8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Rear Belt Trim - don't break clearing off snow - $$

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 AM

Rear Belt Trim - don't break clearing off snow - $$

We had a good size snow storm this weekend and I was cleaning the snow off my wife's maxima. My snow brush clipped the rear molding trim and ripped it off. You do not want to break this piece! The dealership wants over $230 for it. I've found it online for $140-$160. It probably costs about $10 to make. The clips are part of the unit and all my clips broke when I hit it. There's lip on the bottom of the window, so I can see this happening again if one isn't careful. Attached is a pic.
​​​​​​​

Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 AM

I would liberally apply black silicone adhesive to the underside edges of the piece, then apply strong tape to hold it down until the silicone cures. If you get messy, use vinegar to clean off any residue before it cures. I can't think of an easier or more effective way to do this. Has anyone been successful using this method? I would think so.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I would liberally apply black silicone adhesive to the underside edges of the piece, then apply strong tape to hold it down until the silicone cures. If you get messy, use vinegar to clean off any residue before it cures. I can't think of an easier or more effective way to do this. Has anyone been successful using this method? I would think so.
Great guidance on a fix. This trim piece is also suseptible to car wash spinning rags. I put masking tape on the ends before going thru any wash, then removing afterwards.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Great guidance on a fix. This trim piece is also suseptible to car wash spinning rags. I put masking tape on the ends before going thru any wash, then removing afterwards.
so far so good on the car washes for me. I think the local one is reasonably gentle with the brushes though. If I'm in the road, I try to stick with touch-free washes only
Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 PM

If the car is still under warranty Nissan will replace it with an improved version of it. I’ve had both come off within the first 2 months of ownership, since replacement not a single issue. (Knocking on wood)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:12 AM

@@compyelc4 - thanks for the info on a fix.
@@Mike Dee - really? Mine has about 29K on it so not quite as new. Did you tell them how they broke? Or did yours literally just pop off?

When I called the dealership, I spoke to the parts department, not the service department.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 AM

My dealer replaced it twice under warranty. I also applied some tape over the sharp ends, so it won't catch in the car wash. Poor design, IMHO.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by zup28w
@@compyelc4 - thanks for the info on a fix.
@@Mike Dee - really? Mine has about 29K on it so not quite as new. Did you tell them how they broke? Or did yours literally just pop off?

When I called the dealership, I spoke to the parts department, not the service department.
The first time it happened I told them I could hear it rattle then off it came going down the highway. It was a half-truth. It did rattle but it came off in a car wash. The second time it happened they didn’t even ask, they are apparently dealing with this on such a routine basis they just made e an appointment to swap it out. When I was there the guy was like “yeah, these things are prone to pppong off in car washes, etc..”. That’s when I found out they redesigned it. He told me it shouldn’t cause any more problems which it hasn’t. That was about 12,000 miles ago. I currently have about 14,000 on the car. Now, I probably need to mention I no longer use automatic car washes but mostly due to the fact that I have the Stillen front splitter and rear diffuser. Didn’t want to take chances with those. I only use automatic washes as a last resort.

i would simply call for an appointment at your local dealer for it and have it replaced free of charge.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM

Thanks for details @Mike Dee

Called the local dealership. They told me there would be a charge. I mentioned how it's a common issue and many dealerships do it for free. They suggested I call Nissan. I did, and the lady on the phone was nice, but clueless. She said I needed a diagnosis from the dealership to determine the problem. I asked her what she meant and she said "they normally plug your car into the computer." LOL. Short story - they can't do anything until I have an estimate from the dealership. Will call them tomorrow. And around and and round I go...
Old 01-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by zup28w
Thanks for details @Mike Dee

Called the local dealership. They told me there would be a charge. I mentioned how it's a common issue and many dealerships do it for free. They suggested I call Nissan. I did, and the lady on the phone was nice, but clueless. She said I needed a diagnosis from the dealership to determine the problem. I asked her what she meant and she said "they normally plug your car into the computer." LOL. Short story - they can't do anything until I have an estimate from the dealership. Will call them tomorrow. And around and and round I go...
What a joke! I would take it to another dealership.