All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Swapping in a 3.5 in 1 week...have several questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006 | 07:39 PM
csb

Swapping in a 3.5 in 1 week...have several questions!

Well...the time has finally come...got a great deal ($750.00!) on a 3.5 w/ only 1K miles! What I really need now is any information I can access regarding which parts/accessories I'll need to purchase with the new engine (aside from P/S pump, alternator, A/C compressor, starter), which parts I'll carry over from my VQ30DE ('97 Max SE w/ 5spd) and which ones I'll need to purchase (and where, if possible). I've got roughly 1 week b4 the work begins and I'd like to be as prepared as possible to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Any links you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, very much, in advance.
Old 07-17-2006 | 07:49 PM

If you want to do it in one week you'll want to prep that 3.5 as much as you can. If you are able to get your hands on 3.0 timing casses and timing equipment, that will save you a lot of time.

Easily put check the sticky at the top of the tread and make sure you prepaired to tackle it. Get your clutch ordered. find out prices for as much as you can.

edit: if you want to do the swap and get it done right and properly, I wouldnt affix and time requirement to it, it might cause you to rush and hurry when you should take your time. having a spare ride, or someone to help get you around helps a lot.
Old 07-17-2006 | 08:12 PM
csb

Just found the 3.5 swap sticky. Holy ****...looks like a lot of work! Wonder if it's really worth it...seems like the power gain is, gulp, a little meager.
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:12 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by csb
Just found the 3.5 swap sticky. Holy ****...looks like a lot of work! Wonder if it's really worth it...seems like the power gain is, gulp, a little meager.
it took me and vipervadim 4 days. the power gain is meager considering untuned I can give a sc'ed maxima a good run for its money.
Old 07-18-2006 | 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by csb
its only as "meager" as you let it. get some headers, get it tuned, advanec the timing, there is much than can be done to squeeze out a lot of power.

It a good gain over a stock 5speed with a y pipe, and exhaust.
Old 07-18-2006 | 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MDeezy
its only as "meager" as you let it. get some headers, get it tuned, advanec the timing, there is much than can be done to squeeze out a lot of power.

It a good gain over a stock 5speed with a y pipe, and exhaust.
You shouldn't have humored him. The power gain isn't meager even if you just drop in the motor with nothing else.

He needs to do more research.
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:36 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

it is meager so let me get that motor for 700.00
Old 07-18-2006 | 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's only meager if you look at HP/TQ numbers that get thrown around.

Don't get fooled by dyno numbers. Most 4.5 gens with good drivers are very low 14 second cars on street tires at 100+ and more often than not, high 13's.

Seen too many supercharged maximas with stock pulleys run slower than that. And let's not get into reliability...
Old 07-18-2006 | 04:31 PM
csb

...mind if I pick your brains a lil' more. So far, I know I need the starter/alternator/A/C compressor, fuel rail w/ injectors and P/S pump from the new engine (all already purchased). Oh...and the wiring harness plugs as well (also arranged). I'll be using all necessary parts from my existing VQ30DE, which is in perfect working order and has an impeccable maintenance history. What else should I acquire (the new engine has only 1K on it, so I'm assuming all gaskets are fine)? Different/new motor mounts? Clutch (which one is best)? Lightened flywheel (again, which one)? Throttle body gasket (I'll be using my stock VQ30DE TB)? Other things? Can I contact you from time to time with questions? Fortunately, I have a spare car to drive while I'm doing the work, AND no job to get to (so I'll have nothing but time). I also need to locate a supercharger kit (with V1 plate). Will I need to have my ECU remapped (who should I send it to)? Larger injectors (size)? Anything else needed for this type of forced induction? Sorry for all the questions...if anyone is willing to be my point of reference during this job, I'll be happy to send some $ your way in exchange for the time. Thanks a bunch...Steve. Oh, and B4 I'm flamed..."Yes!", I did post a duplicate response on my other thread. I'm reluctant to delete either one, as I'm getting several DIFFERENT, helpful responses from my fellow org'ers.
Old 07-18-2006 | 04:39 PM
Custom User Title

Power gain meager?
Old 07-18-2006 | 06:02 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by csb
...mind if I pick your brains a lil' more. So far, I know I need the starter/alternator/A/C compressor, fuel rail w/ injectors and P/S pump from the new engine (all already purchased). Oh...and the wiring harness plugs as well (also arranged). I'll be using all necessary parts from my existing VQ30DE, which is in perfect working order and has an impeccable maintenance history. What else should I acquire (the new engine has only 1K on it, so I'm assuming all gaskets are fine)? Different/new motor mounts? Clutch (which one is best)? Lightened flywheel (again, which one)? Throttle body gasket (I'll be using my stock VQ30DE TB)? Other things? Can I contact you from time to time with questions? Fortunately, I have a spare car to drive while I'm doing the work, AND no job to get to (so I'll have nothing but time). I also need to locate a supercharger kit (with V1 plate). Will I need to have my ECU remapped (who should I send it to)? Larger injectors (size)? Anything else needed for this type of forced induction? Sorry for all the questions...if anyone is willing to be my point of reference during this job, I'll be happy to send some $ your way in exchange for the time. Thanks a bunch...Steve. Oh, and B4 I'm flamed..."Yes!", I did post a duplicate response on my other thread. I'm reluctant to delete either one, as I'm getting several DIFFERENT, helpful responses from my fellow org'ers.

you're starting from square one. I'm writing my vq35 how to as we speak. i'll upload it later on tonight.
Old 07-18-2006 | 07:28 PM
csb

Prrrfect...thx.