All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI Adapter Diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by speed racer
Good luck. I just know that I went down the same route with try to get a 90degree PCV and it was getting hit by the bottom of the manifold and you can hear hissing.
shoot, that sucks. anybody else find a 90 degree pcv that works w/ the 4th gen valve cover? i would PREFER not to modify mine, so please do share if you have a pcv setup that works and include the part# and where you purchased it from. thanks.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Bacon Lover

I'm going to see if I can modify the one I bought (cut some length out of it at the top and seal it up with JB weld or something). It's a 90 degree one, and if I manage to take some length out of it I'm hoping it'll fit. Right now it's the same height as the stock one (the 4th and 5th gen, since both are relatively the same) but has the 90 degree bend at the very top. I just hope the actual valve is located lower in the thing (it appears to be) so I can chop some length off.

The one I got was just some random Purolator one that appeared to be the right size to fit the hole.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I'm going to see if I can modify the one I bought (cut some length out of it at the top and seal it up with JB weld or something). It's a 90 degree one, and if I manage to take some length out of it I'm hoping it'll fit. Right now it's the same height as the stock one (the 4th and 5th gen, since both are relatively the same) but has the 90 degree bend at the very top. I just hope the actual valve is located lower in the thing (it appears to be) so I can chop some length off.

The one I got was just some random Purolator one that appeared to be the right size to fit the hole.
so how exactly do you secure the pcv tube fitting thing (that you bought) to the valve cover. i dont see why you cant just cut off some length before the bend. unless it screws in or something? and theres threads you dont want to cut off...
Old 07-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by chillin014
so how exactly do you secure the pcv tube fitting thing (that you bought) to the valve cover. i dont see why you cant just cut off some length before the bend. unless it screws in or something? and theres threads you dont want to cut off...
It will simply sit in the valve cover like any other one would. There's the fat part at the bottom that sits in the valve cover, the big "ring" that keeps it from going in any farther, the tube sticking out the top from the ring (but capped at the top, no opening), and then another tube sticking off perpendicular to the other tube (90 degrees). I'm talking about cutting off some length from the tube that sticks straight up out of the ring, between the ring and where the other tube sticks out horizontally.

Look at my terrible drawing below. I'm talking about cutting out some length where the arrow is pointing.

||==
|| <----
---
||
Old 07-22-2006, 08:08 AM

It will simply sit in the valve cover like any other one would. There's the fat part at the bottom that sits in the valve cover, the big "ring" that keeps it from going in any farther, the tube sticking out the top from the ring (but capped at the top, no opening), and then another tube sticking off perpendicular to the other tube (90 degrees). I'm talking about cutting off some length from the tube that sticks straight up out of the ring, between the ring and where the other tube sticks out horizontally.

Look at my terrible drawing below. I'm talking about cutting out some length where the arrow is pointing.

||==
|| <----
---
||
Yeah I think we are on the same page. Need to go buy one and check it out.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Bacon Lover

Yeah I think we are on the same page. Need to go buy one and check it out.
Well I just decided to bust out the dremel and try my luck. The results are good

Sorry for the crappy pic, and I forgot to do a before shot, so I pieced everything back together to do the comparison. What you see on the left is the height it normally is, and on the right is after I hacked out all the length inbetween.

There's the outside tube that you see, and then an internal tube as well (not really sure why). Hacking it the way I did, I kept the 90 degree bend section as well as the very top of the internal tube. I then hacked it almost right at the base. What I plan to do is put the top of the internal tube right onto the base and then put that 90 degree bend section over top of it. Need to go buy some more JB weld
Old 07-22-2006, 08:32 AM

Well I just decided to bust out the dremel and try my luck. The results are good

Sorry for the crappy pic, and I forgot to do a before shot, so I pieced everything back together to do the comparison. What you see on the left is the height it normally is, and on the right is after I hacked out all the length inbetween.

There's the outside tube that you see, and then an internal tube as well (not really sure why). Hacking it the way I did, I kept the 90 degree bend section as well as the very top of the internal tube. I then hacked it almost right at the base. What I plan to do is put the top of the internal tube right onto the base and then put that 90 degree bend section over top of it. Need to go buy some more JB weld
ohhhh for some reason i thought it was metal. so you are jb welding it back together now?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Bacon Lover

ohhhh for some reason i thought it was metal. so you are jb welding it back together now?
Yup. Just have to JB weld the inner tube back on, wait for it to dry, and then JB weld the bend section back on. If this doesn't fit under the manifold, nothing will.

speed racer, how tall was the PCV you used that wasn't able to fit? Taller or shorter than my modified one?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:30 PM

I chose to bypass the whole "hack the rear valve cover" thing and bought an 00 rear valve cover for $20. Bought the rear coils for $50, that way I don't have to mess with that much more work. Anyway, here's what I have put together so far on the IACV plate:

I have the template made and a sheet of 1/2" 6061 aluminum plate. I'm planning on getting a quote to have the pieces laser cut, then all I have to do is tap the holes, and cut the recessed area. I'll have a cost put together very soon.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by toddemullins
I chose to bypass the whole "hack the rear valve cover" thing and bought an 00 rear valve cover for $20. Bought the rear coils for $50, that way I don't have to mess with that much more work. Anyway, here's what I have put together so far on the IACV plate:

I have the template made and a sheet of 1/2" 6061 aluminum plate. I'm planning on getting a quote to have the pieces laser cut, then all I have to do is tap the holes, and cut the recessed area. I'll have a cost put together very soon.
i don't want to hack my rear valve cover either, but if there was a pcv valve out there w/ a 90 degree bend that fits, i'm just going to buy that. pcv valves are relatively cheap anyway.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by aznsap
i don't want to hack my rear valve cover either, but if there was a pcv valve out there w/ a 90 degree bend that fits, i'm just going to buy that. pcv valves are relatively cheap anyway.
Hence why I simply bought one and hacked it up. Don't know if it'll work yet, obviously, but like you said, they're so cheap it doesn't even really matter.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:50 AM

If you have a set of calipers, it's easy to measure the inside diameter of the valve cover opening, and then go to the auto parts store and find one. You may have to ask the guys at the store to depart from their usual "what year, make and model is it for" and ask them if you can look through their inventory and hand pick one that works.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:53 AM

If you have a set of calipers, it's easy to measure the inside diameter of the valve cover opening, and then go to the auto parts store and find one. You may have to ask the guys at the store to depart from their usual "what year, make and model is it for" and ask them if you can look through their inventory and hand pick one that works.

good call toddemullins. i was just thinking of bringing the pcv valve in and matching the diameter to another one that had a 90degree bend and also a height that's less than our oem one.

also, do you by chance have an approximate date when you'll be able to make these adapter plates?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Bacon Lover

and also a height that's less than our oem one.
Good luck with that one. My friend works at Advance Auto and he let me browse through their entire stock of PCV valves and I wasn't able to find one shorter with a 90 degree bend. It's why I ended up buying the one I did and modifying it. Not trying to get your hopes down, I hope you do find one, just saying.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:36 PM

oh, that sucks. we could fine a tube w/ a 90degree bend that fits in the hole snugly and connect that to the pcv valve.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Bacon Lover

oh, that sucks. we could fine a tube w/ a 90degree bend that fits in the hole snugly and connect that to the pcv valve.
Personally, I'd prefer to just stick with the stock valve-in-hole setup, but if you can get something else to work reliably, go for it.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:46 PM

I don't have a date on the adapter plates, I'm still working out the details on the trial one. I have to go back to my metal supplier and get some more material. Plus, I need to buy a special bit to cut the recess. I hate to give an approximate date and not come through.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Bacon Lover

I hate to give an approximate date and not come through.
Good business sense Something a lot of people on here don't have or can't understand.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 AM

Well, my dad owns a small structural steel company and I'm trying to get a custom fabrication division off the ground as a side job (in addition to my 45 hour a week desk job). Reputation is everything in business.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 AM

Well, my dad owns a small structural steel company and I'm trying to get a custom fabrication division off the ground as a side job (in addition to my 45 hour a week desk job). Reputation is everything in business.
damnnnn 45 hours.
well whenever anybody gets these plates goin, let me know please cause without it i cant install my 00vi which should be here today btw.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I like Maximas

best of luck on the 90 degree bend guys, as far as i know, (and i've done 8 00vi installs/fixes) it is impossible to reuse the 4th gen rear valve cover without any modifications and have NO vacuum leaks. You will have a leak, has to do with how the manifold sits.

and if you are really smart, you'd avoid the whole route of using/making an adapter plate for 4th gen iacv, (btw: with the plate you'll still have a cold start issue in the winter/cold mornings)

don't cut corners because you're cheap, a half-a$$ install will feel half-a$$ed when driving. sometimes you gotta pay to play.

best of luck!

btw: i have 3 modified 4th gen rear valve covers for 00vi's. pm me if you're interested.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by vipervadim
btw: i have 3 modified 4th gen rear valve covers for 00vi's. pm me if you're interested.
Just curious how much you'd be asking.

If I get a PCV valve that fits without being "squished" then how else could I possibly have a leak?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:25 AM

I'm assuming the cold start issue would be caused from the base of the valve being relocated outside the UIM and out of direct airflow. Am I on the right track here?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Bacon Lover

I'm assuming the cold start issue would be caused from the base of the valve being relocated outside the UIM and out of direct airflow. Am I on the right track here?
Either way, I'm still keeping my IACV. Getting rid of it is just asking for even more complications.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 PM

Either way, I'm still keeping my IACV. Getting rid of it is just asking for even more complications.
i never even heard of people having idle problems with the 4th gen iacv. or..starting problems.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Bacon Lover

i never even heard of people having idle problems with the 4th gen iacv. or..starting problems.
I have, but they all seem to be minor and more or less nothing but little annoyances, not real "problems."

Oh, and my upper manifold showed up today, so I'm excited
Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
I like Maximas

when you install the upper manifold on the 4th gen rear valve cover, you'll know exactly what's in the way, just take a look at the pics in speed racer's thread.

why would you use the 4th gen iacv, when the 5th gen works better?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Bacon Lover

when you install the upper manifold on the 4th gen rear valve cover, you'll know exactly what's in the way, just take a look at the pics in speed racer's thread.

why would you use the 4th gen iacv, when the 5th gen works better?
Because I didn't feel like paying the outrageous prices being charged for a 5th gen TB and IACV.

EDIT: I did some searching, and don't see anywhere in any of his threads some pics showing this
Old 07-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Bacon Lover

Also, if anyone has pictures of how they have all the vaccuum hoses routed, where things are hooked up, which nipples need modified/removed/added-to, etc. that would be awesome. I've already done searches and they aren't of much help
Old 07-26-2006, 05:41 PM

dude i just got my 00vi and the throttle body came on it...and a bunch of other **** too
Old 07-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Bacon Lover

dude i just got my 00vi and the throttle body came on it...and a bunch of other **** too
Wish I was that lucky Mine was stripped as bare as it possibly could be with the exception of 1 cut hose and the VIAS.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Wish I was that lucky Mine was stripped as bare as it possibly could be with the exception of 1 cut hose and the VIAS.
i dont even know what half the **** is. i'll probably end up using the 4th gen one still thugh, i mean i want to keep it simple.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:47 PM

i dont even know what half the **** is. i'll probably end up using the 4th gen one still thugh, i mean i want to keep it simple.
want to sell your TB/IACV to me?

can you post a price of what you're looking to get?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:51 PM

want to sell your TB/IACV to me?

can you post a price of what you're looking to get?
I might! But let me make sure I don't need it at all, like it won't make the install easier. (I don't think it will)
Old 07-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Bacon Lover

I might! But let me make sure I don't need it at all, like it won't make the install easier. (I don't think it will)
Easier is a subjective term here. For example, it won't require adapter plates, but it creates it's own problems as well.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 PM

well damn...im thinkin its not worth keeping.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Bacon Lover

well damn...im thinkin its not worth keeping.
Your choice. I've discovered that no matter what, nothing is easy with this swap
Old 07-27-2006, 05:40 AM

I got lucky too and my 00VI had the throttle body attached. My donor motor had 23k miles on it too. I'm debating on which one to use as well. Of course you don't have to make the adapter plate, but I'm not really sure what problems could be created with using the 00TB. From what I understand, you have to extend the wires for the TPS, loop the coolant line, and some other minor stuff, but what else could there be?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:30 AM

I think you still need an adaptor plate for the iacv.
Anyone know anything else? Is it worth keeping?
I think I got the fuel rail with it too. I can't tell wht I'm lookin at with half this junk.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:33 AM

Yeah, but that's easy to make. Send me a pic to temullins@wowway.com and I'll tell you what you have.

Quick Reply: 00VI Adapter Diagrams