8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Intelligent Cruise Control Works In Stop And Go Traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 03:07 PM
JMC
Newbie - Just Registered

Intelligent Cruise Control Works In Stop And Go Traffic?

Hello everyone, I am new here. I am thinking a getting a new Maxima. I owned one several years ago and loved it. I am having a hard time getting a firm answer on this. I have looked but maybe my searching skills are not the best. Does the Maxima with intelligent cruise control work in stop and go traffic? If it stops do the brakes auto hold and after like 3 seconds can you tap the gas or hit resume to continue with intelligent cruise control? That's generally how most adaptive cruise control systems work. One would think if the Altima got pro pilot assist their flagship sedan should at least have a fully functional adaptive cruise control but you never know what Nissan is thinking?

I did see some other forum posts on this issue but they are from 2016.

Last edited by JMC; 07-05-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:23 PM

JMC, I have an '18 Platinum and this is from my Owners Manual (page 5-45): "When there is a vehicle traveling ahead, the ICC system adjusts the speed to maintain the distance, selected by the driver, from the vehicle ahead. If the vehicle ahead comes to a stop, the vehicle decelerates to a standstill within the limitations of the system. The system will cancel once it judges a standstill with a warning chime." From page 5-50: "To resume the preset speed, push and release the RES+ switch. The vehicle will resume the last set cruising speed when the vehicle speed is over 20 mph." There's also this (from 5-52): "The ICC system is primarily intended for use on straight, dry, open roads with light traffic. It is not advisable to use the ICC system in city traffic or congested areas."

So net, the car stops automatically, but to reengage ICC you need to do so manually. I've never used in stop-and-go traffic. Even it worked the way you'd like, don't think I'd use in that situation.

Last edited by sschumer; 07-05-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
JMC, I have an '18 Platinum and this is from my Owners Manual (page 5-45): "When there is a vehicle traveling ahead, the ICC system adjusts the speed to maintain the distance, selected by the driver, from the vehicle ahead. If the vehicle ahead comes to a stop, the vehicle decelerates to a standstill within the limitations of the system. The system will cancel once it judges a standstill with a warning chime." From page 5-50: "To resume the preset speed, push and release the RES+ switch. The vehicle will resume the last set cruising speed when the vehicle speed is over 20 mph." There's also this (from 5-52): "The ICC system is primarily intended for use on straight, dry, open roads with light traffic. It is not advisable to use the ICC system in city traffic or congested areas."

So net, the car stops automatically, but to reengage ICC you need to do so manually. I've never used in stop-and-go traffic. Even it worked the way you'd like, don't think I'd use in that situation.
Wait...are you saying that one can learn how to operate the features of their car by taking the time to read about how things work by opening the Owners Manual and reading it?

What a novel idea!
Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
Wait...are you saying that one can learn how to operate the features of their car by taking the time to read about how things work by opening the Owners Manual and reading it?

What a novel idea!
And he strikes again!
Old 07-05-2019, 07:53 PM
JMC
Newbie - Just Registered

What a novel idea!
Thank you sschumer. I appreciate you providing your account of practical experience. I was looking for that as opposed to reading an excerpt from a manual written by corporate lawyers for a car I don't currently own. The response above is why I will never post or read this message board again.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by JMC
Thank you sschumer. I appreciate you providing your account of practical experience. I was looking for that as opposed to reading an excerpt from a manual written by corporate lawyers for a car I don't currently own. The response above is why I will never post or read this message board again.
Sorry that your feeling were hurt by my general comment. Are you aware that you can use your Google skills and find Owners Manuals for vehicles you might be interested in online? Like this one: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...ner-manual.pdf

I have to ask, why wouldn't you feel comfortable reading an excerpt from a manual written by corporate lawyers?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:52 AM

JMC, I hope you'll reconsider. I have been on this board since I got my first Maxima in 2005, and I'm confident you'll find it to your liking. More importantly, I just got an '18 Maxima Platinum about 6 months ago after researching many, many cars for over 2 years. I have to tell you I absolutely love it. Happy to share all the reasons why, offer you whatever honest input I can to help you make the decision that's best for you.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 AM
JMC
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry that your feeling were hurt by my general comment. Are you aware that you can use your Google skills and find Owners Manuals for vehicles you might be interested in online? Like this one: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...ner-manual.pdf

I have to ask, why wouldn't you feel comfortable reading an excerpt from a manual written by corporate lawyers?
Are you joking? Maybe you are being sarcastic. If you not, it's because I am a lawyer and I know them too well. You don't actually have to look up the manual online. The Nissan website says under the description of intelligent cruise control that it's not recommended to use it in stop and go traffic. I know they are being conservative and worried about lawsuits. I was looking for someone with some real world experience. I am sure the manual says something like Nissan always recommends the use of using turn signals when changing lanes but we all know that doesn't happen in the real world.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 AM
JMC
Newbie - Just Registered

On a side note, I want to say that I do appreciate that you didn't mean to hurt feelings. We simply disagree on whether to accept Nissan's official statement on the matter. I posted here knowing Nissan's stance on it but I still wanted to get some accounts of people who have a newer model Maxima and possibly tired it. I was considering getting one and don't know anyone who has one to ask. I didn't go to the dealer because I thought they would just repeat the company line. Now I know it's correct based on posts here but I wouldn't really know. Take it from my perspective. I am new here, I ask a question, and I am then met with a perceived snark post basically saying "check the manual.". From the post that says "he strikes again" you have probably been here a while and it's a pet peeve of yours where people ask questions without checking the manual first. I can get how that may be frustrating. Here I did know Nissan's corporate position on it. We can just agree to disagree.

I know I said I wouldn't post here again. However, sshumer does make a lot of sense.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:51 PM

JMC - yes, please stick around. You will find a lot of useful info here and I suspect you will be able to contribute some yourself after purchasing your Maxima. It’s actually a very friendly group of Maxima owners... Welcome!
Old 07-06-2019, 03:25 PM
JMC
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max2013
JMC - yes, please stick around. You will find a lot of useful info here and I suspect you will be able to contribute some yourself after purchasing your Maxima. It’s actually a very friendly group of Maxima owners... Welcome!
Thank you. I appreciate that you posted. I will stick around.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:28 AM

The ICC may be different on the 2019s. I notice that my 2019 Platinum has the option to engage the cruise control without the ICC option. That is a good thing especially in open road traveling. That option was not available on my 2016 Platinum. Near as I can tell the ICC on the 19 works the same allowing for pacing space between the cars in front of you. If there are any abrubt stops, it also works to brake. Sadly though, the open space in front of you never stays open as the "weaving cowboys" swoop in and out which make the ICC constantly apply braking. It will resume the selected speed once the intruding car is gone. Given the bumper to bumper drives I see on the expressways, I find it easier to turn the ICC completely off.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 PM

I think I've tried twice and gotten it to work once in stop and go. Speeds got up to like 20 and then I set ICC and then the car in front of me stopped as well as my car. Then the car in front of me started off in like a second and ICC never disengaged and kept working until traffic lightened up soon after. So you may be able to get it to work but I wouldn't recommend it. They'll probably add the Propilot Assist in the next Maxima
Old 07-13-2019, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
I think I've tried twice and gotten it to work once in stop and go. Speeds got up to like 20 and then I set ICC and then the car in front of me stopped as well as my car. Then the car in front of me started off in like a second and ICC never disengaged and kept working until traffic lightened up soon after. So you may be able to get it to work but I wouldn't recommend it. They'll probably add the Propilot Assist in the next Maxima
You bring up a great point. When I traded my 2016 Platinum for a 2019 Platinum, I did not realize Pro Pilot assist was not on the car! Yes it is on the SUVs and the Altima! Some confusion on the brochure wording. Not a deal breaker but really disappointing their top of the line Platinum was left without it.