All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

2k2 Fuel Pump Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:14 PM
vsamoylov

2k2 Fuel Pump Installed!!!

Well today i had the time to mess aroudn with the 2k2 fuel pump assembly that i had sitting in my garage. As some of you know, i used to have the stock 96 pump hooked up to the vq35. the car ran fine and i had no problems whatsoever with it. i didnt have a fpr though so the fuel that the pump pumped went to the rails through the dampers and i also have the returnless fuel system. Well when i pulled the stock fuel pump out fro mthe 2k2 max, it is one unit. wehn i pulled the 96 pump out, the pump actually is seperate from the unit that reads how much fuel is in the tank. also the 96 pump sat in a baffle i guess you could call it inside the tank and it had 1 hose from the pump that goes to the gas level reader and 1 connector as well. well when i pulled the pump and the fule level reader, you could see that the baffle that the pump sat in would be in the way. the baffle or whatever it is called was clipped to the bottom of the tank so i removed those clips but the baffle is way bigger then the hole that the pump sits in so there was no way of removing it in 1 piece. so i broke the whole baffel into pieces while it was inside the tank and them pulled everythign out so there was nothing left inside the tank but the gas itself. then i jsut put the whole 2k2 pump assembly in and wired it and connected the fule line to the pump. when i first cranked the car, it wouldnt start because there was no fuel pressure when i relieved it but the secodn time i cranked it the car started up fine and my gas gauge went to the same level that my 96 pump read. i drove the car and it does feel different on the butt dyno. well here are some pics.

2k2 fuel pump assembly

2k2 fuel pump assembly side by side with the 96 fuel pump

2k2 fuel pump assembly installed

what is left of the baffle and the fuel pump and the fuel gauge reader

Old 07-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you planning on putting some sort of baffle/windage tray around the fuel pickup for your 02 pump? If you run your fuel level down too low and do any hard cornering, your pump will be starving for fuel.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 PM
vsamoylov

Well the weird thing is when I had the 96 pump in, I used to run into that problem. But when I looked into the 2k2 gas tank, there was no tray or anything inside of it that I could remove to put into the 96 gas tank. I drove the car today and I have somewhere like a 1/4 of a tank left of gas left and I went through some twisties and no problems with starving. If I do have problems, I will jsut make sure not to drive to a point when that might happen.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 PM

So basically you have a 5th gen maxima with a 4th gen bodyshell.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:50 PM
maxS

And i cut my hand in the process of removing that plastic thingy. But it was kinda fun... to have a chance to break something.