8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vibration at highway speeds

2018 Max SV has slight vibration when on the highway, all road surfaces, some worse than others. I feel it in my butt and back. I had all 4 tires balanced, did not change the issue. It is about a 15 Hz vibration, meaning 15 pulses per second, and it's not a heavy vibration. The steering wheel is dead still, no vibration there. Vibration was there on the test drive before purchase, now 2000 miles. Is this normal? Am I feeling the road? It is the transmission? Yes I'm probably going to the dealer with this, but wanted your collective input first. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by proexpert
2018 Max SV has slight vibration when on the highway, all road surfaces, some worse than others. I feel it in my butt and back. I had all 4 tires balanced, did not change the issue. It is about a 15 Hz vibration, meaning 15 pulses per second, and it's not a heavy vibration. The steering wheel is dead still, no vibration there. Vibration was there on the test drive before purchase, now 2000 miles. Is this normal? Am I feeling the road? It is the transmission? Yes I'm probably going to the dealer with this, but wanted your collective input first. Thanks.
When I was shopping Maximas, every one I drove on our lot had vibration issues (All 2018s) They could not give me a reason as to why.....I moved on. Not that this info helps you.....but It was quite annoying. My guess was the CVT.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 AM

cvt
Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
cvt
Whatever the source of the vibration is, it is an isolated occurance. The majority of our cars are very smooth so I doubt it is an inherent issue with the CVT. I have owned 2 8th gen Maximas and also rented 3 other Maximas with no vibrations. The rental cars all had curb scoured wheels to boot.

You have done all the right things so far but I would suggest getting the wheels checked for being slightly bent and have the tires checked for being round. At 1st glance you are thinking "tire being round?" It does happen and can be determined by a "radial tire runout" test. A real tire pro will understand your request. (an out of round tire can actually minutely "hop" as speed increases giving you an issue). Beyond that, a quick evaluation of the 4 CV joints might be in order. Best of luck! Do report back on any findings
Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Select different ratios for the CVT at a consistent speed and see if your frequency meter shows a different Hz or the same. If the same it ain't the CVT
Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 AM

Tire pressure could be too high. Tire shops traditionally put them at closer to max pressure for the tire, not the vehicle rating. By that I mean, tires rated to 44max cold PSI, shop fills them to 38 or 40 PSI cold. Look inside your door trim, there's a sticker there with recommended pressure, probably around 32-33 cold. Check em cold, first thing in the morning before the sun hits one side, unless you're garage kept, then just make sure it's cool from last drive, then check. If too high, lower and give it a test drive.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs up Solved

Thank you for the replies. You guys are great. Thanks to MadMax, I checked the tire pressure cold in the garage, sure enough they were all at 40, door sticker says 33 cold. I lowered them to 33, and most of the vibration is gone. I have a vibration app for the phone, and it's very minimal now, and that is probably the road. I also did what Mason Hatcher suggested, and there is zero change on the vibration meter when changing from 7, to 6, and 5 and back on the highway. I feel much better now, and all thanks to you guys. Next time I'll ask here first.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 PM

Thank you for the replies. You guys are great. Thanks to MadMax, I checked the tire pressure cold in the garage, sure enough they were all at 40, door sticker says 33 cold. I lowered them to 33, and most of the vibration is gone. I have a vibration app for the phone, and it's very minimal now, and that is probably the road. I also did what Mason Hatcher suggested, and there is zero change on the vibration meter when changing from 7, to 6, and 5 and back on the highway. I feel much better now, and all thanks to you guys. Next time I'll ask here first.
Glad this turned out well for you.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 AM

One more thing now that you have issue fixed. Be sure to rotate your tire religiously every 5000 miles. Don't wait otherwise your tires will begin to make a "chonga-chonga" noise at lower speeds
Old 03-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Yeah, I just don't understand why the shops overinflate. Because invariably they will get people coming back regularly to get the balance and alignment checked. I used to run higher PSI just for the sake of a little better MPG and tire life. I found there's really zero difference from 33 cold to 40 cold. But the stiffer the tire, the more noticeable the road. And at high speed that road feel turns into vibration. Good to hear you got the easy resolution.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
One more thing now that you have issue fixed. Be sure to rotate your tire religiously every 5000 miles. Don't wait otherwise your tires will begin to make a "chonga-chonga" noise at lower speeds
Wise advice robt, especially if there is still a bit of vibration going on back there. I still believe he has an out of bal. condition however.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Yeah, I just don't understand why the shops overinflate. Because invariably they will get people coming back regularly to get the balance and alignment checked. I used to run higher PSI just for the sake of a little better MPG and tire life. I found there's really zero difference from 33 cold to 40 cold. But the stiffer the tire, the more noticeable the road. And at high speed that road feel turns into vibration. Good to hear you got the easy resolution.
I'm going through the same annoying issue with tire inflation too. Perhaps its just having too much information as this is my first car with TPMS display. After a servicing the tire air pressures were, both, high (35 - 39 psi) and different in each tire. I took it back to the shop and they re-checked but stated that all tires read 33 psi. During the initial service the tech said he inflated all to 35. Was puzzled why the second tech shows different values and why the display was showing quite differently from what either of them said. But then I saw their pressure gauge, just the pop-up on the air filler nozzle... it did not inspire (in me, at least) any confidence that they actually know what the inflation pressure was... other than a ballpark number.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by BrianShaw
I'm going through the same annoying issue with tire inflation too. Perhaps its just having too much information as this is my first car with TPMS display. After a servicing the tire air pressures were, both, high (35 - 39 psi) and different in each tire. I took it back to the shop and they re-checked but stated that all tires read 33 psi. During the initial service the tech said he inflated all to 35. Was puzzled why the second tech shows different values and why the display was showing quite differently from what either of them said. But then I saw their pressure gauge, just the pop-up on the air filler nozzle... it did not inspire (in me, at least) any confidence that they actually know what the inflation pressure was... other than a ballpark number.
So now let me eat my words...

I just checked the tire inflations with a "reliable" pressure gauge. Indeed, they are all at 55 psi cold. The TPMS appears to be reading differently than my "reliable " gauge, and the "reliable" gauge at the shop. Hmmm. TMI, perhaps, that is making me nutz.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Let this be a lesson to all. Nissan deliver's cars to there dealers with the tire pressure
well over the recommended pressure. Dealers know this and prior to the car being
delivered the dealers shop are to set the correct pressure. Every Nissan I have leased in
the past has been delivered to me over the recommended pressure. I have a 2018 Platinum
with the same over recommended pressure. Once i set it down to correct numbers the car is fine.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
Let this be a lesson to all. Nissan deliver's cars to there dealers with the tire pressure
well over the recommended pressure. Dealers know this and prior to the car being
delivered the dealers shop are to set the correct pressure. Every Nissan I have leased in
the past has been delivered to me over the recommended pressure. I have a 2018 Platinum
with the same over recommended pressure. Once i set it down to correct numbers the car is fine.
Hi Randy... how far over have you observed from the factory?

In the past I've noticed my tire shop doing the same after replacing tires. He seems to overinflate to set the bead but then doesn't back it down to the car's spec. He always left them hard and said that was for better handling and gas mileage. I'm not too sure I agree and always corrected the pressure to reduce road noise, etc.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 AM

each tire showed 45 psi

Randy
Old 03-21-2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Randy
each tire showed 45 psi

Randy
Holy crap, that is rock hard! Way too much, esp. if the tires were cold.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:17 PM

IT stopped for me when i replaced my oem 19" wheels and goodyear tires for my 20" wheels
Old 10-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vibration

so I'm having the same problem with my Nissan Maxima did you find anything out from the dealer?
Old 10-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ltwing
so I'm having the same problem with my Nissan Maxima did you find anything out from the dealer?
Tire pressure was very high, see post #7.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I seem to have the same problem with a 2019 Maxima SV (mileage 43K). That is, when I am on the interstate, I get vibration at higher speeds (+70MPH). It's definitely there, and doesn't feel like tires to me. I just put four new Michelin's on it in the last month, had them balanced at BJ's (and then rebalanced with an alignment at NTB $180). I'm going to take the PSI down to the lower ranges, but my feel is that it is coming from underneath me (like drivetrain / powertrain). I have a Nissan dealership near me. What should I ask them to do? What tests should be run?
Old 12-07-2022, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ltwing
Rear tire balance for sure, based on what you've said, regardless of whether you just had them balanced. Have them give it another go. Prior to this you could ask them to rotate the rear wheels/tires 180 degrees and bolt them back up. This sometimes helps. Make sure dealer is using a Hunter 9700 Road Force, which also measures run-out. Ask to look at the printed results.