8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2019 Interior - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 AM

2019 Interior - quick review

So I had the chance to sit in a Platinum Reserve (not drive it - my fault not dealer), and here's a quick review.

1. Navigation is updated moderately and looks nicer (lighter theme and bolder lines make the shapes stick out more). There is a bunch here, but in general, they've brought the UI elements forward a couple of years. If it was 2011 or 2012, this would be class- or industry-leading, but, alas, it's 2019, so it's way behind cars at a similar price point (Volvo, lower-end Tesla Model 3, BMW, Audi, etc.).
2. The speakers (volume) is far louder. No idea why/how, but compared to mine, it's huge. Could be a stronger SiriusXM receiver, but seems like they overhauled the Bose system. There are also many, many more detents (finer-grained volume - like 20-30 steps instead of 10-16).
3. You can tell that the CPU is struggling to keep up with the infotainment animation and other updates. So Nissan has applied lipstick to an underpowered pig.
4. Moving along, as the press have indicated, the bronze-colored plastic trim pieces are pretty awful. I liked the plood (plastic wood), my family hated it, but this new stuff is awful. The twisted 3-D look of the 2015-19 aluminum is superior.
5. The charcoal headliner is nice. They definitely replaced every piece with black - so it wasn't a simple fabric color change. Side-note - on my BMW's with the anthracite (dark) headliner, it got so hot in the summer that could smell the glue burning (this wasn't the case with my previous grey headliner car).
6. Illuminated USB ports are handy. I struggled finding mine (2016 model) last night at the airport.
7. But the most surprising - and disappointing - is the semi-aniline leather. It's hard (maybe will soften up), shiny (no texture), and almost plastic-looking. This goes totally against my experience with the black leather in my 2016 Platinum - which is grained (obviously) and actually felt like a step *up* from my BMW 535i (less obvious). Oh, and it has no odor improvement over the other leather - I'm thinking of BMW/Audi/M-B/Lexus/Infiniti whose leather definitely improves as the price goes up. Sure the Maxima is $44k and you can easily spend $55k for a 3-series, but come on.

Final footnote - as you can see in my photo (other thread about 2019 trickling in), the seatbelts and hardware are all black. On the press/pre-production cars, they were light grey, which is epically cheap.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:27 AM

Two more quick notes:

1. They redesigned the rattling trunk counterbalance rod nonsense. Different material (unfinished aluminum?) and a new clip.
2. The entry steering wheel movement (back to normal position) sounded like the steering wheel was going to crack and fall off.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:21 PM

So as a 16 Platinum owner like yourself. Is this car worth upgrading to you think? Would you do it? I am not feeling the interior with those new seats. I think it’s ugly. BUT, I dig the new Platinum wheels.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Oh, and it has no odor improvement over the other leather - I'm thinking of BMW/Audi/M-B/Lexus/Infiniti whose leather definitely improves as the price goes up. .
You got to remember, that Nissan and BMW use that awful leatherette in most models.....I looked at a 48K Q 50 and it had the plastic seats..it was wretched....and for sure a deal breaker.....I mean seriously....You cant use leather??? WTF
Old 12-22-2018, 02:15 PM

Only part of the seat that is leather is the seating areas.. all the rest is vinyl.. its called Premium synthetic seats...lol..
Old 12-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
Only part of the seat that is leather is the seating areas.. all the rest is vinyl.. its called Premium synthetic seats...lol..

That is typical, however, with the leatherette....not part of the seat is leather.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by wild *****
That is typical, however, with the leatherette....not part of the seat is leather.
True... that my friend is called Pleather...lol
Old 12-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
So as a 16 Platinum owner like yourself. Is this car worth upgrading to you think? Would you do it? I am not feeling the interior with those new seats. I think it’s ugly. BUT, I dig the new Platinum wheels.
Great question. Not a simple "yes/no" answer since there are a lot of moving parts.
First, I'm a lease person. I got a great lease deal on the 2016, so the price will definitely go up. Residuals suck on new Maximas, so unless they (1) drop the purchase price (cap cost) (unlikely on a "brand new" mid-cycle refresh), and (2) make the money factor reasonable (again unlikely), the 2019 becomes very expensive. Like Genesis G70 expensive (is my fear).
Second big point - I don't drive a lot (< 7000 miles a year). So more $$$ really hits me hard.
Third, my 2016 has been excellent. As a self-proclaimed (recovering) car snob, the 2016 Maxima Platinum has honestly been terrific. Better than my other cars in the overall quality + reliability + features + nice enough equation.
Finally, the larger wheels look nice, but I'm afraid of damaging them. I've had a ton of close calls with the 2016.
So - I'd like one, but there's nothing to really incentivize me to do it - right now.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:19 AM

Great question. Not a simple "yes/no" answer since there are a lot of moving parts.
First, I'm a lease person. I got a great lease deal on the 2016, so the price will definitely go up. Residuals suck on new Maximas, so unless they (1) drop the purchase price (cap cost) (unlikely on a "brand new" mid-cycle refresh), and (2) make the money factor reasonable (again unlikely), the 2019 becomes very expensive. Like Genesis G70 expensive (is my fear).
Second big point - I don't drive a lot (< 7000 miles a year). So more $$$ really hits me hard.
Third, my 2016 has been excellent. As a self-proclaimed (recovering) car snob, the 2016 Maxima Platinum has honestly been terrific. Better than my other cars in the overall quality + reliability + features + nice enough equation.
Finally, the larger wheels look nice, but I'm afraid of damaging them. I've had a ton of close calls with the 2016.
So - I'd like one, but there's nothing to really incentivize me to do it - right now.
Thank you for this thorough evaluation. I too have a 16 Platinum and flat out love it. Those 19 tail lights though, I’d kill for. I’m gonna figure out how to swap them. I was contemplating baking these apart and installing led pads with integrated resistors, so it’s not a stretch for me to spend a grand and some tinkering on upgrading to the new style.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:05 AM

Back when I grew up, all of the cars almost had it....it was called vinyl. While it looks marginally better these days....in the end, it is still vinyl, it still cracks, it is still harder to repair, it is hotter and stickier in warm weather because it does not breathe like leather. I hated it in the 70s.....I hate it now. But if it is good enough for a 72 Ford Torino....it is good enough for a 2019 50K Infiniti....lol
Old 12-23-2018, 05:48 AM

Guys - I'm not arguing the leather vs. vinyl part - I'm saying that the LEATHER part is hard, shiny, and smooth. The seating surface (notably the extended thigh part and door inserts - which are leather on the Platinum Reserve).
And understand that this is a $1445 option package - on a Nissan.
So there better damn well be more than just a little bit of leather.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:49 AM

I'm referring the leather part - the seating surface (that doesn't have the diamond double-stitch pattern).
Old 12-23-2018, 06:27 AM

I'm referring the leather part - the seating surface (that doesn't have the diamond double-stitch pattern).
Are you talking about Alcantara? This is what's on my SR.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson
Are you talking about Alcantara? This is what's on my SR.
No - the Platinum (Reserve) is all leather - even up the center.
The SR has the Alcantara in the center (like my GT-R). Incidentally the Alcantara (aka synthetic suede) wears very well (except in the idiotic steering wheel usage/applications).
Old 12-23-2018, 08:14 AM

No - the Platinum (Reserve) is all leather - even up the center.
The SR has the Alcantara in the center (like my GT-R). Incidentally the Alcantara (aka synthetic suede) wears very well (except in the idiotic steering wheel usage/applications).
Yeah, I love the Alcantara. Funny you say that about the steering wheel. I am extremely picky about the Alcantara for that very reason. I don't hold my wheel on any of those areas (I don't wrap my fingers around to the back of the wheel where it is). I also would like to recommend a very good Alcantara suede cleaner... Sonax upholstery & leather cleaner. Does a great job without leaving any heavy residual scent behind and is safe for Alcantara.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Guys - I'm not arguing the leather vs. vinyl part - I'm saying that the LEATHER part is hard, shiny, and smooth. The seating surface (notably the extended thigh part and door inserts - which are leather on the Platinum Reserve).
And understand that this is a $1445 option package - on a Nissan.
So there better damn well be more than just a little bit of leather.
I got you, maybe they cut costs and used the same ****ty leather they use in the Altima.......Still better however than Leatherette in a 48k Q 50
Old 12-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson
Yeah, I love the Alcantara. Funny you say that about the steering wheel. I am extremely picky about the Alcantara for that very reason. I don't hold my wheel on any of those areas (I don't wrap my fingers around to the back of the wheel where it is). I also would like to recommend a very good Alcantara suede cleaner... Sonax upholstery & leather cleaner. Does a great job without leaving any heavy residual scent behind and is safe for Alcantara.
Where can I get this?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 AM

I got you, maybe they cut costs and used the same ****ty leather they use in the Altima.......Still better however than Leatherette in a 48k Q 50
The whole point of the Reserve package IS THE semi-aniline leather.
And the gold-tinged trim junk.
Oh yeah and the G35/Q50/whatever wheels.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SRDemi
Where can I get this?
https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-alcantara-cleaner1.html
Old 12-28-2018, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!!