Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

cutting springs? . . . round 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 AM

cutting springs? . . . round 2

I disagree that cutting springs is always a hack job. Doing it right involves more technical savvy than swapping in a set of commercially available springs, which if anything makes it MORE of an advanced topic.

The closed thread linked to a thread over in "General", where I posted a reply (see link). Thoughtful comments probably won't get either of these threads shut down, but I'd suggest a little care in what and how I'd write anything. Not because it'd bother me (it wouldn't), just that I'd like to see it play out at least long enough for a few people to see.

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...ml#post6541026

Norm
Old 08-02-2008, 08:58 PM
retired moderator

I'm not going to go the highly technical route, but just a quick comment while I'm watching TV and drinking a beer....

alot of the classic car guys do it...cut and heat, etc etc....but it's mostly because of the limited choices in aftermarket springs. For our cars, you can just get coilovers and buy whatever spring rates you want from Eibach for fine tuning, as well as having the adjustable seat for ride heigh. Seems like a better option to me...

on a side note, as an experiment I did cut 1/2 coil off an old set of Maxspeeds for the Maxima. The main problem was that the cut end no longer had the taper on it as most A/M springs do, and it did not seat well on the upper mount...Threw off camber drastically (i compensated with my stillen camber plates to get within spec).

Also the ride quality was awful, and handling was not particularly improved. I would not suggest this route, personally. There are plenty of good options in the aftermarket for our cars.