All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Loosing oil fast!!!! WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:50 PM

Loosing oil fast!!!! WTF!!!

Whats up everyone.. i posted this in the 4th gen forums but nobody is givin me any good advice...

Ok here it goes my car has 102k miles on it... i noticed in the last 1000 miles that all of a sudden blue smoke is coming up on start up.... i have never burned an ounce of oil till now... i lost almost half the dipstick in 2k miles.WTF

i checked compression today on a warmed up engine and it registers 185 PSI on all cylinders... which is factory standard

Now i noticed that one of the spark plugs has oil on it... not on the electrode but on the threads....

What the hell is going on here.. this is supposed to be one of the best engines... i drive the car like a normal person i VERY RARELY floor it.... Guys give me some help cuz this sucks....
Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 PM

you need to floor it more? my guess is your piston rings and or your valve seals, mabye some Auto-RX??
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

My spark plug threads always have oil on them ...

Floor it more

Half dipstick in 2k miles isn't "FAST" .. so that's an invalid thread title.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
Whats up everyone.. i posted this in the 4th gen forums but nobody is givin me any good advice...

Ok here it goes my car has 102k miles on it... i noticed in the last 1000 miles that all of a sudden blue smoke is coming up on start up.... i have never burned an ounce of oil till now... i lost almost half the dipstick in 2k miles.WTF

i checked compression today on a warmed up engine and it registers 185 PSI on all cylinders... which is factory standard

Now i noticed that one of the spark plugs has oil on it... not on the electrode but on the threads....

What the hell is going on here.. this is supposed to be one of the best engines... i drive the car like a normal person i VERY RARELY floor it.... Guys give me some help cuz this sucks....
Relax d00d. It's not that big a deal.

All you have to do is replace the rubber ring that goes on the underside of the valvecover.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by kcryan
you need to floor it more? my guess is your piston rings and or your valve seals, mabye some Auto-RX??
Why do people make suggestions without asking themselves if what they suggested is relevant to the symptoms being described?

Please explain how either worn oil rings and/or bad valve seals have ANYTHING to do with oil on the spark plugs threads...

Auto-RX????
Old 12-15-2005, 05:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by nismology
Why do people make suggestions without asking themselves if what they suggested is relevant to the symptoms being described
Because their arrogance outweighs their actual knowledge ...
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
10char
Old 12-16-2005, 05:31 AM

Smoke during startup can be due to an overly rich cold start mixture (which usually results in smoke that looks more black than blue). A common cause of blue smoke at startup is worn valve seals that allow oil to seep into the combustion chambers. This will also result in increased oil consumption. This doesn't really seem to be a common problem with VQ30s, though.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Relax d00d. It's not that big a deal.

All you have to do is replace the rubber ring that goes on the underside of the valvecover.
Thats what i have been thinking about.. this morning i checked the compression on a cold motor and all of the cylinders have perfect compression again.. but that one plug is still soaked... heres whats weired when you take the plug out on the rear cylinders (where the oily plug is) right on the top of the valve cover and the spark plug tube meet... right around the ring area there is a bunch of oil.... this is true for all the rear cylinders... is this normal or not? ill try to post a pic
Old 12-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Thats what i have been thinking about.. this morning i checked the compression on a cold motor and all of the cylinders have perfect compression again.. but that one plug is still soaked... heres whats weired when you take the plug out on the rear cylinders (where the oily plug is) right on the top of the valve cover and the spark plug tube meet... right around the ring area there is a bunch of oil.... this is true for all the rear cylinders... is this normal or not? ill try to post a pic
It's normal IF the o-rings on the valve cover are bad. Change those and i bet the issue goes away.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
FTW!!!