Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

good spring/shock combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM

good spring/shock combo

Hey guys I just bought a 97 maxima bone stock I really lik the car ( coming from a 91 sentra se-r with a VE) I'm making the maxima my daily so I can park my se-r I'm looking for a nice drop with a good ride I'm also putting some 350z wheels so I don't want to much gap. So what's a great spring/shock combo?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM

I'm sving up for tokico illumina shocks/struts paired with H&R springs. Mild drop ...like 1.5" with good ride quality...the illuminas are adjustable so that's a big plus.

What do you consider a "nice drop"?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Like 2" drop
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 AM

This is just from what I have read on this forum...but like the B13, the A32 doesnt have much suspension travel. Some threads have shown only about 2.5" of travel, so a 2" drop would have you on the bump stops.

If you are still looking for that drop and only looking at springs, Teins are close to that drop. It seems for an aggressive drop of 2" probably best to save up for an suspension travel adjustable coil over like the K sports or JICs. Particularly if you are looking for comfort for a DD.

What I ended up doing, although not installed yet, are shortened konis and modified rear mounts (like old-school Motivational B14 mounts) to regain travel and coupled with H&Rs as I was looking for comfort. H&Rs are a bit more than 1" drop and are on the softer side.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 AM

Oh ok so pretty much all fwd nissan's don't have travel from factory well I got some d2's on my classic & its a lil to stiff even on the soft setting I didn't want that for a dd but thanks for the info
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hurddawg
This is just from what I have read on this forum...but like the B13, the A32 doesnt have much suspension travel. Some threads have shown only about 2.5" of travel, so a 2" drop would have you on the bump stops.

If you are still looking for that drop and only looking at springs, Teins are close to that drop. It seems for an aggressive drop of 2" probably best to save up for an suspension travel adjustable coil over like the K sports or JICs. Particularly if you are looking for comfort for a DD.

What I ended up doing, although not installed yet, are shortened konis and modified rear mounts
THis is what I did. Koni Yellows shortened currently running on Eibach Pro but soon to be on Progress springs (the progress are supposed to be a bit softer and have a tad bit more of a drop, so I think they will ride nicer than the eibachs).

I also had a b13 with shortened konis. loved it....and wish my maxima could handle like that car...still havent gotten there. Im gonna get the Panhard rod done and hope that brings a bit more of the smaller b13 feel to the car.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM

you know your old when you call it lowering and wheels.... and not drop and rims.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jfeli
Oh ok so pretty much all fwd nissan's don't have travel from factory well I got some d2's on my classic & its a lil to stiff even on the soft setting I didn't want that for a dd but thanks for the info
Well, S13/S14s have the same issue with travel, so its not just FWD Nissans

Another idea I read is using Koni Reds from the 3rd gen, I believe minimum drop necessary to use them was 2 inches. Tuned it out a bit since I knew I wasnt going for that. If interested try searching. I think JClaw was the one doing it....
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 PM

So csk's are the best way damn that gonna cost alot