All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Will the car run without these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:06 PM

Will the car run without these?

Installing this VI tonight, noticed when I took the upper intake manifold off that there was a black cap of some kind wedged in the head on top of the valve. I got it out, and I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

As for the problem, I don't have a EGR guide tube or an IACV adapter plate. Will the car run strong without it? I realize my idle will be screwed, but what about the EGR?

I also don't have a PCV valve- I will not have these things until Friday and was wondering if the car would run without it damaging anything. Let me know, thanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 PM

You need to a plate to cover the egr hole on the manifold and something to block were the pervious egr guide tube was. As for the IACV you can manual control the idle by adjusting the screws on the throttle body.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by chilled
I also don't have a PCV valve- I will not have these things until Friday and was wondering if the car would run without it damaging anything. Let me know, thanks!
Just mill down the part pcv valve that sticks out of the valve cover so you still have something there. Dont know if it will actually work but if you need to drive your car then don't push it act all until you get everything finished.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:23 PM

Also you could get a vaccum hose that fits tightly in the pcv hole and push it down and buy a different kind of pcv and run the hose to the intake. Thats what I have done to mines right know and ever since the swap.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM

Well, I decided to quit for the night and put the USIM back on in an attempt to get back to work. Only problems came from that, now I have a huge coolant leak and a nice miss. Im not sure if the miss is from all the throttle body cleaner (I cleaned the lower after I took it off) or if its a vacuum leak. I think its a leak, I hear one somewhere. Its just a slight miss, but very noticable because of my exhaust system. I also discovered that my starter is going out and my battery is on its last leg.

The thing that was blocking my valve hole was actually a little plastic piece. I got a picture and I will upload it tomorrow, but it looks like a little cap like the end of a pinky finger with 4 slots on the end and its black. It must have been down in there ever since I bought the car in New York and drove it home.

The original owner (Mr. Gates) never mentioned all the mods the car had at one time. It appears that not only was there a different manifold on it at one time, but also there was a boost gauge and also an a/f gauge.

Anyway, in the end- I have to work in 7 hours and the car isn't driveable. I won't drive it missing with that coolant leak. All in all, today turned out to be the biggest waste of 6 hours of my life- but at least I got that cap out of the head. No telling how much power that mother ****er was robbing me.

I guess it was a REALLY good idea not to hook up the spray. Jesus-
Old 12-07-2005, 08:58 PM

What do you mean a black cap? pics...

Also, Im running with IACV, been like that for months, running fine I guess, the idle is low w/ A/C on and stuff tho but w/e...

Get the EGR guide tube, or block off EGR and get a plate for EGR on the manifold or you will have an extreme vacuum leak and exhaust also.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:20 PM

Looks like an injector cap...or something, I actually have no clue what it is. Someone must have dropped it in there when they were taking off the MEVI they didn't sell me with the car.

Who are the guys making the block off plates/adapter plates? I got some $ for them.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:26 AM

TILLEYS99, StephenMax, maxS
Old 12-08-2005, 08:05 PM

Alright- just to update everyone.

Last night when I reassembled my intake manifold I had a bad miss and a noticable vacuum leak. I took it all apart today, which took me a 2-3 hours, and redid all of it. I found that problem #1 was that I didn't put both EGR bolts back in- misfire fixed. I had a bad coolant leak also, which I thought I had fixed. The hose that I had to cut was a special Nissan hose in the shape of a U (those who have dealt with this pain in the *** know what Im talking about). Well, I got some hose from work today, but not molded- it was slightly smaller inner diameter and kinda kinked up when I put the upper manifold back down in position. This obviously didn't hold, it did good for about 30 seconds and then ruptured around the seems from the pressure (with hose clamps also).

The hose says "Nissan" on it and is molded, but I have no clue what its called. I really don't want to go all the way to Louisville/Clarksville to the Nissan dealer for this hose that they may not have. Suggestions anyone?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by s0ber
What do you mean a black cap? pics...
Took me a while because I've been out of town, but here you go.

You have to click the link at the top of the page and download it.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:13 AM

Never seen that weird cap in my life......

Which coolant hose are you talking about? The one that goes around the manifold(USIM) by the EGR and into teh TB?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:21 AM

Its connected to the back of the upper IM and makes a downward 180 degree bend to a hardpipe that goes toward the throttle body, but Im not sure if its the coolant feed for the TB.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 AM

Yes, you can bypass that line with a hose and strong clamps, I, and others who have do the 00VI just bypass that line, remove it from the manifold, (the 00VI doesnt have that anyways) and disconnect it off the throttle body, there should be a hardline that feeds and a hardline that returns, right next to each other, if you need i'll go try to snap a pic of them in a few minutes.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:35 AM

Could you please? This small coolant leak of mine is getting annoying.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 AM

Here's 2 pics, its a ***** getting the other tube.. but w/e here u'll get the idea..

As you can see, all it is just get a peice of 3/8 hose I believe and run it looped, from one hardline to the other one, dont matter if its crimped or not, thats just so the coolant goes back in and doesnt leak out.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Good deal, I appreciate you going out of your way- helps me alot.