All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

MEVI not opening under load

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 PM

what rpm's are your VI's set to open?

maybe that makes a difference in sound
Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by mitch33x
what rpm's are your VI's set to open?

maybe that makes a difference in sound
5200 rpms. I think I just wasn't producing enough vacuum to open the actuator enough.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Thank God you also hear the induction noise. I was starting to think MEVI's in Kansas were the only ones to make that switchover VTEC noise

I could never really hear the switchover noise in 1st because the car revved out so quickly, but in 2nd and 3rd gears it was plain as day. I loved that noise. I wish my G35 had a variable induction system, but somehow the Nissan engineers worked this wizardary on the G intake manifold and made it perform like a variable intake manifold without any moving parts.

Now that you know what to listen for, you'll definitely know if it's working or not. A 5,200rpm switchover is a good rpm too. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Thank God you also hear the induction noise. I was starting to think MEVI's in Kansas were the only ones to make that switchover VTEC noise

I could never really hear the switchover noise in 1st because the car revved out so quickly, but in 2nd and 3rd gears it was plain as day. I loved that noise. I wish my G35 had a variable induction system, but somehow the Nissan engineers worked this wizardary on the G intake manifold and made it perform like a variable intake manifold without any moving parts.

Now that you know what to listen for, you'll definitely know if it's working or not. A 5,200rpm switchover is a good rpm too. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Well thanks man. Yeh now I definately know what to listen for. I've never felt 3rd gear pull so hard as when I opened it up last night. Do you think your Max had more topend than your G?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by AsthmaMax11
Well thanks man. Yeh now I definately know what to listen for. I've never felt 3rd gear pull so hard as when I opened it up last night. Do you think your Max had more topend than your G?
I always called my 3rd gear in the Maxima my "walking gear" That meant if you were able to hang with me through 1st and 2nd, most likely you'd get walked when I hit 3rd. I lost count of how many times I walked various L98/LT1 F-Bodies, 5.0 Stangs and lots of import when I'd hit 3rd and opened up a lead on them in the last 1/8 mile. It's not like it threw you in the seat or anything, but the motor just kept pulling and pulling where most NA motors laid down. My Max, like most MEVI/JWT 5MTs, gained 22-22.5mph in the last 1/8 mile which suggest extremely strong "topend" power. Most NA cars only gain 18-20mph in the last 1/8 mile.

Did the Max have better topend than the G? I'd have to say yes. The G is stronger from 0-50mph, but after that, my timeslips suggest the Max was pulling harder from the 1/8 mile on. My G35 has seen a high 14.4 and two low 14.5s in the high 97mph range. My Maxima, in the same conditions, saw the same kind of ETs, but usually ended with 98-99mph traps. The G doesn't feel as fast as the Maxima because:

1) It's an automatic so I don't get all that dramatic lunging on shifts
2) It's quieter and a lot more refined
3) There's absolutely no drama (wheelhop or spin) on the launch

The scary thing is my G only has one engine mod and it's questionable to whether or not that mod even makes 1hp. It took my Maxima a modded stock intake, y-pipe, 2.5" B-pipe, 2K muffler, ECU, MEVI, 96 octane, and no passenger seat/spare to run a 14.31@99.5mph in 50 degree weather. It took my G a Z-pipe and no spare to run a 14.49@97.6mph in 70 degree weather. I'm eager to see what the G does with 96 octane, cooler air, and a couple mods that gain about 15whp/wtq.

BTW, you're going to get addicted to that noise The problem is you have to be going pretty dang fast (55mph+) to hear it. Don't get yourself in trouble.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AsthmaMax, how long did you have your canister for before you found out it wasn't working properly?

I bought a new one but I'm going to go through the system with a fine tooth comb to verify all my systems are working properly.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:25 AM

I always called my 3rd gear in the Maxima my "walking gear" That meant if you were able to hang with me through 1st and 2nd, most likely you'd get walked when I hit 3rd. I lost count of how many times I walked various L98/LT1 F-Bodies, 5.0 Stangs and lots of import when I'd hit 3rd and opened up a lead on them in the last 1/8 mile. It's not like it threw you in the seat or anything, but the motor just kept pulling and pulling where most NA motors laid down. My Max, like most MEVI/JWT 5MTs, gained 22-22.5mph in the last 1/8 mile which suggest extremely strong "topend" power. Most NA cars only gain 18-20mph in the last 1/8 mile.

Did the Max have better topend than the G? I'd have to say yes. The G is stronger from 0-50mph, but after that, my timeslips suggest the Max was pulling harder from the 1/8 mile on. My G35 has seen a high 14.4 and two low 14.5s in the high 97mph range. My Maxima, in the same conditions, saw the same kind of ETs, but usually ended with 98-99mph traps. The G doesn't feel as fast as the Maxima because:

1) It's an automatic so I don't get all that dramatic lunging on shifts
2) It's quieter and a lot more refined
3) There's absolutely no drama (wheelhop or spin) on the launch

The scary thing is my G only has one engine mod and it's questionable to whether or not that mod even makes 1hp. It took my Maxima a modded stock intake, y-pipe, 2.5" B-pipe, 2K muffler, ECU, MEVI, 96 octane, and no passenger seat/spare to run a 14.31@99.5mph in 50 degree weather. It took my G a Z-pipe and no spare to run a 14.49@97.6mph in 70 degree weather. I'm eager to see what the G does with 96 octane, cooler air, and a couple mods that gain about 15whp/wtq.

BTW, you're going to get addicted to that noise The problem is you have to be going pretty dang fast (55mph+) to hear it. Don't get yourself in trouble.
That is sweet. I'd say you're gonna see high 13's easy with a 15 whp/wtq increase!
Yeh I really want to walk an LT1 F-body, one of them smoked me from a dig a while back and I need some payback.
I'd agree that the MEVI doesn't throw you back in your seat, it just sustains the power you're already making.
Do you predict the aftermarket for the G35 increasing soon?
Since the G isn't giving you any traction problems would drag radials still help at all?

Originally Posted by deezo
AsthmaMax, how long did you have your canister for before you found out it wasn't working properly?

I bought a new one but I'm going to go through the system with a fine tooth comb to verify all my systems are working properly.
Jay25 gave me the original canister almost two years ago and he had used it for at least a year before that. I would say my MEVI started to have problems a few months ago. (sorry for the unclear answer)

I mean how confident are you that your MEVI is opening?
When I had my old canister I opened the MEVI at idle and it wouldn't even open all the way. I certainly never heard the "VTEC" noise!
Since I put the new one in it has been a night and day difference every time.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by AsthmaMax11
That is sweet. I'd say you're gonna see high 13's easy with a 15 whp/wtq increase!
Yeh I really want to walk an LT1 F-body, one of them smoked me from a dig a while back and I need some payback.
I'd agree that the MEVI doesn't throw you back in your seat, it just sustains the power you're already making.
Do you predict the aftermarket for the G35 increasing soon?
Since the G isn't giving you any traction problems would drag radials still help at all?
I'd love to think high 13s, but 14.0-14.2 is probably more realistic.

Walking LT1s is fun, but you never know what kind you'll get. From a dig, they are very hard to keep up with. I should know, before my Maxima I had a modded 94 Z28.

The G/Z aftermarket is always growing, but this VQ35 just doesn't make the gains that the 4th gen VQ did. It starts off with a lot more power though. My focus for the G is to get low 14s, do some cosmetic stuff, wheels, etc. Basically I want it clean, quick, and reliable. I plan on getting a Fox body Stang in the near future and that will be my fast car.

Traction problems in the G don't seem to be an issue on a decently prepped track. I ran my 23.5" tall DRs that I had from the Maxima, but they ended up killing my trap speeds because they forced a 4th gear shift 150' short of the finish line. That was far from ideal. I also don't think the ECU/ABS liked it that the rear tires were spinning a lot faster than the fronts. This week I sold my DRs to grey99max. His nitroused auto was able to take advantage of the shorter DRs and he ran a best this week......then fried a valve

BTW, how do you like Atlanta? I put in for a transfer down there and I've been talking to other couple compaines too. I was born in Atlanta and nearly all of my family lives in Roswell/Alpharetta, LaGrange, and Macon. My wife absolutely loves the South and so do I. She's really been pressuring me to get a job down there now that my son is nearly a year old.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:09 PM

BTW, how do you like Atlanta? I put in for a transfer down there and I've been talking to other couple compaines too. I was born in Atlanta and nearly all of my family lives in Roswell/Alpharetta, LaGrange, and Macon. My wife absolutely loves the South and so do I. She's really been pressuring me to get a job down there now that my son is nearly a year old.
Well Dave,
Atlanta has lots of job opportunities but the traffic is horrendous. It's a trade off for most people, they live in the suburbs and have an hour and a half commute to work everyday because it's too expensive to live in the city. The air pollution is at it's all time high as well. (I should know I have alot of breathing difficulties)
But it's alot cheaper in the South and the people are usually alot friendlier. My whole family is from the Northeast so I always kinda felt like the oddball being the first one to grow up below New York. I feel very cultured...

I live in Gwinnett County and it has some of the best schools in the country as well as activities for kids. If you have family down here and if your wife would be happier down here I say go for it! (It would be great to have another .orger down here too)

So to answer your question, I like Atlanta because it doesn't have bad winters but I would like Atlanta ALOT more if there weren't so many damn people!!

Bruce