8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Car break randomly

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car break randomly

Hey guys!!!

I found this forum looking online for this weird issue im having.

A few weeks ago i was merging to the high @5000rpm aprox and 100-120km/h the car suddenly stopped accelerating. (felt like traction control was beinga activated but no signs in the dashboard or anything).

After that on the same day i tried accelerating again and the same thing happened 3 times. At the moment i was low on gas so i thought... no biggie i just put gas and try again.

Did that and the problem went away for 3 weeks. Now im at 1/4 Tank and yesterday I was merging and it happened again.

The car has 75k km.

Any ideas? I was able to capture it on video at higher speeds though but it also happens at highway speeds.

I dont usually stress the car other than having a little fun merging so i dont know what can be wrong.

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here is the video I was talking about. You can see how the engine makes a different noise and then all the car shakes like its breaking/deaccelerating abruptly:

I am not breaking or doing anything else than accelerating. Of course that after the car breaks automatically I remove the foot from the pedal.

************** Have in mind that that's just a testing and that also happened on regular highway speeds. ************
************** The warning symbol is for low wiper fluid. *********************

Car has been maintened properly and love it. But this is scaring me specially because I dont know how it can escalate or if it can happen while crossing a street and leave me without acceleration in the middle of the road etc.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I guess it was just low fuel. I let it go lower today and then filled the tank. Didnt happened again.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tarlitos
I guess it was just low fuel. I let it go lower today and then filled the tank. Didn't happened again.
I appreciated the video of this issue. My other suggestion is to replace the fuel filter though I am not sure where it is located. Could be debris in the fuel tank too.
I never let my tanks get below 1/2 mainly to protect against running out but also to guard against the fuel pick-up pulling anything residual at the bottom of the tank into the injectors.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tarlitos
Hey guys!!!

I found this forum looking online for this weird issue im having.

A few weeks ago i was merging to the high @5000rpm aprox and 100-120km/h the car suddenly stopped accelerating. (felt like traction control was beinga activated but no signs in the dashboard or anything).

After that on the same day i tried accelerating again and the same thing happened 3 times. At the moment i was low on gas so i thought... no biggie i just put gas and try again.

Did that and the problem went away for 3 weeks. Now im at 1/4 Tank and yesterday I was merging and it happened again.

The car has 75k km.

Any ideas? I was able to capture it on video at higher speeds though but it also happens at highway speeds.

I dont usually stress the car other than having a little fun merging so i dont know what can be wrong.

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks!
maybe bad fuel pump? I think the pump runs hotter when the tank has less fuel
Old 07-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank guys for the replys. I was afraid it might be the transmission but i dont think so.