Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Custom CNC'd Camber/Caster plates 4th gen who wants em!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thumbs down Custom CNC'd Camber/Caster plates 4th gen who wants em!

WARNING!!!! DO NOT BUY FROM OEM!!! FAULTY POUR CRAFTSMANSHIP AND HORENDOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE (NONE)!!! THEY DONT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT AND IT IS UNSAFE FOR ANY USE STREET OR TRACK. PRODUCT MADE IN SOMEONES GARAGE AND NO REAL ENGINEERING IS INTRODUCED OTHER THAN US TRYING IT OUT....IT FAILING...OEM KEEPING OUR MONEY!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Mods....if this in the wrong place sorry...seamed appropriate, please move as necessary.

Alright if you have been reading the thread about the Tein pillowball mounts near the end it has diverged into the topic of Custom Camber/Caster plates for our cars. http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...mount-a32.html

As you know, no one has made a set for the 4th gen for years....Ground Control upper mounts and Stillen/Cusco lower mounts...both discontinued and way over priced anyhow.

Good NEWS!

There is a company that currently makes custom CNCed machined parts for the b13/14 sentras amoung other cars and manuractures. They are http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...otorsports.com

Myself and Joe (98SEBlackMax) have been shooting them emails for the past couple of weeks. I purchased a set of their rear spherical (pillowball) bearing mounts for my car and will post pictures as soon as they arrive. We have been discusing the possiblility of them custom fabricating mounts Front Camber/Caster mounts. And good news! looks like its a go!!! we just have to show them alittle interest! See this post: http://forums.maxima.org/7498752-post40.html

From what I understand Joe is sending them a old Stillen mount to emulate along with a stock mount. Im going to send them a stock style spring mount so that they can make the adapters for those of us that dont want to run coilovers.

So whats it cost you say? Must be way out there...custom CNC no way...already out of budget! HA...nope....this is awesome! Here is the email he sent to me earlier tonight:

Paul, Just for you I pushed your order ahead so you can see our quality of work. The mounts are done and at the Powder Coaters. Should be done soon. They have a 10mm bearing in them. For a price on the Front mounts, $315 on single orders, $280 for 5 orders, for the top mounts. For the bottom style take off $50 both prices. We need a MIN of 2 orders.

Mark
Myself and Joe are already down for a set. If only three more people want mounts we can all get an awesome deal.

So break that down assuming there are at least 5 of us that want these :duh:

GC upper mount style: $280
Stillen lower style: $230

Thats nuts! both prices are a far cry from GC/Stillens $400+ prices

Good news is doesnt matter what configuration you need....it counts. If you want a set of top mounts GC style....he can do that (can you say increased wheel travel??? Move the mounting point in the suspension up therefore increasing suspension travel on your strut )

If you want a set of bottom mounts stillen style....he can do that!

You want coilovers on your set up....no prob

lowering springs/stock style springs (eibachs, ect)....we gotcha!

Do you run a custom strut with a larger or smaller diameter than a stock strut? They can install the spherical bushing of your desired size!

Here are pics of the mounts for the b14 that will emulate what he is going to fab up for us.

Top mount (with 3 point strut bar bolted on top of the mount):

Exploded view:

Bottom mount Exploded View:

Last edited by sergofast; 02-25-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM

So who is in?!?!?!?

Im gonna start the list off:

1. sergofast
2. Fast1one
3. 98SEBlackMax
4. ajm8127

Last edited by sergofast; 04-09-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 PM

1. sergofast
2. Fast1one

So I'm in, however I have a few questions regarding the two different configurations. Obviously, the top mount will allow increased travel potential. Are there any other advantages? What kind of adjustablility are we talking here, particularly in the caster?

I have JIC coilovers. Not sure if that is going to change things. I can probably go ahead and call them and see if I would need a bushing to accommodate. If the only advantage of a top mount is travel, then I'm in for bottom mount.

Thanks for getting this underway! Awesome stuff
Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

You know I'm in for a set of top mounts with those triangular braces.

These are nice cause camber/caster mounts can work for everyone that is interested in performance. Road course, auto-x, drag racing, and highway fun. Also an alignment shop will be able to finally front align all three of the major specs!

Having more caster will help increase the stability and stiffen up the steering a bit. Makes it less likely to pull sideways under power and more dynamic negative camber gain when corning. Drawbacks would be heavy steering and the wheel will be more reluctant to self-center after taking a turn. Extreme caster change can make the tires dig into the fender but that would be alot of caster.

Now combine that with the top mounts giving more travel to a travel limited suspension. You know im down for a set!

We have to measure how much room we have for the top mounts and I doubt all the standard strut tower braces will fit. We also have to figure out where to put those triangular pieces but that may come later on. Normal bottom mounts would be ideal for most people.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:37 AM

I'm in also. I'm a little confused about the top/bottom mount difference. I guess the large triangular plate goes on the top and bottom of the strut tower respectively? I would assume with konis and eibachs, top mount would be the way to go? Which situations would dictate the use of a top mount versus a bottom mount, and which situations would be better suited to a bottom mount? Also, with the increase in suspension travel, are shortened konis now too short?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Bottom mount bolts on just like stock from the bottom. the top mount bolts on from the topside which moves the center bolt (the strut bolt) up about an inch and would increase the amount of travel that your suspension can move if you have a lowered car.

The bottom mount will not increase travel at all. top mount should, but there is a chance that it will not work with stock springs. I am sending them the parts to test fit next week and we will see.

As for the shortened konis being to short....doubt it...we already have so little suspension travel in these cars. Anyone else have more insight on this?

The pics above are a little confusing if you have not seen a topmount before because the only pics I had of their stuff was with the three way strut bars. directly under the aluminum colored plates you will see a "riser" of sorts that is black and about an inch thick. That is the top mount camber plate.

Here is a pic of someone elses topmount (no idea what type of car this is on....for reference only):

Last edited by sergofast; 04-09-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

OK, that was pretty much what I was thinking. I figured that the top mount might only work with smaller diameter springs than the stock style ones (eibachs). In that case, I need the bottom mounts I suppose, because I have konis and eibahcs.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM

So looks like we have four!

1. sergofast: Top
2. Fast1one: Bottom
3. 98SEBlackMax: Top
4. ajm8127: Bottom

Please keep updating the list
Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 PM

any chance these will fit on a 3rd gen?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Hey at least give me credit for informing you on OEM!

Look like you 2 got the ball rolling quite quickly!

To bad I will never run pillow ***** on my car ever again.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Hey at least give me credit for informing you on OEM!

Look like you 2 got the ball rolling quite quickly!

To bad I will never run pillow ***** on my car ever again.
Oops sorry, my bad. Totally props to jsutter for the headsup on OEM! Wouldn't have ever known about them if it extent for him.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
any chance these will fit on a 3rd gen?
I was wondering the same thing about the. 5th gen. Is the bolt pattern of the strut mount the same? If you have a extra stick top mount we can always send it ru them and find out.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast
I was wondering the same thing about the. 5th gen. Is the bolt pattern of the strut mount the same? If you have a extra stick top mount we can always send it ru them and find out.
I believe they should fit 3rd gens since I believe matt93se was running 4th gen top mounts a while ago.

They may fit 5th gens as well. The lower mounts for the strut are different but the strut towers might be the same.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Yes 3,4,5 gens do have the same upper strut mount bolt holes. My dad has an 07, I should check those too!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Yes 3,4,5 gens do have the same upper strut mount bolt holes. My dad has an 07, I should check those too!
Oh wow that's awesome! Do you know if the stock springs are the same diameter/shape at the top? I know he is going to make a configuration to fit my 4th gen. If so then I should let the 3rd and 5th gen guys know. What about 6th gen?

I want to see if I can fit my Eibachs w the top mount style.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The Sentra crowd has been using the GC style plates for some time. I dont thing I once saw a setup with traditional springs. You may want to search over on both sr20 forums to see if its possible to do so. The stock upper spring mount is very large in diameter and takes up too much space. Clearance will be an issue with the added adjustment with the top mount style. With stillen plates, camber is limited to the opening in the strut tower. Coilovers are 2.5" od, thus giving you more clearance for adjustment.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 PM

I know your probably right. I am just hesitating w the GC because I like the ride the Eibachs. I figured if it was gonna work I would have to cut out the top of my strut towers but then I have to worry about that huge *** spring. :/
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast
I know your probably right. I am just hesitating w the GC because I like the ride the Eibachs. I figured if it was gonna work I would have to cut out the top of my strut towers but then I have to worry about that huge *** spring. :/
gc coilovers use eibach springs,
Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 PM

How much extra travel do you get when converting from oem mount style to upper mount style? Suspension travel is a MAJOR problem with a lowered 3rd gen.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Thats what I was thinking. If anyone wants top mount plates they will have to most likely get coilovers.

You can opt for softer coilover springs the trick is to look beyond what Eibach and GC have to offer for 6" long 2.5" diameter race springs.

I run 5 KG (280 pound) 2.5" diameter Swift coilover springs on my rear suspension. They are much softer than what GC has for their "secret" rear spring rate, which is estimated to be around a 375 pound rate. Another bonus the Swift springs are 0.8 pounds lighter than the Eibach race springs I had.

Swift makes alot of different spring rates with a 6" long 2.5" diameter spring and there are numerous different springs available in a 7" long 2.5" diameter size which are used on the front suspension. Eibach, Swift, and Hypercoil make alot of good 7" springs.

To keep the coilover noise down use 2.5" helper springs and couplers. My GC/Koni has been quiet and trouble free. Only at extreme cornering there is some noise and clunking in the front, but I believe the Stillen plates not being coaxial is causing that issue.

You can ask the local .org guys that know me and my car. The ride isn't harsh and there are no noises normally thought to go along with GC coilovers.

I will never go back to OEM style springs, properly setup coilovers are the way to go. We need to get rid of these preconceived notions that this forum has and move on with the rest of the sport tuning world. I've learned alot from racers and track guys. So many things haven't been tried on A32s that are common sense no-duh kind of things else where.

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 04-10-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 AM

The whole opportunity to get new front mounts has me thinking about moving to coilovers. I was just checking out Hypercoil's website and they have a ton of offerings in 6 and 7 inch springs. I know that this would be superior to stock style springs. As of right now, I'm thinking I might want to go with the top mounts after all. I do like the Eibach springs, but sometimes I wish they were a bit firmer. Let me know when you guys need a decision as to which style mounts I want. I'm still in, just undecided on the style at this point.

Jsutter, what negative experience did you have with pillow ball mounts?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
The whole opportunity to get new front mounts has me thinking about moving to coilovers. I was just checking out Hypercoil's website and they have a ton of offerings in 6 and 7 inch springs. I know that this would be superior to stock style springs. As of right now, I'm thinking I might want to go with the top mounts after all. I do like the Eibach springs, but sometimes I wish they were a bit firmer. Let me know when you guys need a decision as to which style mounts I want. I'm still in, just undecided on the style at this point.

Hypercoil is a very reputable company and the only one trusted by many hardcore auto-xer's. This summer I am going to weigh all my suspension components and corner weight the car so I can get new springs from them.

Many of my local buddies can't believe these are going to be that cheap. Insane deal!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I bought the Stillen camber plates used. They rattled and made all kinds of racket driving around town. I replaced the spherical bearings thinking they were worn out and it would solve the issue. It didnt. Maybe I got another bad bearing because I did notice one was a looser fit. Or maybe the plate was worn out. Either way its all metal to metal. Since there is no rubber in the mount ride is noticeably more harsh. But thats what comes with RACE parts, more NVH. Im not interested in more noises. Also with Eibachs and CSK my ride is great. I dont need anymore travel nor do I want to go back to coilovers. No point for a daily driver.

Eibach pro kit springs are progressive rate. Eibach 2.5" coilover springs are linear rate. They will never feel the same. GC default rates are high so you could choose lower rates for better street ride.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by ajm8127

Hypercoil makes alot of 2.25" diameter 6" springs. But the GCs only use a 2.5" diameter spring and with the 6" Hypercoil catalog those start at a 600 pound spring rate. Way to high of a rate for a street car IMO.

It would of made more sense for GC to use a 2.25" D 6" L spring in the rear and a 2.5" D 7" L spring in the front. One reason I was happy to find out about those Swift springs.

The pillowball mounts do increase road noise and over hard bumps they make this metallic ping noise. But ride quality isn't all that different than stock mounts, just a higher NVH.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM

My pillow ***** on the JICs have been relatively quiet for the 8 months I have owned them. Very very minimal increase in road noise.

I can't wait for these!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 AM

What I really need to do is replace all of my worn bushngs with ES parts (even the trailing arms), which I have, just need to find the time. I also think those subframe collars would be a good investment. If I am still not satisfied after that, then raising the spring rate would be the next step I would think. I just put the Eibach Pro Kit on like two months ago; it's hard to justify new springs already. I think the bottom mounts are the way to go for me at this time. Also, I didn't orginally consider the differences between linear and progressive springs.

Is OEM going to cary these parts for the Maxima after the initial R&D is done, or is this a one time run?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Ok tonight I am going to gather up all the parts to ship out to OEM. I got the Stillen plate and a upper stock mount. Anything else that is needed?

For guys with coilovers you need to know what size spring they use so OEM can make the spring mount. GCs are 2.5" springs but the other coilover brands I'm not sure about. You will probally need needle roller bearings to take the place of the stock strut bearing, it will be around $25~$35 for those. I can vouch for the GC/Koni setups and they will need them.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Ok tonight I am going to gather up all the parts to ship out to OEM. I got the Stillen plate and a upper stock mount. Anything else that is needed?

For guys with coilovers you need to know what size spring they use so OEM can make the spring mount. GCs are 2.5" springs but the other coilover brands I'm not sure about. You will probally need needle roller bearings to take the place of the stock strut bearing, it will be around $25~$35 for those. I can vouch for the GC/Koni setups and they will need them.
Do you have the stock spring tophat that you can send while you are putting stuff together? I have to find the extra one that I have, but if you have one laying around...go ahead and through it in there.

Whats that about the roller bearings? These all come with spherical (or pillowball) bearings....or am I just reading this wrong?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fast1one
My pillow ***** on the JICs have been relatively quiet for the 8 months I have owned them. Very very minimal increase in road noise.

I can't wait for these!
They were find on the b13 sentra I had too....and that was a much harsher ride than my max
Old 04-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

The bearings take the place of the plastic stock strut bushing. They make them for 2.25" and 2.5" coilovers. Bearings allow the spring and strut to rotate freely when turning.

http://www.amazon.com/Torrington-NTA...1039644&sr=1-3

These are an example of what they look like.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:03 PM

oh yeah....gotcha. was overlooking that...thinking about something else.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM

im in for a set of the Stillen lower style
Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 PM

Looks like we have enough now

2. Fast1one: Bottom
5. Big D: Bottom
Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 AM

So the top mount comes with the 3pt strut bar or is it sold separately?? Is the top mount compatible with stock strut?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

For $280? No the 3 point brace will be seperate. That will be another design we may or may not do in the future. So I have no idea on the pricing.

Top mount will more than likely be a coilover only option. When he gets all the spring perchs it will be certain. The brand of strut shouldn't matter all that much. All the front stock style struts (Koni, AGX, Tokico) I've seen have the same strut rod size.

I think only a few hardcore guys will opt for the top mount setup.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Just kidding, I think I want the top mount now. Seems easier to adjust.

2. Fast1one: Top
5. Big D: Bottom
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Probably another good thing to point out. GC style mounts bolt to the strut tower and then the coilovers, top hats/upper seat, & bearing are inserted from below. I really doubt stock sized springs could mount like that.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Ok got all the parts from the Maxima museum packed up and will send them off to Mark at OEM. We will know later on this week or early next week as to what he can do for us.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Conecarver

Great find and good luck! Better deal than the $$ I spent years ago!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM

Im seriously interested just no money to buy them right now

Quick Reply: Custom CNC'd Camber/Caster plates 4th gen who wants em!