Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

New Motor mounts;issue with safety

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 PM

New Motor mounts;issue with safety

i have new ES motor mounts to replace my old ones, simple, i have a press yada yada.

my issue with safety is that my Radiator support is suffering from the usual rust issues, its about halfway through. should i try to take the mounts out and risk structural integrity to attach these mounts or should i get the support first and just not worry about it down the road?
and is 150 to get a new one put on if i buy it, is this a good price?
Old 11-26-2009, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.
i have new ES motor mounts to replace my old ones, simple, i have a press yada yada.

my issue with safety is that my Radiator support is suffering from the usual rust issues, its about halfway through. should i try to take the mounts out and risk structural integrity to attach these mounts or should i get the support first and just not worry about it down the road?
You definitely want to replace the rad support asap, cuz once it's broken, you will hear clunking all the time, been there done that really.

Good luck

AA
Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.

I ran into a similar problem while I was trying to install a new steering rack. My rad support is rusted pretty bad but still has a year or two left in it. I know this because my buddy with a 97 had his done last year and was in worse shape than mine is right now. BTW, my buddy paid close to $1000 to have a new support put it. I know the part itself is around $150 if you can find a deal, but there's no way anyone will install it for $150. IIRC it's welded to the body.

We decided to hold off on the rack until I got a new support installed because there was no guarantee we would be able to get the bolts back in the support since it's so rusted. Thankfully I think it's all going in this weekend, I can't wait!!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 PM

Basically you have to remove pretty much everything up front. When I did mine, the engine bay was empty so there was room to work, but otherwise it would have taken a long week-end, that would include the disassembling/welding/bondo/sanding/priming/ painting & clear coating and the final assembling. The primer on the rad support is so cheap that it doesn't surprise me that after only few year rust get true it like nothing. I have use a high quality epoxy primer and base coat when I installed mine and I wont ever have to touch this again.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 PM

well, the cradle on my mothers silhouette oldsmobile busted, and after searching around i found a family friend who did it for 150, i had him take a look and he said the same for mine if i can take off the bumper and everything else in the way before i bring it to the shop, cut down on his work time.

i've read a few write-ups, it seems straightforward, but to difficult for me to handle, no welder lol. you can buy the lower rad support from nissan for 127(i think) or the whole front rad support for 57 from rockauto.com.
has anyone had any experience with rockautos rad support or other body pieces?

i wish i had the time to pop my engine out and get it done, but a daily driver is my only driver.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 AM

You can remove the rad support using a zip gun, this it what I used for my car. 2 guys can do the job on a week-end, but you need someone with a bit of experience in welding.

If you dont have access to a mig, you can buy a yellow propane toch and use bronze or silver to solder.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 AM

yeah i cant do the job, the support is busted and my engines hanging...sigh, getting it fixed asap.