All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

questions about upgrade routes. input needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Only gentoo powered Maxima!

questions about upgrade routes. input needed!

Alright so I think I have done enough reading about the various performance mods that are available for my 5th gen. I am not a fan of N2O and cant see my self buying a turbo. Staying the NA route all the bolt-ons are an obvious must followed by some sort of afc. But for someone who mods his car in pieces, wouldnt getting an afc with the first bolt on let you get the most of each additional mod as they are added or would the cost of expensive dyno time not be worth it?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to go to the dyno to properly tune the AFC so it would get quite expensive if you retuned after every mod. I would say wait untill you do all your bolt ons then get the SAFC to squeeze out a few more HP. But again, you need to go to the dyno, or use a wide band to make sure your air/fuel is where you need it to be. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I like Maximas

i think dynoing each mod is great, but way too expensive, but you will know exactly how each mod affects performance.

i'd dyno once before the mods to get a baseline
then i'd dyno after installing a group of mods to know the power output
then get an afc and the rest of the mods and dyno with tuning.

you should also group mods:
those for exhaust should be done together (like headers, cat, and catback)
then those for intake, i.e. PF TB, 00VI, Injectors. (you're 5th gen so you don't need the 00vi)

then once the bolt ons are done, that's when tuning is needed
That is when you should get the AFC and dyno tune for best power.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Only gentoo powered Maxima!

thanks, im about to grab a FC intake and cattman y-pipe in a week or 2, then prob a cat-back.... but that greddy emanage is looking sweet if someone would get working, i think the fun to be had with that would be worth 500
Old 09-05-2005, 04:50 PM

Stay away from the dyno, buy a wideband with the afc and tune it yourself. My current ride has never been dynoed and its time has never been equaled by another 5.5 auto.

Besides tuning on the road or track is superior to tuning on a dyno, the load is different on a dyno and you don't race on one so why tune on one.

Save the money you would have spent on the dyno to buy performance mods.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:17 PM
I like Maximas

Jime what wideband do you use?

would an AEM UEGO be good?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:01 AM

I have an FJO which connects to my Maximizer as well as a TechEdge unit. I had to buy the FJO because the TechEdge wouldn't integrate with the Maximizer. I like both equally although I think the NTK sensor units are superior to the Bosch. They are also more expensive.

AEM does use the cheaper Bosch senson like my TechEdge unit. Just make sure you get good datalogging software a gauge is pretty much useless for tuning purposes.

Here are the url's for the 2 units I have.

http://wbo2.com/default.htm

http://www.fjoracing.com/index.php
Old 09-07-2005, 06:11 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Jime
Stay away from the dyno, buy a wideband with the afc and tune it yourself. My current ride has never been dynoed and its time has never been equaled by another 5.5 auto.

Besides tuning on the road or track is superior to tuning on a dyno, the load is different on a dyno and you don't race on one so why tune on one.

Save the money you would have spent on the dyno to buy performance mods.
You also have the worlds lightest A33B auto which disguises the fact that you've never been on the dyno. If you HAD been tuning on a dyno your car would have even more power because of what you would have learned through R&D.