8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Acceleration not sounding as smooth

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 03:02 PM

Acceleration not sounding as smooth

Hello,

Original owner of a 2016 maxima with 51k miles. I have had all routine maintenance done and no issues found over the years. The one thing I do notice though is that when I’m at idle and sometimes when I give it a little bit of acceleration or drive at low speeds, the engine doesn’t sound as smooth. It’s hard to describe but there’s a little bit of a roughness to the sound compared to how it was in the earlier years of ownership.

I don’t always notice this and I haven’t been able to track down if it’s something related to the tempersture or something else (I’m in Texas fwiw).

I’ve noticed this for a couple years now and when I brought it up at the dealership they never found any problems. Is this just the natural course of the engine’s aging? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I haven't noticed it with my low mileage 2016 SV. It might be worth a shot to use some Top Tier premium fuel for a while and put in a bottle of Techron now and again if you're not already doing so.
Old 04-09-2023, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Polarisdb
I haven't noticed it with my low mileage 2016 SV. It might be worth a shot to use some Top Tier premium fuel for a while and put in a bottle of Techron now and again if you're not already doing so.
Hmm interesting. I only use premium gas so I don’t think that would be it. I never put in Techron though. Maybe that’ll help. I’ll mention the issue again at the dealership when I get my next service.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by cstrasz
Hello,

Original owner of a 2016 maxima with 51k miles. I have had all routine maintenance done and no issues found over the years. The one thing I do notice though is that when I’m at idle and sometimes when I give it a little bit of acceleration or drive at low speeds, the engine doesn’t sound as smooth. It’s hard to describe but there’s a little bit of a roughness to the sound compared to how it was in the earlier years of ownership.

I don’t always notice this and I haven’t been able to track down if it’s something related to the tempersture or something else (I’m in Texas fwiw).

I’ve noticed this for a couple years now and when I brought it up at the dealership they never found any problems. Is this just the natural course of the engine’s aging? Thanks.
You use the word "engine" a couple of times, but are you sure it's not coming from another system on the car? Sometimes the shielding around the exhaust system, as it leaves the engine, can set up some crazy harmonics (buzzing) making it sound like the actual engine is on the fritz.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
You use the word "engine" a couple of times, but are you sure it's not coming from another system on the car? Sometimes the shielding around the exhaust system, as it leaves the engine, can set up some crazy harmonics (buzzing) making it sound like the actual engine is on the fritz.
It can definitely be something other than the engine. I just associated with that given the general area I hear it coming from the affect of the throttle on the sound - but yeah acoustics from an adjacent system could be it.