8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

16 Maxima SR race build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

16 Maxima SR race build

As the title suggests, I want to get my Maxima into race ready conditions. I want to start with intake and exhaust then go ham on the suspension start off with a rear sway bar but I can't really find any other info or builds to get any other ideas. Does anybody have some suggestions on mods or a place to look?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Casebolt
As the title suggests, I want to get my Maxima into race ready conditions. I want to start with intake and exhaust then go ham on the suspension start off with a rear sway bar but I can't really find any other info or builds to get any other ideas. Does anybody have some suggestions on mods or a place to look?
there really is not any mods for the maxima as far as exhaust intake spring sway bars etc.. they didnt make the maxima for like mods as far as motor wise, the CVT would not be able to handle a turbo nor super charging it etc. only thing you will get out of the maxima are full cat back exhaust springs sway bars intake etc.

Last edited by Mr.Santos; 03-31-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

As stated above, the cvt is the weak point and wont take much more in terms of Horse Power, however, if you want to spend the time and money of converting to a traditional auto or manual trans then you can get a TON of engine mods for bigger power. Personally i have a set of coilovers from yellow speed racing (haven't had a chance to get them on the car yet) and stillen has some aftermarket parts for the max as well to look at
Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 AM

Unfortunately this is the wrong car for that unless you're swapping the transmission. I get it though I wanted to do a mild tune to my 17' SR after I paid the car off. Later I found out the limitations of the CVT. Really disappointing to guys like us who want to do a mild tune for a little extra power or even a build. The CVT really kills this car. Its a nice car for daily driving though and nothing else. Make sure to get a proper exhaust because you don't want that horrible CVT drone.

Last edited by ENGINE2MAXIMA; 03-31-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I plan on getting rid of the CTV in the long run. I found intakes at stillen and k&n but I'm mainly looking to stiffen up my suspension in the rear. Unfortunately with this virus I haven't had the chance to take it to a track to see what needs adjustment
Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM

I plan on getting rid of the CTV in the long run. I found intakes at stillen and k&n but I'm mainly looking to stiffen up my suspension in the rear. Unfortunately with this virus I haven't had the chance to take it to a track to see what needs adjustment
I like your enthusiasm to mod this car for more zip. Trouble is the CVT and the brakes are not race car caliber. The good news is that you probably got this car for a well depreciated amount which would give you some room to try some mods. You have me wondering how you would swap out the CVT and for what tranny? Manual or automatic? All kinds of engine/trans computer issues to deal with?. As pointed out earlier if you get the wrong exhaust system, the car will sound like a mooing cow on acceleration and drone at cruise. With all that said, I hope you will keep us posted on what you end up doing. Good luck
Old 04-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I like your enthusiasm to mod this car for more zip. Trouble is the CVT and the brakes are not race car caliber. The good news is that you probably got this car for a well depreciated amount which would give you some room to try some mods. You have me wondering how you would swap out the CVT and for what tranny? Manual or automatic? All kinds of engine/trans computer issues to deal with?. As pointed out earlier if you get the wrong exhaust system, the car will sound like a mooing cow on acceleration and drone at cruise. With all that said, I hope you will keep us posted on what you end up doing. Good luck
I was thinking a stillen exhaust with k&n intake. The stock brakes and rotors will have to go sooner than later I was thinking willwood for a base idea. As for the trans I'd prefer a 5 speed manual, haven't thought too far ahead on the idea but I'll end up tossing in a turbo or try a twin charged system. Either way this car is getting a turbo after changing battery location. Most definitely it will throw codes upon first start up but after tuning it and deleting unnecessary features and wiring it'll be good as gold...in theory
Old 04-07-2020, 04:15 PM

Heres some information on swapping the transmission. Its a 7 gen swap but essentially the same car. It starts at 9,400$

http://www.nisformance.com/category-s/139.htm
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 AM

Actually getting your 16 Maxima SR race ready is easier than you think, and all parts are available from your local Nissan dealer. Just go to the dealer and request the parts shown below.

Last edited by 2young2retire; 04-08-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Actually getting your 16 Maxima SR race ready is easier than you think, and all parts are available from your local Nissan dealer. Just go to the dealer and request the parts shown below.

Labor?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Labor?
Old 04-09-2020, 05:47 AM

How do you plan on "getting rid of the CTV in the long run"? Are you under the assumption that all you have to do is change a few parts and bolt up a transmission of your choice?

Take the time to read the never ending saga this guy with an automatic V-6 Honda Accord, who for what ever reason wanted to install a 6 speed manual transmission into that car.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/...t-swap.526649/