Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

shortening cv axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM

shortening cv axles

Ok so im looking around the innernet on how to shorten axles and stumbled across a sentra spec r forum saying that they Frankenstein there axles for when they swap Vq Motors they use half maxima shaft and half sentra shaft maxima side connects to tranny and sentra side connects to they hub its so they keep the axle as short as possible so I'm thinking maybe for a quick way for lowered guys to save cash and hassle of buying new axles every year or so we do the opposite snetra half to tranny and our maxima half connected to the hub wondering if anyone else has done or even thought about it

Last edited by tallguesse07; 06-11-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by tallguesse07
Ok so im looking around the inner webs on how and stumble across a sentra spec r forum saying that they Frankenstein there axles for when they swap it in Vq motors and trannys that they use the half that connects to tranny is from a maxima but they use the half that connects to the hub is off their sentra so I'm thinking maybe for a quick way for lowered guys to save the hassle of buying new axles every year or so we do the opposite snetra half to tranny and our maxima half connected to the hub wondering if anyone else has done or even thought about it
Please read what you just wrote.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM

the reason why i hate writing a thread on my phone i will edit this gimmie a bit
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM

the reason why i hate writing a thread on my phone i will edit this gimmie a bit
What has me thrown off is that you said that a Sentra with a swapped Maxima transmission is made to work by swapping out the half shaft on the transmission side to be compatible. >So hub is Sentra and input to trans is Maxima.

Then you ask why don't we swap half shafts from a Sentra to Maxima.

I think what you mean is: Why don't people just swap out a Maxima's half shaft instead of full axel replacement(?)

If that's it; the answer is a full axel swap is easier IMO.

Am I understanding you right?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 AM
^ Jeff™

Sentra has a skinnier wheelbase, no?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 AM

yeah pretty much im saying for ppl balling on a budget like me Hahaha jkjk but I mean I go to junkyards regularly and I always notice how some sentra and altima parts are very similarly to maximas and read that the part of the axle that connects to. Trans is identical to a sentra just that the hub is smaller then on a max Idk might look into it more and make sure... looks like another trip to the junkyards soon
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM

4th 5th gens can use a 6th manual driver side, it's shorter.

As for the passenger side...
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Ok so I'm looking around the internet on how to shorten axles, and stumbled across a Sentra spec r forum. It says they Frankenstein there axles when they swap Vq Motors. They use half maxima shaft, and half sentra shaft. The Maxima side connects to tranny, and Sentra side connects to they hub so they keep the axle as short as possible.

I'm thinking maybe for a quick way for lowered guys to save cash and hassle of buying new axles every year or so, we do the opposite. Sentra half to tranny, and our maxima half connected to the hub. wondering if anyone else has done or even thought about it.
Fixed

You still havent established how this would help lowered maximas not blow cv joints.

Stock ride height places a half shaft at nearly 0*. Lowering a maxima results in a longer distance between splined ends (the inner joint is a plunging tripod type), so a shorter shaft would not even function. Also a shorter shaft would mean higher angularity at the joints and result in shorter life spans of the joints.

If anything, you would want longer shafts and LCAs to match.

Last edited by asand1; 06-16-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM

You my friend are thinking about this bass ackwards.....

Just flip your whole statement around.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Fixed

You still havent established how this would help lowered maximas not blow cv joints.

Stock ride height places a half shaft at nearly 0*. Lowering a maxima results in a longer distance between splined ends (the inner joint is a plunging tripod type), so a shorter shaft would not even function. Also a shorter shaft would mean higher angularity at the joints and result in shorter life spans of the joints.

If anything, you would want longer shafts and LCAs to match.
longer axles are better for dropped maximas... but only by a smidge. Also, if u could swap the CV bearings with Titan front bearings from the 4wd front end... NOW YOUR TALK'n reliable and long enough. The only issue would be the added unsprung weight... worth it IMO!!