Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

5.5 gen LCA bushings how to

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 PM

5.5 gen LCA bushings how to

so i just finished installing my new LCA bushings from energy and let me tell you that was a PITA!!! after doing one side it went pretty quick but there were a few things i wanted to share with you guys that i didnt know before doing this....

-first jack both wheels up and make sure the cars sturdy,put the e-brake on too

-take the wheels off and take the axle nut and tie rod cotter pins out.

-loosen the 32mm axle nut

-then unbolt the strut bolts on the knuckle(should be a 17mm and 19mm)

-disconnect the sway bar links connecting to the LCA with hand tools (air tools might break the link)

-now i forgot my 1/2" swivel at work, so instead of removing the ball joint, i disconnected the abs wire(follow it into the engine bay its just a connector)

-then i loosen the tie rod and smacked the knuckle and set the tie rod aside

-after doing this remove the two 19mm brake caliper bracket bolts, and hang the brakes with a bungy cord from the spring

-now remove all 6 22mm bolts holding up the bush link and the rear bushing housing

-you should now have the control arm with the hub still connected on the ground

-heres the fun part, grab your propane torch and start melting the bushings (one at a time), be very careful with the big rear bushings, there filled with liquid and "burst" when hot enough, so wear proper attire(i got blasted and alittle burnt, lol)

-once hot enough using a 1/2 socket(14mm) as a punch smack the small bushing center sleeve out

-with the big one after the bushing melts you can grab a big screw driver, stick it in the bolt hole on the bushing housing and twist it untill it turns 180 and you can feel the bushing is torn completely

-i used a sawzal and starting cutting a line through the sleeves on the bushing housings, after you get all the way through the sleeves will come out with a screwdriver and hammer, if its not, your not all the way through the metal, keep cutting carefully.

- then carefully line up the sawzal blade(fully extended) with the rear bushing arm so you dont cut the LCA and cut the sleeve with the 2 nubs on it and carefully cut a line down the middle, then grab some pliers and twist it right off,again if it doesnt come off its not cut all the way through

-clean the holes that the bushings are going to go in

- now you can start using the energy grease and grease ALL the contact points
for the bushings,you should have more than enough grease

- using a vise as a press, press the new bushings into the control arm

-then press the big bushing into the housing,make sure you dont press it in backwards, it says rear right on the bushing

- now you can start the reasembly, i used a jack to hold up the control arm while i put all the bolts back in(i put every bolt in its place, then tightened,make sure you use a penetrating oil on all of the 22mm bolts,spray the holes too it will make things much easier.

i only took about a mile ride but the car feels sooo much better, the steering is more refined, it feels tighter too. i will post an update after some time behind the wheel.

hope this helps
Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 PM
PM me for LCA's!

That's a great way to do it. However you can also take the knuckle off the LCA before taking the LCA off the car. So, no need to do the axle, abs line,etc.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

yeah its a tight squeeze to get that nut off, even with the axle out you need a swivel/ujoint on an impact gun, i said F it and went the other route, lol
Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 PM

UPDATE FRom the OP??!?!?

I think I'm just going to buy a whole new control arm, and be done with it.

gr