aggressive launches to "barely audible", I would not want Nissan to enhance what miniscule squeal was left and pipe it through my speakers. Is it just me?
After all the sound denting was done. Nissan found the motor to be to quiet and wanted folks to hear it. Hence Nissan working with Bose on the sound system and came up with the mic idea being placed some where in the engine bay. Piping the engine noise through the speakers. So it’s not fake in the way it’s being piped in. That is the legit noise of the engine goodness.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:54 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild

After all the sound denting was done. Nissan found the motor to be to quiet and wanted folks to hear it. Hence Nissan working with Bose on the sound system and came up with the mic idea being placed some where in the engine bay. Piping the engine noise through the speakers. So it’s not fake in the way it’s being piped in. That is the legit noise of the engine goodness.
I want to hear my exhaust, not the engine noises. Suppose there is a mic in the exhaust headers? Still would not work for me. I'd go Corsa Extreme any day. Wonder how much engineering $$ went into that piped-in sound, and I don't even use Sport mode mostly due to the faked electric stiffened steering. That's all you will hear from me on this subject. Normally agree with your opinions and info however, Fatties.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:12 PM

You may be able to disable the piped in (or fake of you prefer) sound by visiting this menu....

It shows two options, one for ANC which is clearly the noise cancellation, and ASC... which I'm not sure what that it is but could be the sound enhancement. I haven't tried it yet, but it's not very noticeable on my car anyway so I haven't bothered.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
You may be able to disable the piped in (or fake of you prefer) sound by visiting this menu....

It shows two options, one for ANC which is clearly the noise cancellation, and ASC... which I'm not sure what that it is but could be the sound enhancement. I haven't tried it yet, but it's not very noticeable on my car anyway so I haven't bothered.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTei0LkALtE

I believe the issue with that is the setting won’t stick. Need to do it every time you start up the car again.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I believe the issue with that is the setting won’t stick. Need to do it every time you start up the car again.
Oh well, there is always option C... tear out the Bose and replace it with something else... which some have done to get Great (not just adequate) sound

Old 12-26-2018, 04:15 PM

Sport mode 99.9% of the time. The car is super responsive at Highway Speeds flying around another vehicle or on surface streets to get up and go from a dead start at a light. Normal mode is sluggish at best and I only use it in very heavy stop/go traffic to reduce tranny shock. If you can't feel the difference, then you are not really pushing the car to go. The most annoying thing is that I cannot place it permanently in Sport Mode, but have to chose it every time I start the engine, but the car is so awesome that, well, if that's the only hangup then no biggie.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:30 PM

I found that during stretches when I use sport quite a bit, my MPG drops very slightly. It almost has to be that way, because sport is both increasing the RPMs and moving the weight of the car more quickly than normal mode. I consider sport mode to be either for fun driving or for situations where I want quick acceleration on tap, or for when I am driving curvy mountain roads and want to have engine braking as part of the equation.

For regular everyday driving where traffic is very heavy or sluggish (which is most of the time where I live), and speeds are closely monitored by law enforcement, I keep the tranny in normal and just slog along with the rest of the herd.