Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Alignment/Camber Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alignment/Camber Adjustment Question

I was just curious to what you guys with a good drop with coilovers have your camber set to. I was wondering if it would be okay to have it in the +1.0-1.5 range. That way it gives me a little more clearance with the 235's that i have and a bit of a handling improvement.

This was before my last alignment. I got lazy and didn't get an alignment after installing ksports (the tires were getting towards the end anyways)

Just don't want my new set of tires to end up like this if i opt to have the camber adjusted a degree or so. I've been told that that was more caused by toe misalignment rather than camber.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:07 AM
absoundlab

wow that doesnt really look like camber caused that because the patch of tire that is missing is so small. But the smallest negative cambe will cause tire wear. Dont the k sports have the upper camber plates? If so just get them adjusted and you'll be set.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by absoundlab
wow that doesnt really look like camber caused that because the patch of tire that is missing is so small. But the smallest negative cambe will cause tire wear. Dont the k sports have the upper camber plates? If so just get them adjusted and you'll be set.
Yes they do have camber plates but i have no way in telling how much camber it is other than to eyeball it..
Old 12-07-2006, 09:00 AM
STFU n00b!

-1 to -1.5 will be okay for the street. I'd lean more toward -1 though. less inner tire wear.

but that job on your tires is from toe- expecially if you dropped the car several inches and didn't get an alignment. the farther you drop the car, the more the toe is goign to go out of spec. you're also goign to have issues with bumpsteer if you're dropping it that far.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
-1 to -1.5 will be okay for the street. I'd lean more toward -1 though. less inner tire wear.

but that job on your tires is from toe- expecially if you dropped the car several inches and didn't get an alignment. the farther you drop the car, the more the toe is goign to go out of spec. you're also goign to have issues with bumpsteer if you're dropping it that far.

Thanks Matt, i think the spec sheet on my last alignment looked like my camber was around -1.5. After the alignment my tires rubbed on big bumps, and noticed a bit of a difference in turn response, so i'm surpised that 1 degree can make such a difference..
Old 12-07-2006, 04:15 PM

I'd choose a street camber setting based on how hard I normally corner and how frequently. The harder you drive, the more suitable that more negative camber settings become.

Camber is quite easy to measure yourself - it can be done with surprisingly simple measuring equipment and a little trigonometry.

I'm also blaming toe for most of that wear unless your camber is visibly way, way off and you've been using the brakes hard. Tires are more tolerant of a little extra negative camber than they are of a bad toe setting.

Norm
Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 PM

just rotate them often and keep the pressures up higher...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm ready to get it all aligned up right again in the spring and get the tires rotated...