All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VQ35 - Which year was best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:24 PM

VQ35 - Which year was best?

I have not kept up with the year-to-year development of the 3.5L engine. I am planning a VQ35 swap later this year, but rather than logically assume that "the later the model year, the better," I wanted to ask if that assumption has proven to be true.

If the 2004 engines are as good as the 2006 ones, then that is good news since the earlier the model year, the less they will cost. However, if you feel that it is really worth it to buy a 2006, or a 2005, over a 2004 engine, then I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Dr RJP
Old 05-20-2006, 06:28 PM

don't think there's any change within the engine throughout the 6th gen's lineup. IMo just go with the lowest milage engine you can get your hands on.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:32 PM

I'd agree with the above. I'd still pick the highest HP one you can find though. ie. 04 Maxima vs 02 Altima or something.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well thats all in the intake and stuff and exhaust isnt it? Like an 02 altima vq35, well its the same all around lol but say the 02 engine you put it in with an aftermarket exhaust and the intake from a maxima or something, should be around 265 instead of 240 right?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Well thats all in the intake and stuff and exhaust isnt it? Like an 02 altima vq35, well its the same all around lol but say the 02 engine you put it in with an aftermarket exhaust and the intake from a maxima or something, should be around 265 instead of 240 right?
yea and if you get a cool bumper stick they usually add about 5hp a piece..... j/p out of curiousity what are you planning on putting this engine in..... fitment usually determines aftermarket parts..... most aftermarket parts are designed for specific cars.... meaning a 3.5L Atima's aftermarket parts might not fit a 3.5L Maxima......
Old 05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Newbie just Registered

Next gen VQ35, on the '07 Altima will be the most efficient yet. But up to now, according to Technosquare, main different is in the ECU.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:09 AM

why not a vq35 from a 350z or g35?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
out of curiousity what are you planning on putting this engine in.....
In his I30 for 3.5 swap. 3.5 and 3.0 are basically the same and everything will bolt up fine

Originally Posted by mynameispee
why not a vq35 from a 350z or g35?
Its all the same VQ
Old 05-21-2006, 10:11 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by rsly33
In his I30 for 3.5 swap. 3.5 and 3.0 are basically the same and everything will bolt up fine

Its all the same VQ
I think I would take the 350z as thats the one that had 298Hp or the track edition if you could find it, it had 300hp. I'm sure they have minor things done with the intake, plenum and exhaust headers to get the most out of em but y not just start with the most powerful engine from the get go.

Kamski
Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 AM

I'd imagine a swap would be more difficualt with a RWD version of the VQ.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:14 PM

it wouldn't matter which one there is no power difference. its all with the program in the ecu. you wouldn't be able to put a rwd motor in though because of the different block and intake manifold.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:23 PM

I think you may need the matching ECU and wiring of the VQ engine you buy (VDC, Auto vs MT, etc). Low mileage 04 engine probably the cheapest solution.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:04 PM

I believe there is more to the power differences than ECU mapping.

Nissan has indicated the 300 hp versions have revised cam profiles.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
I think you may need the matching ECU and wiring of the VQ engine you buy (VDC, Auto vs MT, etc). Low mileage 04 engine probably the cheapest solution.
Someone suggested removing the wiring, sensors, and ECU from the VQ30 and trasferring them to the VQ35.

However, if I were to buy both the VQ35 and its matching transmission, seems like I should use whatever comes with the VQ35.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Someone suggested removing the wiring, sensors, and ECU from the VQ30 and trasferring them to the VQ35.

However, if I were to buy both the VQ35 and its matching transmission, seems like I should use whatever comes with the VQ35.

Thoughts?
It's not that simple. Read the sticky.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I like Maximas

you can't use the entire vq35 from the G35 or the 350z

the motor mounts are located in different locations, and the RWD block does not have the holes to bolt on the FWD mounts

you can still use the 350z IM on a fwd vq35 like nismo3112 or Vsamoylov did (but you need to hack the hood or the IM for proper fitment)

use the 350/g35 rev-up cams, aftermarket headers, and polyurethane mounts (put the power better to the ground, rocket start, no wheelhop) and tune it with a wideband. should be what you are looking for.

if you do use the vq35 ECU, you must then deal with the entire 3.5L wiring harness, and the BS NVIS system along with the chipped key that all 99+ maximas have. and you will have full use of the VTC and 3.5l equipment etc, no need to drill cams, get spacers and you use all 3.5L sensors and maf. this setup "should" have better ecu tunability from TS
(this is like vsamoylov's setup with a vq35 ECU)

or go the route more travelled and get cams drilled, spacers vq30 timing chain sprockets, and reuse the vq30 harness and all vq30 sensors and ECU. you will have less tunability (only 95-96 ecus can be re-mapped by TS)
get good wideband tuning and you'll be making good power.
(this is like what nismo3112 did with 350z im and vq30 ECU)

either way you go a vq35 will make good power if swapped and tuned right.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
It's not that simple. Read the sticky.

OK, I read every post on that thread, and came away more persuaded NOT to do the swap than the opposite.

That is, unless I can find someone within a 250 radius of my location who can do the whole thing for me like Tilley.

Seems like SC'ing the engine is an easier route to more HP than this.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:39 AM

I dont know if super charging will be easier, it probably wont be as reliable, and will definately cost more money.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 AM

OK, I read every post on that thread, and came away more persuaded NOT to do the swap than the opposite.

That is, unless I can find someone within a 250 radius of my location who can do the whole thing for me like Tilley.

Seems like SC'ing the engine is an easier route to more HP than this.
I could do the swap for you buttt yea, im in south fla. Do like i did and keep reading it info over and over again til it makes sense. Feel free to ask questions via PM if you want.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 AM

on altimas, they changed the compression a bit from 02 to 03+ (thats what its stated on some sites). so yeah, not all years are the same.altimas 04.5+ have widebands and share the same ecu pinout as 03 g35
Old 05-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I like Maximas

i don't know if you noticed it but there are quite a few vq35 maximas around the .org

you could always ask around for local help from somebody who already did the swap or is getting ready for one. this swap isn't all that crazy, you just need have self-confidence and the "cohones" to rip into the motor. and most importantly a place to do the swap and the time/parts/money necessary

if i had the place, and parts, i'd already have one in my 99. so instead i built up my vq30
Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
I could do the swap for you buttt yea, im in south fla. Do like i did and keep reading it info over and over again til it makes sense. Feel free to ask questions via PM if you want.

Thanks for the info!

My sister lives in Miami, so I'm used to doing the drive from Jacksonville. It takes about 6 1/2 hours to get to Kendall where she lives.

I could drive on down to your shop to have you do it, if you really would be willing to do the swap. Do to a previous car accident, I really cannot do any physical labor beyond using a socket wrench or screwdriver, so I am literally at the mercy of mechanics. Fortunately, I found a good one here in Jax.

I'll PM you with what I have in mind, and you can give me an idea of how much it might cost.

It was the fact that so many have done the swap is what got me interested in the first place.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:43 PM

well me personally it was hell doing it.but it was worth it. being the first in MY state to do so.<this kept me motivated.but basically if anyone tells its not gonna be as reliable is lying(considering the swap was done right).jus my worthless 2cents
Old 05-22-2006, 06:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Space after period > *

Back on topic...

All years and versions of VQ35's havetheir good points.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:21 PM

in all the post ive read, i still havent been able to figure out if i need to rewire the harness or change out any plugs or anything of that sort yet. im a honda guy and i know if i stuff a h22(prelude motor) into an accord or a civic, i need to alter the wiring harness and some plugs. provided that i go with a vq35 and use my 3.0 harness and ecu, will i need to do anything to the harness? or will the harness just plug in directly as is to the 3.5?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:22 AM

oh yeah 2002 -03 vq35's have no egr 04 above do i believe.all this is in the vq35 swap stickies
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 AM

OK I am going to throw this thread onto a tangent ... forgive me.

Just from reading a lot of swap threads, I have never heard of people throwing the 6th gen MAXIMA engines (VQ35) into the 4th gen because it has different harnesses, sensors, intake manifolds, ... I can go forever. The 5th gen engine electronics, I am guessing, has more compatibility and more closely resembles the VQ30. The 3.5 FAQ explains which cars you can pull the engines out of, but unfortunately doesn't specify which years. If I had to choose, I would take from the 02-03 Maxima or the Altima (Not the 04+ Maximas). Note that I am not the engine expert by any means and this knowledge comes from me reciting information that I have not recently researched, but I am pretty sure it is correct.

Moral of the story ... don't swap to the 04+ Maxima engines.

Now to jack the thread ... Does anyone ever get scared of the oil consumption problems that the 5.5 gen owners report. The horror stories right now have me convinced to do the DEK swap instead. If someone can prove they fixed it or that it is overrated then I will go back to wanting a 3.5 swap.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:32 AM

what will be the difference if get an engine from a 2005 altima (which have egr) and use a regular 02 ecu? do you NEED to run the same year ecu?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:37 AM

Since this is a 3.5 swap thread, I am guessing that you are a 4th gen.

3.5 Swap FAQ

If you scroll down on this sticky then you will get to read a HORROR story about using the 5th gen ECU. I really do not recommend it. You do not need to run the same year ECU, but you REALLY should consider the consequences of not using your current 4th gen ECU.

If you are worried about tuning/loss of HP due to poor maps, then you should invest in EManage-Ultimate. It has to be the easiest AND cheapest route to recover from the bad 4th gen ECU.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:44 AM

DIYMAXKID is correct. 04+ has external EGR versus the exhaust CAMS doing it internally for the 02-03 Maxima engines. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of information out there about people swapping 6th gen engines in.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:49 AM

What about the high output 3.0L?

I was wondering if anyone with a 4th Gen swapped their stock 190HP motor with the 222HP motor?

Is it even worth considering, given the similarities between the two?

Or, is the gain in HP not worth the effort?

What about SC'ing my present 3.0L instead of a 3.5L swap?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the SC route versus the 3.5L swap? (Is there a stick on this subject?)
Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by scrhale
If you are worried about tuning/loss of HP due to poor maps, then you should invest in EManage-Ultimate. It has to be the easiest AND cheapest route to recover from the bad 4th gen ECU.
I'm just curious.....what's so bad about the 4th gen ECU? And poor maps? Where are you getting this stuff from?

Old 05-23-2006, 07:55 AM
I like Maximas

I think scrhale is talking about the 5th gen ecu running more timing advance vs the 4th gen ECU (from 96sleeper's Adv. Timing threads)

I do agree on the EU comment, it is a nice way to control engine fuel management, but it's not for everybody, only the people who can be able to tune with it. i.e. it's not a plug and play and set to automatic deal. there is a certain knowledge involved in tuning the EU.

I think running 4th gen ecu with a EU is adequate for a VQ35 in a 4th gen.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by vipervadim
I think scrhale is talking about the 5th gen ecu running more timing advance vs the 4th gen ECU (from 96sleeper's Adv. Timing threads)
It does? Taken from his most recent timing thread:
[/QUOTE]
I do agree on the EU comment, it is a nice way to control engine fuel management, but it's not for everybody, only the people who can be able to tune with it. i.e. it's not a plug and play and set to automatic deal. there is a certain knowledge involved in tuning the EU.
I agree that the EU is the best tuning option we have right now. But my point was that the 4th gen ECU didn't have "bad maps" like he's saying.
I think running 4th gen ecu with a EU is adequate for a VQ35 in a 4th gen.
Agreed.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:41 AM
I like Maximas

It was this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=468488

I totally agree with you on the 4th gen ECU. It doesn't have a "bad map"
It does have less timing advance in the midrange. (it's designed for a stock USIM maxima to be good with MPG)

however if we can get timing like on that 350Z AND tune that A/F I think the midrange-topend would benefit more, esp. to all those running headers and VI, and of course all the 4th gen VQ35s
Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 AM

I totally agree with you on the 4th gen ECU. It doesn't have a "bad map"
It does have less timing advance in the midrange. (it's designed for a stock USIM maxima to be good with MPG)
Timing advance at WOT has nothing to do with getting good mpg. It is all about keeping combustion pressures in check to prevent detonation.

You really need to work your timing to follow the VE of your engine. The huge dip in the stock 4g timing in the midrange corresponds to a rapid increase in VE for the VQ30.

From what I have seen, VE is relatively low in the lower to midrange rpms on the stock VQ35. This allows you to run more timing than the 4g without problems.

You have to be be careful in the higher rpms though if you have cams and a modified IM. You will not be able to run as much advance as someone with stock components.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
I like Maximas

eng92 thanks for shining some light on this,

do you know how the 00vi behaves?

how can you measure the VE?
(with my 00vi and port-matched PF tb, and minor p&p)

would the amount of air entering the IM or the speed of air entering matter in VE?
what about headers, (less restrictive pathway) would it affect VE of the engine? or is it only IM, heads, cams valve lift and duration?

This is an interesting subject I haven't seen much discussion on
I'm TOTALLY SORRY for hijacking this thread
Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 AM

eng92 thanks for shining some light on this,

do you know how the 00vi behaves?

how can you measure the VE?
(with my 00vi and port-matched PF tb, and minor p&p)

would the amount of air entering the IM or the speed of air entering matter in VE?
what about headers, (less restrictive pathway) would it affect VE of the engine? or is it only IM, heads, cams valve lift and duration?

This is an interesting subject I haven't seen much discussion on
I'm TOTALLY SORRY for hijacking this thread
We are looking at the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) of the entire system. From air filter to exhaust tip. Everything that influences air flow has an effect to some degree.

VE = actual inlet volume air flow / (volume air flow based on 100% cylinder filling)

To measure VE with high accuracy, you really need an engine sitting on a testbench drawing its air through an accurately calibrated flow meter.

You can get a rough estimate of VE using an OBD-II scanner and a spreadsheet. You have to convert the mass air flow data to volume air flow using your inlet air density (from temp, RH and in-Hg). The 100% cylinder filling value is just (displacement x rpm/2)

Of course all your units must match to make it non-dimensional.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:07 PM

I was wondering if anyone with a 4th Gen swapped their stock 190HP motor with the 222HP motor?

Is it even worth considering, given the similarities between the two?

Or, is the gain in HP not worth the effort?

What about SC'ing my present 3.0L instead of a 3.5L swap?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the SC route versus the 3.5L swap? (Is there a stick on this subject?)
The "high output 3.0" is the VQ30DEK which is found in the 2000-2001 Maximas. Many people do use this option because it is a direct swap and provides 00VI without the hassle of drilling, brackets, etc etc.

It is DEFINITELY worth considering. First of all, the DEK is a bullet-proof engine and can take a lot of abuse. To bring my question into yours (as stated in my previous post), does anyone ever consider the oil consumption problems that the VQ35DE has? I have read horror stories and want to know if this represents a significant portion of 3.5's or just a select few AND if there is any solution to the problem.

It is commonly agreed that Supercharging your current engine is more of a hassle, more expensive, and less reliable. It is your money and your decision. Some people perfer Forced induction versus all motor.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:15 PM

Another question. It is confirmed that the 02-03 Maximas have the exhaust CAMS handling the EGR. I did a quick search on EGR and unforunately can't find the thread, but I remember reading that if you didn't have VTC (5th gen ECU) then the EGR may not function 100% and therefore you would fail. Can someone confirm this?

Quick Reply: VQ35 - Which year was best?