8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SR -or- 2015 Infiniti Q50S AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:54 AM

2016 Maxima SR -or- 2015 Infiniti Q50S AWD

Does anyone have experience with both cars to be able to give a comparison regarding performance? Has anyone owned a Q50 that traded it for an 8th gen Max? Or, visa-versa? I currently have a 2016 SR, and I am toying with the notion of looking into a 2015 Q50S AWD. I haven’t test driven one yet, but there is for sale somewhat close to me.

My question is this: Is there a huge performance advantage (speed, braking, handling) going from the SR to the Q50S AWD? I know the Q50 is a little smaller, which isn’t a problem. During weekly daily driving, I mostly baby my Max to work and back—simply cruising the back roads and/or highways while listening to music. However, there are those times when I hit the Sport Mode button, turn off the traction control, switch to the sport display and engage in paddle-shifting, to experience some spirited “sports car” or, at the very least, sports sedan driving. I feel the Max comes alive at these times. This generation Max seems to have a Jekyll/Hyde personality the more I think about it—and as I write this.

The biggest comparison to be made here (in my humble opinion) is the Max’s CVT vs. Q50’s conventional automatic. If there are other big comparisons, please let me know. Prior to getting my 16 Max, I had a 2002 Max SE and it moved very well in its own right. I generally own my cars for a long time. My 2002 Max had 204,000 miles on it when I traded it for the 2016 SR. I sometimes miss the conventional auto’s shifting through the gears. However, I can say that as far as CVT’s are concerned, the X-tronic CVT used in the 8th gen Max is probably the best one out there right now from any manufacturer. And, there are those time where the CVT “acts” like a conventional tranny in its “shifting.” So much so, that sometimes I visualize the gear changes in my head as I’m flying down the road.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can comment as I traded in a 2015 Q50 for a 2017 Maxima SR. I didn't exactly buy either one to be a fun car because I already have one of those. The Q50 I had was just a base model with nothing fancy about it. Honestly I miss my Q50 most of the time because my Maxima has been nothing but a pain since I bought it, but that feeling is slowly fading. The dealership I bought it from has corrected most of the issues that it should never have left the lot with.

From a performance perspective the Q50 will always smoke the Maxima in the red light races. Nothing can quite compare the seat planting you feel in an AWD vs FWD vehicle with 300+ hp. If you were to race both from a 40-50 roll, I'd say they are about the same with the Q50 still being slightly faster. I also feel that the 3.7l in the Q50 has more a a refined growl to it where as the 3.5 in the Maxima sounds "muddier" I suppose? I can't really think of a word to describe it. I just thought the 3.7 engine note sounded more pleasing. I personally prefer a traditional transmission over a CVT, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

In regards to braking and handling I felt like the Q50 was able to brake better, and this is probably due to it being a smaller more compact car than the Maxima. The Maxima SR package wins hands down in handling; I can take tight turns at 50+ and feel very little body roll. With this you really sacrifice ride comfort though. I feel everything in my Maxima SR. That's not to say I didn't feel some things in the Q50, but being a luxury vehicle it handled the bumps better.

The final thing to note is gas mileage if it matters to you. The best I was ever able to manage on my 30 mile commute to work (90% highway) was the rated 27 mpg and this was on premium gas otherwise I averaged around 25 mpg highway. That same commute with the Maxima I'm able to achieve 32-33 mpg also on premium gas.

So why did I get rid of my Q50? I absolutely hated the seats. I didn't notice it in the test drive, but after having to sit in the seat for 40 minutes each way in my commute I couldn't stand them. I am by no means a big man, but something about that seat caused my left leg to burn and ache. I also felt a little crammed into the car as well being 6' 3". After owning the Maxima for a couple months now I can say the seat is perfect for me. I feel like I have a ton more room in the car, and it has way more features than my base model Q50 did. The gas mileage is great for a V6 as well. At the end of the day it was a trade off. Yes, I do miss my Q50, but I was not willing to sacrifice my comfort for what I liked about it.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 AM

Q50^^^ Seats are horrible.....absolutely horrible...even look like poopoo. Not to mention....they are freaking plastic!!! Unless you get the sport
Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 AM

It depends of what matter to you..

Infiniti = Built in Japan and rear wheel drive

NIssan Max = Builit in Tennessee and cvt.

Both are great cars, Infiniti Q is a bit smaller than the Max.. but at least it does not look the the Altima... The 8th Gen Max looks like a Altima...

So Between those two cars.. Why not Get a new 19 Sr Altima with a 3.5.. Same car as the Max and 10 grand less.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
So Between those two cars.. Why not Get a new 19 Sr Altima with a 3.5.. Same car as the Max and 10 grand less.

Because it does not exist. Eliminated......replaced with the 2.0l turbo. They removed the ONLY reason to buy the Altima....VQ
Old 05-27-2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
Because it does not exist. Eliminated......replaced with the 2.0l turbo. They removed the ONLY reason to buy the Altima....VQ
Just finished a 7000 mile road trip and saw many new Altimas in the wild. Lots to like with the subtle redesign but the V6 is gone and they cheaped out on the tail lights, no LEDs. Lots of Altimas as rentals

Last edited by robtroxel; 05-27-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Just finished a 7000 mile road trip and same many new Altimas in the wild. Lots to like with the subtle redesign but the V6 is gone and they cheaped out on the tail lights, no LEDs. Lots of Altimas as rentals
I have not seen or been able to locate a 2.0 Turbo anywhere......Nothing but 2.5s
Old 05-27-2019, 03:32 PM

OP- if raw performance is your only goal, you'll probably be happier with that. But, the q50 is looking a bit dated these days and I think the Max has more features and refinement. At least until the next Infiniti redesign comes along.

Altima is not even even close.... even if they did make it look more like the Max with this last update
Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM

What?

Originally Posted by wild *****
I owned a 2015 3.5 SL ALTIMA and currently driving a 2017 Maxima SL, These cars are night and day. Can't compare ride,build,transmission etc,etc quality.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bones787718
I owned a 2015 3.5 SL ALTIMA and currently driving a 2017 Maxima SL, These cars are night and day. Can't compare ride,build,transmission etc,etc quality.
I agree. ...however, Both Transmissions suck.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:56 PM

The Maxima is essentially a last gen Altima with a VQ, wider tires, a nicer cabin finish, and more available features.

BTW why only look at Nissan products?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by slava
The Maxima is essentially a last gen Altima with a VQ, wider tires, a nicer cabin finish, and more available features.

BTW why only look at Nissan products?
The heritage is evident from one Nissan model to another. I traded a 2016 Max plat for a 2019 Max Plat and want to say its all about the interiors, trim and over all look. The Maxima continues to refine a solid design. The Q series sedan is so long in the tooth it is out of the running. ! You can see why Toyota and Kia did alot of copying to achieve a similar look. Forget the sticker prices on the Max! The real net sales prices are compelling reasons to get this vehicle as it is equiped like luxury cars selling for much more.

As for the CVTs, I'll take the turbine smooth power application along with stellar MPGs! Boy racers, this is not the car for you. Best to buy a Kia Stinker.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Just finished a 7000 mile road trip and saw many new Altimas in the wild. Lots to like with the subtle redesign but the V6 is gone and they cheaped out on the tail lights, no LEDs. Lots of Altimas as rentals
I was one of those rentals (Altima) over the weekend. Was very comfortable, and averaged about 43 mpg per the onboard monitor. Even if it is a little optimistic, thatt's pretty good!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
I was one of those rentals (Altima) over the weekend. Was very comfortable, and averaged about 43 mpg per the onboard monitor. Even if it is a little optimistic, thatt's pretty good!
That is pretty good...I do not like Nissans 2.5 L engine at all.