All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Yea right, RWD maxima...but what IF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006 | 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
The custom driveshaft is absolutely the least of your worries.

You can't just tack on any old rear suspension. The rear section of the frame is designed around the beam suspension, which depends on the lateral link in the center to guide it up and down without it shifting around. If you go with a solid rear axle and try to cusomize that lateral link, you lose a ton of ground clearance and wind up having the differential, axle, and half of the driveshaft being unsprung weight -- in other words, ALL the help your weight distribution just got is unsprung, which will KILL the car's dynamics. The only other option would be to mount the diff to the frame and set up an independent rear suspension, which means you now can't rely on the lateral link to guide suspension travel. So either you reuse the stock shock mounting points and have the most primitive suspension you've ever seen in your life (bye bye handling and stability), or you design upper and lower control arms and find some way to cram them along with the springs and shocks into spaces designed to hold nothing more than the springs and shocks.

Then you're only half done. That tunnel down the center of the car is big enough for a driveshaft or an exhaust, but not both, and there isn't another convenient place to run an exhaust. You'd HAVE to run side exhausts, and good luck trying to cram catalytic converters and a noise-legal muffler in there.

Plus you'd have to destroy the firewall and completely rebuild it to accommodate a RWD engine and transmission.
In short. Just plain not worth it. The money spent to do this honnestly could by a decent RWD car and tune it.

I did see a rwd integra before.
Old 01-21-2006 | 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I saw a twin engine awd mkII gti... Well I think I may have learned something today.
Old 01-21-2006 | 10:58 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by d00df00d
The custom driveshaft is absolutely the least of your worries.

You can't just tack on any old rear suspension. The rear section of the frame is designed around the beam suspension, which depends on the lateral link in the center to guide it up and down without it shifting around. If you go with a solid rear axle and try to cusomize that lateral link, you lose a ton of ground clearance and wind up having the differential, axle, and half of the driveshaft being unsprung weight -- in other words, ALL the help your weight distribution just got is unsprung, which will KILL the car's dynamics. The only other option would be to mount the diff to the frame and set up an independent rear suspension, which means you now can't rely on the lateral link to guide suspension travel. So either you reuse the stock shock mounting points and have the most primitive suspension you've ever seen in your life (bye bye handling and stability), or you design upper and lower control arms and find some way to cram them along with the springs and shocks into spaces designed to hold nothing more than the springs and shocks.

Then you're only half done. That tunnel down the center of the car is big enough for a driveshaft or an exhaust, but not both, and there isn't another convenient place to run an exhaust. You'd HAVE to run side exhausts, and good luck trying to cram catalytic converters and a noise-legal muffler in there.

Plus you'd have to destroy the firewall and completely rebuild it to accommodate a RWD engine and transmission.
I plan on doing exactly that to my 3rd gen parts car. Plus you forgot the PS rack and front crossmember to mount the engine on, oh and the tranny crossmember. and making sure the shifter is lined up right. Thats about it other then wiring.

This is going to be a full out race car, so probably no/minimal interior, partial cage, probably 80-90% custom firewall, and all unnessicary wiring/features will be removed. Oh and the budget is $2006. This outta be fun! Now only if the weather would get warmer (consistantly anyway) Id get started!

~Alex
Old 01-22-2006 | 06:47 AM
be the change u want2C

after you convert to rwd youll be complaining about how its not 4wd
Old 01-22-2006 | 08:25 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
after you convert to rwd youll be complaining about how its not 4wd

Ain't that the truth....
Old 01-22-2006 | 10:08 AM
Chassis Freak

RWD > All

IMO
Old 01-22-2006 | 11:15 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by Alex_V
I plan on doing exactly that to my 3rd gen parts car. Plus you forgot the PS rack and front crossmember to mount the engine on, oh and the tranny crossmember. and making sure the shifter is lined up right. Thats about it other then wiring.

This is going to be a full out race car, so probably no/minimal interior, partial cage, probably 80-90% custom firewall, and all unnessicary wiring/features will be removed. Oh and the budget is $2006. This outta be fun! Now only if the weather would get warmer (consistantly anyway) Id get started!

~Alex
You going for the GRM challenge? When does the car have to be done by?

I really don't understand what you guys plan to do with the front spindles. Without the axle to hold the bearing on, the hub will slide out of the spindle. It almost happened to me when I was towing my Maxima. I had the motor and tranny out and I was towing on a tow rope. After only two miles one of the wheel bearings was ready to come loose. From now on I trailer the chassis around.
Old 01-23-2006 | 08:38 AM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

No matter cost, time, or work...
NCSU_MAX and I will do a RWD 4G max with a 3.5.... Once John and I get the shop up and running it will become the company project car....

In due time.............
Old 01-23-2006 | 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
No matter cost, time, or work...
NCSU_MAX and I will do a RWD 4G max with a 3.5.... Once John and I get the shop up and running it will become the company project car....

In due time.............
Keep us updated on that. You would truely have a one of a kind car if it gets pulled off.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2006 | 09:55 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Funny how nobody answers my question. That is probably the most difficult part of the project to overcome. The front suspension would have to be totally ripped out, redone and all the mount points would be different. It'd be nice to use a simple McPhearson strut type suspension. The only car I can think of that might have struts are the j30. If you use a double A-arm suspension its gonna be a helluvalot harder. The 240 uses a strut type suspension but the wheel base is definitely not as wide as it would need to be for the Maxima. Meaning the crossmember would also have to be reworked. Pretty much, it requires some very serious engineering. That is certainly not required.

If you really love the VQ then find a suitable platform that is already RWD. If you love the Maxima but hate FWD then you should come to the realization, as I did, that its not possible to overcome without some very serious know-how. If you guys are asking these simple questions then there is no way you know how to engineer the pickup points for a totally one off suspension; I don't either and I don't claim to. I'd love to get to that point at some time but right now I accept that I only have the skills, knowledge and tooling required to modify the OE chassis.

Finally, when all is said and done, the things that you loved about the Maxima(or at least the things I loved), the leather, sunroof, 5 seats, nice stereo, good modern looks for a 10 year old car, auto climate control, will all be worthless because those things probably won't be there any more.
Old 01-23-2006 | 10:48 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

less than a year ago someone posted a pic of late 90's -early 00's Grand Prix (sand color) at a drag strip - it was a rwd conversion with a V-8 (dont remember if it was a small block or a big block). i think the conversion involved a tube chassis. someone needs to find that post with the pic.

Originally Posted by MDeezy
In short. Just plain not worth it. The money spent to do this honnestly could by a decent RWD car and tune it.

I did see a rwd integra before.
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:28 AM

That car races at my track. It's got a built 455 in it and runs low 10's at 135 mph. The full conversion cost somewhere in the 40k range. Crazy.
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:30 AM
SomePsychoGuy

IMO there are two somewhat reasonable choices:

1) Buy a RWD car and swap a VQ in it. This is what I would do, because as much as I love the Maxima platform, despite its disfunctions, I am more loyal to the VQ engine than anything else. I just wish there were more options on light cheap RWD (Nissan preferably) cars out there. I would also need time and money to do it.

2) get a custom or imported AWD transmission that will fit the VQ and run a driveshaft back through the exhaust path. That would be MUCH easier to deal with than having to start from scratch in the front and try and mount the VQ longitudinally. If you can do it then more praise to you. You would have to deal with the fuel tank and rear suspension and expand the exhaust routing which you have to do all of this anyway, but the front end could almost go unchanged. The weight balance would not be great, but if you want that then go with option #1 and get it relatively easily. Longitudinally FR in a Maxima is no where near practical in a Maxima or most FWD cars. If you try to fit the engine in the rear that might work, but once again there are better, light, and easier cars to do that in.
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:33 AM

I agree. The murano's VQ35 is transverse mounted and it is AWD. Plus, you can get the weight of a 4th gen down to 2700 or so pretty easily. I doubt the conversion would add more than 150-200 lbs to the car. 2850-2900 in the end that would still be a good 200-300 less than an STI.

If someone was to undertake a conversion project, AWD would be the way to go IMO.
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:39 AM
SomePsychoGuy

The Murano is CVT which would be difficult to manipulate without full ECU conversion to say the Least, but it is a step in the right direction. A Bluebird SSS ATTESA or GTi-R transmission would be better and you would just have to convert the bellhousing.

An effective rear suspension would make or break the project though, which would take considerable time, money, and custom parts.
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:40 AM
Custom User Title

Just watch Monster Garage. They make RWD/AWD conversions seem like a joke.

Who knows, maybe the car in my sig will be RWD someday
Old 01-23-2006 | 01:06 PM
brotherhood of tq

i dont see why if you can build a rwd max y not use a serious n/a motor
Old 01-23-2006 | 01:38 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
If I went through the process of converting the car to RWD, I would choose an engine that would make the whole project worthwhile.

I'm thinking something along the lines of an LS-6/7
Old 01-23-2006 | 01:49 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
The only problem would be finding one that's as compact as the VQ. Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK that'd be a tall order...
Old 01-23-2006 | 02:27 PM
Go Get a Life!

This is what I'm thinking of doing in the future. I can get this car from help from a guy I know who ships freight too and from The Bahamas.

Swap all sheet metal hood doors Front and Rear bumpers headlights and rear headlight's trunk and custom fit the 3.5 inside. A maxima AWD or RWD I like AWD better now that's something. But the only thing that would give it away of course is it's right hand drive. I honestly think this car is the best to try with because I looked at the cefiro's and the only chassis that came with RWD were the A31 the dimensions on that car is way off from say a 88-93 maybe the 3rdgen guys could try this.
The only thing I see wrong with the bluebird is that getting the exterior to look like a 4thgen would be a challenge in it's own. It seems that the bluebird is more like the Infiniti G20 size but a little longer taller and wider. The hard part of this would have to be cosmetics which should be allot easier than making your own RWD chassis. You know what forget about swaping the VQ35DE the SR20DET or maybe RB26DETT would be way eaisier and bad azz.

1998 Nissan Bluebird 2.0SSS Attesa S 4WD

Length:179.7" vs. 4thgen: 187.7"
Width: 66.7" vs. 4thgen: 69.7"
Hieght: 55.9" vs. 4thgen: 55.7"
WheelBase: 102.3" vs. 4thgen 106.3"

Old 01-23-2006 | 02:44 PM
Go Get a Life!

The Altima guys can go for the 1993 Nissan Bluebird SSS ATTESSA AWD You won't have to do a damn thing but swap emblems. and ofcourse the SR20DET..

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:32 PM
Go Get a Life!

Wait does anyone know if the chassis layout for the 96 USD Alti's have the driveshaft housing underneath as the JDM version? Just like the Ford focus they have it already underneath where you can make it AWD or RWD very easy. I would deff consider buying a focus and doing this...

Old 01-29-2006 | 08:11 PM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

That's what my friend Nick and I are planning out right now.
He's got a 98 240 body with no drivetrain in his garage and been trying to decide what power plant to put in it, and I finally convinced him this week :-D
Tentative plans are a "built" VQ30 with somewhere around 10 lbs of boost and enough suspension work to take an exige to town....

[QUOTE=SPiG]IMO there are two somewhat reasonable choices:

1) Buy a RWD car and swap a VQ in it. This is what I would do, because as much as I love the Maxima platform, despite its disfunctions, I am more loyal to the VQ engine than anything else. I just wish there were more options on light cheap RWD (Nissan preferably) cars out there. I would also need time and money to do it.