8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

corrosion on battery terminal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM

corrosion on battery terminal

Has anyone had this on there max? Currently I have 20,300 miles and as you can see it's only on the positive.

I plan on cleaning it myself because I don't trust the dealer to clean the terminal fully as well as not make a mess all over the engine bay..

or does anyone think I should leave it and just bring to dealer? To me this seems like a lot considering the age and miles of the car, so maybe there's something wrong with the car?
Old 04-30-2019, 09:40 AM

I'm going to bet its a leaking battery. Think it's the hydrogen coming out and in proximity with the electrical field at the terminal that caused all that buildup. If the batter is perfectly sealed, that doesn't happen. You need a new battery. May still be covered by your full coverage 3 year 36. Normally after 2 years 24 months battery is prorated, but I think you're under that, should be able to get it replaced with a new terminal for free.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:42 AM

That said, this isn't a sealed battery, I just realized it's a serviceable battery. Try popping off those covers, clean up all around it real good. Think it's distilled water you can add to the cells to top them off. I wonder if that cap is just leaking right there...
Old 04-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
That said, this isn't a sealed battery, I just realized it's a serviceable battery. Try popping off those covers, clean up all around it real good. Think it's distilled water you can add to the cells to top them off. I wonder if that cap is just leaking right there...
Thanks, I will look into that on a warmer sunny day.

I was reading that if it's on the positive, then that probably means the car is overcharging? I am planning on adding my sub to the car this summer, that's what made me look at this.

Heres a closer picture
Old 04-30-2019, 10:31 AM

I had the same issue on my 2016 Platinum at about 3 years and 32000 miles. Battery failed shortly after the terminals were cleaned so the question is, When do you want to change the battery..at your convenience or stuck someehre on the road. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing happened with my 2016 SR model. Never made a big deal of it. Dealer would see it during their servicing and never took care of it while under warranty. Sold at 46000 miles and battery seemed healthy despite corrosion on terminals.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I had the same issue on my 2016 Platinum at about 3 years and 32000 miles. Battery failed shortly after the terminals were cleaned so the question is, When do you want to change the battery..at your convenience or stuck someehre on the road. Good luck.
Well with that said I'm gonna bring it to the dealer, there in no way should I be paying money for a new battery when it's still in warranty. Will the dealer install a new battery? Most likely not, but they'll hopefully do a good job cleaning and I will have a written record of the issue.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlackNYMax
Well with that said I'm gonna bring it to the dealer, there in no way should I be paying money for a new battery when it's still in warranty. Will the dealer install a new battery? Most likely not, but they'll hopefully do a good job cleaning and I will have a written record of the issue.
My guess is if the dealer finds the battery to be in good condition, and they probably will, they will just clean up the contacts inside and out and apply some red anti-battery corrosion grease. That will stop the corrosion you see. My dealer applied that to my 17SL at my first check-up and it is one of the first batteries I've had that has not corroded. In days of yore you could buy little red felt donuts soaked in the stuff and you merely place one over the terminal on the positive battery post. Prevented corrosion in the same way.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:07 AM

It's warranty work. They get paid more for swapping the battery then cleaning the terminal. If you have a good service advisor he'll look out for you.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:46 PM

I had corrosion like this, until my battery finally died and I had it replaced

funny thing was, I did not realize my battery was going bad and I was having random issues with my push-2-unlock button not working. I replaced the fob batteries, bit still kept having problems. Finally, the main battery died and I had it replaced. Lo and behold, I have not had a single issue unlocking the car since (going on 6 months now)
Old 05-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Have you popped the tops off to see if the battery is low? If its low, who's to blame? You or the Dealer?
Old 05-10-2019, 02:33 PM

The best way to prevent corrosion from the venting of gases from these types of batteries is to coat the terminals with.... Vaseline ...(when they are clean and new - too late once they get corrosion on them obviously). Dab a generous amount all over each battery terminal when cold. During driving, the engine compartment's heat will soften the jelly and it will soak into every nook and cranny of the battery terminal clamp and form a thick coating protecting the terminals from exposure to corrosive acids/gases from the battery's venting.

It's an old mechanic's trick - but works perfectly. All of my vehicles get a generous coating once they get home from the dealership, and I've never had any issues with battery terminals for the life of the battery until I had to replace it due to old age, then I repeated the process again with the new replacement.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 AM

As preventive maintenance every year, I use a 10mm wrench and remove the battery cable, using a battery terminal cleaner and a wire brush to clean the positive and negative terminals. @BlackNYMax...you have very minor corrosion, clean it and you will be fine. Not worth worrying about.

I use an old rag to clean the top of the battery, then throw the rag away.

If you don't take too long to clean the terminals while the battery is unhooked, you will not lose any radio settings.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
As preventive maintenance every year, I use a 10mm wrench and remove the battery cable, using a battery terminal cleaner and a wire brush to clean the positive and negative terminals. @BlackNYMax...you have very minor corrosion, clean it and you will be fine. Not worth worrying about.

I use an old rag to clean the top of the battery, then throw the rag away.

If you don't take too long to clean the terminals while the battery is unhooked, you will not lose any radio settings.
Those battery terminal goo, when slathered nicely, usually slows down corrosion build-up.
But attracts dirt...
Old 05-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Quick easy fix
Get Battery terminal brush
Get Baking soda..

Will never corrode again!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:38 AM

Battery terminals on the battery in wife's 2011 Murano. 115,000 miles and on second battery, over 50,000 on this one. I use the red battery terminal spray and have never had a problem with corrosion.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:02 PM

I had this on my '17 SR just recently, roughly 52K on the clock. Had them clean it, but sounds like I need to check it again. Starts have not been as crisp as usual lately so this battery might be toast already.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Battery terminals on the battery in wife's 2011 Murano. 115,000 miles and on second battery, over 50,000 on this one. I use the red battery terminal spray and have never had a problem with corrosion.

My dealer applied some red stuff just like this. At 22,000 miles, mine looks as clean as this. It helps keep wayward lead and copper sulfate ions from trying to migrate from the positive battery terminal to anywhere with less of a positive charge.