Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

I Can't Figure Out This Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I Can't Figure Out This Noise!

I have run out of ideas and patience on this issue. I have Q45 calipers and the accompanying rotors on my 3rd Gen. I have had the driver side brakes apart and back together several times in the last 10 days or so with no luck.

The issue: The noise is kind of a squeaking / grinding noise...Kind of like the noise you can make with chalk while writing on a blackboard. It doesn't do it when the rotors are cold, only after they heat up after a stop or two. It isn't a constant noise, but rather an intermittent one that varies with speed. It is pretty consistently there (whether or not the rotors are cold) when you veer / turn either way. Then it's more like a crunching / grinding noise.

I took everything apart and cleaned it twice in the last week or so and put it back together. Everything looks like it should. Seemed to be gone for a minute, but then it came back. Today I did the same thing again, but this time sanding the brake pads and rotors...Not one bit of difference. What the hell is going on? I need some fresh ideas on this one.

Oh, BTW...you can kind of feel the grinding / crunching thru the steering wheel when turning. You can also rock the car back and forth and feel the noise by touching the tire. It isn't a smooth grinding, otherwise you wouldn't be able to feel it.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:47 PM
STFU n00b!

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me..

jack up and rock wheel up down/left right. check axle nut to make sure its tight.

If it is the wheel bearing, just go to the junkyard and get a new spindle/knuckle assembly w/ bearing. the effort and cost to replace the bad bearing and hub is a day's work and $180 in parts. you can get a junkyard knuckle for $50 and swap it in 20-30 min even with hand tools.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:47 AM

I am sure it is not a wheel bearing, Matt. This is definitely something dealing with the brakes. Besides, both front wheel bearings are less than a year old. It doesn't really become prevalent until I make a few stops and heat everything up.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 AM

^question

Do you experience this solely while turning left or right? When you begin to feel the grinding, do you feel it through your brake pedal and/or feel the brake pedal give way a little bit?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Don't think it has anything to do with the noise, but the inner brake pad has worn at an angle...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
STFU n00b!

look on the side of whichever angle is worn the most. see if a portion of the caliper is rubbing against the rotor out on the edge. I had one rubbing- I could hear it all the time- but never saw anything on the rotor. Aluminum calipers (in my case) never left marks on the rotor.. just made noise.

anyway, if the pad is wearing at an angle, you've probably got a siezed or worn out and really loose slider pin, allowing the caliper to twist against the torque arm.

It could also be the pad itself making the noise.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM

The pads are looking decently worn. I ordered new pads and am having the rotors turned. Brake job in the motel parking lot FTW!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 AM

How old is the rotors? Because they might be warn too. I had the same problem when I was working a my friends eclipse, he drive it into the ground, he wont sto driving it until he cant drive it anymore. I did a simple brake job, and I showed him his rotors were fairly warn, and it had a simaler problme like yours, but it never grinds. Get them refinished, I dont remember what the machine is called, but they like shave you rotors, like all the old brake pads leave stuff behind on the rotors, so alot of times people dont replace them when they should, thats when they start to get warn even more, and get worped. Just go to a nice shop, and ask them if they can shave you rotors or what every its called.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is possible that the piston in the caliper is sticking and could be coming out at a slight angle. The piston seal could be worn and not allowing the piston to retract inside the caliper fully. I had the same problem on the rear caliper of my Maxima.

If you are experiencing a grinding sound of some type, is it possible that the rotor is not able to seat properly on the hub base? If there is interference between the rotor and hub, it could cause your problem.

My first thought was bearing also, but if you have checked, these could be possible. Hope it helps.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by snowboi1289
How old is the rotors? Because they might be warn too. I had the same problem when I was working a my friends eclipse, he drive it into the ground, he wont sto driving it until he cant drive it anymore. I did a simple brake job, and I showed him his rotors were fairly warn, and it had a simaler problme like yours, but it never grinds. Get them refinished, I dont remember what the machine is called, but they like shave you rotors, like all the old brake pads leave stuff behind on the rotors, so alot of times people dont replace them when they should, thats when they start to get warn even more, and get worped. Just go to a nice shop, and ask them if they can shave you rotors or what every its called.
This is my vote, I had that same kind of sound and it was my front rotors worn. The sound got so horrendous at one point that once i accelerated it felt like my calipers were scraping across my rotors. Check out the rotors. If they are more than 21/2 years old it "could" be them.
the grinding noise comes from the length of time you leave your rotors on when they worn, the more they get worn, the more of a grinding noise u hear, usually takes more than 3 weeks to start grinding
Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM

Forgot all about this thread! Since I last updated, I did a brake job in a parking lot (still didn't cure the issue), drove the car from Oklahoma back to Texas, parked it and forgot about it for almost 2 months, bought a new car, and fixed it sometime over a month ago. It turned out to be a bad wheel bearing...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM

maybe your caliper need's lubrication.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Forgot all about this thread! Since I last updated, I did a brake job in a parking lot (still didn't cure the issue), drove the car from Oklahoma back to Texas, parked it and forgot about it for almost 2 months, bought a new car, and fixed it sometime over a month ago. It turned out to be a bad wheel bearing...
maybe your caliper need's lubrication.

I think you missed a post there buddy.

Glad you got it figured out!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by q.man06
I think you missed a post there buddy.

Glad you got it figured out!

ja ja lol sorry
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 AM

That really sucks...lol