Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Rear Brake Calliper problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Rear Brake Calliper problem

I was changing the pads on the rear brakes the other day and I ran into an interesting problem. The driver side brakes went just fine but when I got to the passenger side brakes the piston would not compress any further than it already was. I have that little tool that screws the piston in and out. I tried screwing the piston out and that worked just fine. I then screwed it back in but it would go no further than where it was originally. And with it out as far as it is, there is not way that I would be able to put on the new pads and fit it over the rotor.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what might be wrong?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sounds like you are on your way to the parts store for a new caliper..
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Bigbrother
I was changing the pads on the rear brakes the other day and I ran into an interesting problem. The driver side brakes went just fine but when I got to the passenger side brakes the piston would not compress any further than it already was. I have that little tool that screws the piston in and out. I tried screwing the piston out and that worked just fine. I then screwed it back in but it would go no further than where it was originally. And with it out as far as it is, there is not way that I would be able to put on the new pads and fit it over the rotor.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what might be wrong?

Thanks
Sounds like your emergency brake cable on that side might be fukked. Disconnect the cable if you can, then try to compress the piston. Usually, the cable is split and open just slightly forward of your tire under the car. There is a TSB about doing this by putting the car on a lift, and pinching the emergency brake cable.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Very sound, Mike

This might be a silly question, but did you uncap/unscrew the brake fluid reservoir?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by soundmike
This might be a silly question, but did you uncap/unscrew the brake fluid reservoir?
the piston should retract anyway....you should unscrew the bleeder screw at the caliper, but it would still retract either way.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
Sounds like your emergency brake cable on that side might be fukked. Disconnect the cable if you can, then try to compress the piston. Usually, the cable is split and open just slightly forward of your tire under the car. There is a TSB about doing this by putting the car on a lift, and pinching the emergency brake cable.

There was nothing wrong with the emergency cable as far as I know. I was able to remove it with no problems and it was removed when I tried to compressing the piston.

Originally Posted by soundmike
I thought of the same thing. but it didn't help. and as 97SEdriver said I should have been able to compress it in anyways.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Sounds like you are on your way to the parts store for a new caliper.
I was really hoping the parts store was not the answer.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 AM
this place is dead

There was nothing wrong with the emergency cable as far as I know. I was able to remove it with no problems and it was removed when I tried to compressing the piston.
I've had trouble compressing one of them when it's cold out, and the next time that same caliper that gave me fits end up being the easiest.

I was really hoping the parts store was not the answer.
You can take the piston off and bring it to a mechanic, they might be able to do it for way less than a new caliper. If you have a relationship with one, it should be easy, but if not stupid things like this will tell you who's honest and isn't out to get you.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 PM

You can get a loaner from Canadian Tire and if you return within 3 days, ..no charge.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

I JUST REplaced my driver side caliper for that issue........replaced it with an OEM remanufactured, but its rusting like hell...........I NEED CALIPER PAINT NOW