Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Sears Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 AM

Sears Brakes?

I need to get my front pads changed. I was getting ready to take it to Midas(b'cuz of their lifetime guarentee) but upon reading these forums and all the negative feedback on Midas, decided against that.

I'de like to know if Sears is a good place to have the brakes done. Any input from past experiences, knowledge, etc. would be great.

I'de take it to the dealers but Sears is much more convenient because I can get it done on my lunch break where I would have to take time off to take it to the dealer.

Again, any input would be great. If Sears sucks, I will take the time to take it to the dealer but I figured I'de ask here and see what Sears reputation is with brakes.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Kevlo for President

I would just buy some pads and I guess you could let them install it.

I would buy another set of stock pads, or a semimetalic or ceramic pad from an autoparts store.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Couple of things here, unless this has changed, Sears will only install their own part- something about warranties and liability. I've gone to them for a few things and they are pretty good for the most part but it also depends with each Sears shop. I've had good luck with them for the most part but i've also heard of people with crazy stories about sears. They have not done my brakes since I tend to do most of that stuff but if I had to get it done, I'd take it to them.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 AM

I'm in Baltimore and go down to DC quite often. I can change the pads for you if you're interested, no fee other than maybe a Big Mac PM me if you're interested. It would take me no longer than 30mins to change them for you.

chris
Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by cydrive
Couple of things here, unless this has changed, Sears will only install their own part- something about warranties and liability. I've gone to them for a few things and they are pretty good for the most part but it also depends with each Sears shop. I've had good luck with them for the most part but i've also heard of people with crazy stories about sears. They have not done my brakes since I tend to do most of that stuff but if I had to get it done, I'd take it to them.
I asked them while they were rotating my tires and thats what they said. They will only install their products.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by natty99
I'm in Baltimore and go down to DC quite often. I can change the pads for you if you're interested, no fee other than maybe a Big Mac PM me if you're interested. It would take me no longer than 30mins to change them for you.

chris
Sent you an email.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM

Yeah my sears is gay like that too. I dont shop with them anymore.

Honestly dude i would get some good hawk pads or similar and change them yourself. Not hard at all. Take the wheels off, pop the hood and take the cap off your brake fluid resivoir, take the 2 caliper bolts out and drop out the old pads, install new ones and put the caliper back on. Reason for taking the fluid cap off is you will need to press the pistons into the caliper to re-install it. If your carefull you shouldnt spill any fluid out of the resivoir. I have done brakes many times and never spilt any. Just dont forget to put the cap back on when you are done or you wont have any breaks next time you try to stop lol.

Originally Posted by cydrive
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jwad00
Yeah my sears is gay like that too. I dont shop with them anymore.

Honestly dude i would get some good hawk pads or similar and change them yourself. Not hard at all. Take the wheels off, pop the hood and take the cap off your brake fluid resivoir, take the 2 caliper bolts out and drop out the old pads, install new ones and put the caliper back on. Reason for taking the fluid cap off is you will need to press the pistons into the caliper to re-install it. If your carefull you shouldnt spill any fluid out of the resivoir. I have done brakes many times and never spilt any. Just dont forget to put the cap back on when you are done or you wont have any breaks next time you try to stop lol.
Whats the difference between performance pads like Hawk and OEM pads. Do performance pads last longer? Brake better? Whats their advantage?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 AM

replied to email
Old 03-01-2007, 06:09 AM

IMO, OEM pads combine the best of both worlds....good performance and relatively long life. Hawk pads have more bite and will make you stop like whoa! depending on which compound you get, intended for more spirited driving styles or if you just crave better braking--but at the expense of pad longevity. Depending on how you drive, OEMs may be enough...after all, if you were considering getting pads from Midas or Sears, you don't seem to be significantly performance oriented (I say that relative to the rest of the people on this forum). SO I'd say stick with OEMs.