All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI How To?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005 | 06:55 PM
What was that?

00VI How To?

Is there a "how to" for the 00VI swap? My bro is planning on doing this. I don't know much about this subject so sorry for the ignorance.
Old 03-28-2005 | 07:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think somebody has yet to make a writeup. All I can tell you is that you can probably get both upper and lower for less than 200$, so it's alot cheaper and more worth it than the mevi. Good choice
Old 03-28-2005 | 07:33 PM
What was that?

Wow! If it really is that cheap then I'm going to pick one up myself. I guess me and my bro will use each side of the garage. Dual VI Maximas in the same household would be nutz. I'm trying for the quest of 200 whp. Do you think the VI along with a ECU would bring me up to there. I have a Y-pipe,2.5"B-pipe, and flowmaster muffler, and CAI.
Old 03-28-2005 | 07:36 PM

Some N/A 4th gens have broken 200whp. Record for now is 212whp/204wtq I believe. The 00-01 VI probably gives you a few more peak hp than the mevi but most importantly the low end doesn't suffer. Ever seen 00-01 dyno curves? Flat as hell. Best 3.0 manifold.

I think with this setup you would be in the 190's for sure, but I'm not sure you can break 200 without headers.

Check www.car-part.com, you might find some good deals. I saw a lower for 58$.

Install is supposed to be fairly complicated though...
Old 03-28-2005 | 09:06 PM

Finally completing the swap its was some what complicated (since it was my first time doing something like that) but now that I have done it I would be able to put it in faster and things would go a lot smoother. Now that I have some knowledge I can help you if you need it, for example: what parts because there are a lot of little things you need to get besides the manifolds themselves. I can only help you if you are replacing the upper, lower manifolds, fuel rail, and using the 5th gen throttle body. There are others that have reused most of the 4th gen parts and only bought the upper manifold. I'll Post a pic of mine next time, since I have cleaned it up a bit.
Old 03-28-2005 | 09:20 PM
What was that?

Well I don't know much about what is needed for the install and help would be appreciated including parts lists. I'm sure me and my father can do this install. I'm just not sure on what else is needed besides the manifolds. Is this basically plug and play, or do things need to be fabricated to make this work.
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:27 AM

I'm very interested in this mod also but would like details on what little things I'd need besides the manifolds. Some background info: I want to use the 5th gen throttle body, IACV and EGR systems, upper and lower manifolds, and fuel rail.
Basically I'll be using 5th gen parts from the heads up. This seems to be the easiest and most streamlined approach and is really all the "customizing" I'm willing to deal with right now.
Any/all input is appreciated. Thanks for your understanding.
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:40 AM

Hey Caracicatriz,
IMHO I'd say you should hit 200whp w/ the mods you have, plus the 00 VI (w/ the power valves removed), a set of underdrive pulleys and some ECU tuning. The biggest downside I see to this setup is the lost of low-end and mid-range power you'll have. Anyone care to comment on this?
Again it's just my humble opinion, but does anyone know for sure if the low end loss you get w/ a 00 VI without the power valves is more or less than the supposed low end gain you get w/ a 00 VI over the USIM? If so it'd effectively "cancel out" the low end difference and you'd basically have the low end from the stock USIM with a superior top end to the stock 00 VI. Just thinking out loud I guess. Please chime in if I'm way off on my reasoning. I'm fairly new to posting on the org so be gentle.

p.s. What does your name mean?
Old 03-29-2005 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaxesRule
Hey Caracicatriz,
IMHO I'd say you should hit 200whp w/ the mods you have, plus the 00 VI (w/ the power valves removed), a set of underdrive pulleys and some ECU tuning. The biggest downside I see to this setup is the lost of low-end and mid-range power you'll have. Anyone care to comment on this?
Again it's just my humble opinion, but does anyone know for sure if the low end loss you get w/ a 00 VI without the power valves is more or less than the supposed low end gain you get w/ a 00 VI over the USIM? If so it'd effectively "cancel out" the low end difference and you'd basically have the low end from the stock USIM with a superior top end to the stock 00 VI. Just thinking out loud I guess. Please chime in if I'm way off on my reasoning. I'm fairly new to posting on the org so be gentle.
Why go through all the trouble of installing the 00VI (it is by no means plug and play) and not use the power valve?
Old 03-29-2005 | 10:36 AM

The parts I used was:
1) upper manifold
2)lower manifold
3)'00 egr guide tube
4)'00 fuel rail and injectors ( but the junk yard sent me '01 QX4 feul rail and injectors so I guess their the same)
5)5th gen throttle body (for the iacv if you have the 5th gen plug just have to connect the wires this forum has the details on that http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=388274)
6)new bolts for the throttle body, and upper manifold if they don't come with it
7)More air tubes and others I will post later
Old 03-29-2005 | 10:39 AM

Doesn't it eliminate the need for an rpm switch and free up a few more hp at the expense of a few lb. ft of torque? I only suggested it as a means for someone to gain more top end without losing too much if any low end. For my personal taste, my vq w/ a working knock sensor is all the low end I need or can get from this motor na. The top end, however, is what needs most/all of my attention.
Is that a bad idea?
Old 03-29-2005 | 10:45 AM

Well if you have a VQ35 low end is no problem... curious to see what numbers krismax puts down when he's done.
Old 03-29-2005 | 10:47 AM

Doesn't it eliminate the need for an rpm switch and free up a few more hp at the expense of a few lb. ft of torque? I only suggested it as a means for someone to gain more top end without losing too much if any low end. For my personal taste, my vq w/ a working knock sensor is all the low end I need or can get from this motor na. The top end, however, is what needs most/all of my attention.
Is that a bad idea?
It might allow a little more flow at top end, but I seriously doubt you'd be able to see any benefit unless you're boosted. The open power valve doesn't obstruct the incoming air flow hardly at all (although the diagram in the FSM makes it seem like it does).
Old 03-29-2005 | 10:55 AM

Thanks SDot. Do you have an idle issue like BSwithTF did or have you found a way to correctly adapt the 5th gen IACV to this project?
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:01 AM

Oic. I was just going by the driving impression he (whoever first did this) got on how much more the engine pulls w/ out the power valve when I read about whoever it was that removed it. Was it SR20 that posted about it? Can't remember at the moment.
So as far as disadvantages to removing the power valves, is it only that it's very tedious to remove them or are there performance disadvantages to doing this?
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:05 AM

Forgive the newbie question but can anyone tell me how to quote a message in a reply? I tried checking the box for that at the bottom of this screen but it won't let me check it. Thanks for ur patience.
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:07 AM

I still have some issues but its not serious stuff. The only thing I see wrong is when I stop at lights or leave it idling for a while it will drop to 500 rpms for a while instead of the 700-800 range. Like BSwithTF said I can live with it.
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:10 AM

JClaw Well if you have a VQ35 low end is no problem... curious to see what numbers krismax puts down when he's done.

I bet, but unfortunately not all of us are fortunate enough to own a VQ35 powered vehicle or have the mechanical inclination & or resources for such an in-depth swap.
A guy can dream though.....
Neither can I!
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
It might allow a little more flow at top end, but I seriously doubt you'd be able to see any benefit unless you're boosted. The open power valve doesn't obstruct the incoming air flow hardly at all (although the diagram in the FSM makes it seem like it does).
lol Ooops....N/m my second to last post.
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:16 AM

Cool cool. Has anyone figured out how to correct the idle with this mod?
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:20 AM

SDot
If it's not too much trouble, can you include a pricelist with these parts and where you got them? I realize this may be asking a bit much but I'd really appreciate knowing I have all the parts I need for this mod while knowing I wasn't ripped off buying them.
Did you get all the main parts (upper & lower im w/ tb, iac hardware and fuel rail w/ injectors) from car-part.com?
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:32 AM

Cool cool. Has anyone figured out how to correct the idle with this mod?
What I did with SlamdMax98's is make a backing plate that the IACV bolts to. The plate has an area milled out for the IACV solenoid plunger to recess into. The backside of the plate has a hose fitting, and I ran a hose from the IACV to the brake booster nipple on the 00VI.

Old 03-29-2005 | 11:45 AM

Forgive my density but how does this solve the idle problem? Also, what's the reason for the low idle in the first place? So this fixes it 100%?
So what's your take on removing the power valve again? Is it pointless?
Thanks much.
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:50 AM

So this is a pic of SlamdMax98's ride? Do you have a VI powered 4th gen yourself? How much did you charge to make that plate and what's the likelihood that I could get one of these made from you?
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:59 AM

Forgive my density but how does this solve the idle problem? Also, what's the reason for the low idle in the first place? So this fixes it 100%?
So what's your take on removing the power valve again? Is it pointless?
Thanks much.
Having a working IACV allows the ecu to control idle speed.

My opinion is that if you're NA the gain in top end power is minimal, and your loss in low-midrange power is large. I haven't seen any proof that a NA Maxima gains from removing the power valve - maybe it exists and I just haven't seen it.
Old 03-29-2005 | 12:05 PM

So this is a pic of SlamdMax98's ride? Do you have a VI powered 4th gen yourself? How much did you charge to make that plate and what's the likelihood that I could get one of these made from you?
Yes, I have a 00VI on my car, but I control idle speed with the throttle body butterfly adjuster screw, like we used to do waaaay back in the 20th century with carbureted engines. It works well enough, but not as good as having the IACV working. I used Slamd's 00VI to experiment on with the IACV setup.

I could make a mounting plate for, say, $75 shipped.
Old 03-29-2005 | 12:13 PM

Why can't the idle be controlled the same way it would be stock just with the iacv replaced by a 5th gen one?
I see your point on the power valve thing. Still, I think I'd try it anyway just to see what the top end feels like and replace it later if/when I notice the low and mid range power loss.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005 | 12:17 PM

StephanMax
Where'd you get your parts from? Would this be an accurate list of the parts I'd need for the 4th gen to 5th gen manifold swap?
1) upper & lower manifolds w/ tb & bolts
2) fuel injectors and rail
3) iacv adapter
4) EGR guide tube
Old 03-29-2005 | 12:27 PM

Why can't the idle be controlled the same way it would stock just with the iacv replaced by a 5th gen one?
I see your point on the power valve thing. Still, I think I'd try it anyway just to see what the top end feels like and replace it later if/when I notice the low and mid range power loss.
Thanks.
I'm not sure anyone has converted the harness connectors and gotten it to work with the 5th gen IACV. Anyone know for sure?
Old 03-29-2005 | 12:39 PM

So would using a 5th gen iacv harness fix this? Or would you need the 5th gen iacv itself also?
Old 03-29-2005 | 05:24 PM

The 5th gen throttle body comes with the iacv on it already, you need the 5th gen iacv plug to or did what I did and modify the 4th gen iacv plug to go into the 5th gen iacv since I did not have one.
Old 03-29-2005 | 08:58 PM

The "plug" comes w/ the iacv assembly or are u saying that it's something else I have to get separate? And that concludes the list I had a few posts back?
Thanks much!
Old 03-30-2005 | 05:43 AM

The plug should come with but some times (like mine) don't because the junk yard threw it away. All you have to do is ask them if it on there on they will tell you. And I got all my parts from car-part.com 100 for the upper 100 for the lower, 100 for the fuel rail and injectors, 70 for the throttle body. For the bolts I got them at nissan.
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:13 PM

Sorry for the delay. Thanks a lot for being patient w/ the noob guys. This is why I love the org so much!!!
So what comes w/ the manifolds as far as iac stuff? Just the valve, hoses and maybe the plug?
Thanks for the price reference too!! I'm definately planning on doing this mod and I'll let you all know how it turns out when it's done.
Old 03-31-2005 | 12:12 PM

Here's the part #s for Nissan gaskets for the 5th gen IM swap if you choose to replace...

Upper Manifold Gasket = upper to lower 14033-2Y901
Lower Manifold Gasket = lower to heads 14035-38U01 (need two) $
Throttle Body Gasket = TB to upper 16175-2Y901

Knock sensor = while it's easily accessible 22060-30P00
Old 03-31-2005 | 05:49 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Having a working IACV allows the ecu to control idle speed.
Doesn't the IACV also have the coolant connection which allows it to idle at 1500 or so for cold starts? (I've read this is to help light off the catalytic converter faster to reduce pollution).

Didn't somebody add a 2KVI and then make an adapter to fit the 4th gen throttle body on? (BTW, is the DE-K TB larger than the DE TB?) Maybe the best solution is to just go with a nice big Pathfinder TB since some kind of modification is going to have to be done anyway.

Caracicatriz is spanish for "Scarface".
Old 03-31-2005 | 07:33 PM
Kevlo for President

You do not need the upper manifold gasket, it is rubber and reusable. Nor do you need a new 5thgen TB to IM gasket, it is rubber also. Only need them if they are not there

I have a 00TB w/ IACV if anyone wants it. PM me.

That is me with the 4th gen TB adapter

Old 04-01-2005 | 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
You do not need the upper manifold gasket, it is rubber and reusable. Nor do you need a new 5thgen TB to IM gasket, it is rubber also. Only need them if they are not there
Well those gaskets are only $3 or less anyway and I am **** and took everything apart to clean and I like to start fresh just incase.
Old 04-02-2005 | 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by SDot82
The 5th gen throttle body comes with the iacv on it already, you need the 5th gen iacv plug to or did what I did and modify the 4th gen iacv plug to go into the 5th gen iacv since I did not have one.
Sorry again for the delay. What exactly does this "plug" look like and how does it allow for the correct operation of the iacv on the 00VI with a 4th gen engine?
Am I to understand that to have a completely normal idle w/ this im swap, I'd have to pretty much use all 00 iac equipment instead of trying to ghetto rig the 00 iac system onto the 4th gen's?
How hard is it to modify the 4th gen iacv plug to fit the 5th gen iacv like you did? What did you do? Thanks again!
I really must commend you guys for making the effort to "teach" the rest of us how to pull off such a custom mod instead of leaving us to learn the hard way like you all did!! I know myself and others will greatly benefit from and appreciate all of your patience and compassion for fellow orgers. I submit that when it's my turn to take one for the team I'd gladly be there to help everyone who can benefit!
Old 04-02-2005 | 09:55 PM

p.s. Can anyone point me to the fundamentals of how an iacv/system works? I'm not having any luck searching.

Quick Reply: 00VI How To?