All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Can timing in 06 be adv. w/ obd II?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Kevlo for President

Maybe with a Consult, do to the dealer and find out.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

IIRC early A34's would have the ECU 'reset' to where it used to be..

Old 08-08-2006, 08:54 AM

^^ if that's the case, then I wouldn't worry too much about it Chad...i have mine advanced to 17* on my 3.5 and I really can't tell any difference...I've heard it's the 3.0 where it really makes the difference, or if you are a heavily modded 3.5
Old 08-08-2006, 09:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Explain why 'heavily modified' it would make more of a difference?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Explain why 'heavily modified' it would make more of a difference?
Oh I don't know... that's just what I've heard, so I believed it! It's easy to believe something when you dont know much about what you hear! haha But techincally, if compression were higher, wouldn't a timing advance yield a quicker response than a stock 3.5?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 AM

I had mine done at the dealer about a year ago.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 AM

Old 08-08-2006, 10:11 AM

Dealer gave me run around, said it couldnt be advanced... I find that difficult to believe.

Does the 'reset' prompt come up on obd, or just on aplicable ecu's?

Apprec.

Fujita, udp, hotshot headers, y-pipe are mods thus far... still need 06 harness to wire Apex neo
Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
What is this suppose to mean?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
What is this suppose to mean?
Ehh nevermind. Carrion...(pun intended)

My previous post wasn't directed at you specifically, BTW...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Ehh nevermind. Carrion...(pun intended)

My previous post wasn't directed at you specifically, BTW...
lmao, i know it was directed at me...so please explain...help me understand. I was asking a question to learn something, and it's kind of hard to learn anything if i can't get answers..i really want to know how this timing **** works, because as you can see I'm having quite a difficult time understanding...I understand that using the consult II to bump ignition timing ONLY bumps the base ignition timing, but my question is how does engine speed affect the timing, and wouldn't engines with higher compression (ie: FI) need to advance the timing further?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Made in Taiwan

Collin, I see where you question is now, this is a little bit of what I know...

Take cylinder #1 and put its piston at top dead center. We go from here, when the other cylinders were sparked in their right orders, they help turn the crankshaft which connects all the pistons to move up an down--towards and away from top dead center position. This turning will draw the #1 piston downwards away from top dead center while the camshaft lobe "rounds in" to open up the intake valve for that #1 cylinder. #1 piston moving down with the open intake valve in combination will draw air into the chamber till #1 piston is about at the bottom dead center; at which point, the lobe on the camshaft is timed to "round out" causing the intake valve to close. So then the piston travels across the bottom dead center spot and comes back up towards the top dead center again. During this stroke, all valves are supposed to be closed so compression becomes. This is where advance timing comes in. Advance timing is simply to fire a spark in advance before the piston lands right on the top dead center spot. The reason we advance the timing of this spark is to eliminate the spark delay because when and if the crank is at high spin rates and piston is traveling so fast, sparking at top dead center is consider delayed because the inertia of the piston traveling up has already at or passed it's threshhold to regain the downward traveling inertia. The whole idea is to give it the "umph" before it's too late. So they calculate the degrees before the piston gets to the top dead center position and fire the spark. That's where those advance timing in degrees come from. Then after the spark, it's the expansion stroke time when the piston is pusehd away from top dead center to trun the crank. When the piston comes back up, the exhaust camshaft lobe is timed to "round in" and push open the exhaust valve open and thus, exhaust out the wasted air. At the end of this exhaust stroke, the camshafts lobes of intake can be grinded to the geometry so that before the exahust valve is fully closed, the intake valve starts to open up--this is what "overlap" is. Then all 4 strokes of the cycles starts again.

I'm typing all this in assuming you didn't know that much, yet. But You may be beyond this knowledge here. So, dont' storm me for it. lol.

Further. When timing is advanced by too many degrees, it'll spark way before the piston travels up to the top dead center, causing the expansion of air suddenly to resist the piston's stroke up. Well, then you'll get a shake, knock, shock, or whatever the knock sensor senses as an abnormal phenomenon. That's when advance timing has maxed out, we really can't go beyond that critical point.

Now, for your question, how does engine speed affect timing...It has everything to do with it. Engine spins, pulls every pulley associated with it to spin. This spins the camshafts which has their lobes grinded out to open and close the intake and exhaust valves in direct relation to the piston positions and directions. This whole system constitute the mechanical part of the timing. If of this system is aligned to be off by some degrees, the electrical controller will spark according to "don't know what" and mess up the motor. Because sparks are fired at the wrong piston positions and directions. So, implicitly, engine speed determines the timing mechanically and electrically. It's all about getting it right.

I hope I've done it pretty good for you to understand.
I guess no one wants to type this much to explain it to you.

-Peter-
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by GodFather
Collin, I see where you question is now, this is a little bit of what I know...

Take cylinder #1 and put its piston at top dead center. We go from here, when the other cylinders were sparked in their right orders, they help turn the crankshaft which connects all the pistons to move up an down--towards and away from top dead center position. This turning will draw the #1 piston downwards away from top dead center while the camshaft lobe "rounds in" to open up the intake valve for that #1 cylinder. #1 piston moving down with the open intake valve in combination will draw air into the chamber till #1 piston is about at the bottom dead center; at which point, the lobe on the camshaft is timed to "round out" causing the intake valve to close. So then the piston travels across the bottom dead center spot and comes back up towards the top dead center again. During this stroke, all valves are supposed to be closed so compression becomes. This is where advance timing comes in. Advance timing is simply to fire a spark in advance before the piston lands right on the top dead center spot. The reason we advance the timing of this spark is to eliminate the spark delay because when and if the crank is at high spin rates and piston is traveling so fast, sparking at top dead center is consider delayed because the inertia of the piston traveling up has already at or passed it's threshhold to regain the downward traveling inertia. The whole idea is to give it the "umph" before it's too late. So they calculate the degrees before the piston gets to the top dead center position and fire the spark. That's where those advance timing in degrees come from. Then after the spark, it's the expansion stroke time when the piston is pusehd away from top dead center to trun the crank. When the piston comes back up, the exhaust camshaft lobe is timed to "round in" and push open the exhaust valve open and thus, exhaust out the wasted air. At the end of this exhaust stroke, the camshafts lobes of intake can be grinded to the geometry so that before the exahust valve is fully closed, the intake valve starts to open up--this is what "overlap" is. Then all 4 strokes of the cycles starts again.

I'm typing all this in assuming you didn't know that much, yet. But You may be beyond this knowledge here. So, dont' storm me for it. lol.

Further. When timing is advanced by too many degrees, it'll spark way before the piston travels up to the top dead center, causing the expansion of air suddenly to resist the piston's stroke up. Well, then you'll get a shake, knock, shock, or whatever the knock sensor senses as an abnormal phenomenon. That's when advance timing has maxed out, we really can't go beyond that critical point.

Now, for your question, how does engine speed affect timing...It has everything to do with it. Engine spins, pulls every pulley associated with it to spin. This spins the camshafts which has their lobes grinded out to open and close the intake and exhaust valves in direct relation to the piston positions and directions. This whole system constitute the mechanical part of the timing. If of this system is aligned to be off by some degrees, the electrical controller will spark according to "don't know what" and mess up the motor. Because sparks are fired at the wrong piston positions and directions. So, implicitly, engine speed determines the timing mechanically and electrically. It's all about getting it right.

I hope I've done it pretty good for you to understand.
I guess no one wants to type this much to explain it to you.

-Peter-
Yeah I knew all about the first and second paragraphs and you did a great job a summing it up. I see what you're saying in the third paragraph (after reading it a few times ) and I can see now how engine speed affects the timing. Thanks a lot for explaining it all in detail. Now I have another question: what does our VVT do for determining ignition timing, if anything? I know it affects when the intake valves open and close, but does it affect the actual spark as well?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Kevlo for President

You guys should read my tuning thread for n00bz I posted in this forum..
Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Now I have another question: what does our VVT do for determining ignition timing, if anything? I know it affects when the intake valves open and close, but does it affect the actual spark as well?
Different things such as MAF voltage, injector pulse width, cam position signal, accelerator pedal position, crank position sensor and throttle position affect the ignition timing in the A33B.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Made in Taiwan

Yeah I knew all about the first and second paragraphs and you did a great job a summing it up. I see what you're saying in the third paragraph (after reading it a few times ) and I can see now how engine speed affects the timing. Thanks a lot for explaining it all in detail. Now I have another question: what does our VVT do for determining ignition timing, if anything? I know it affects when the intake valves open and close, but does it affect the actual spark as well?

Dude, so you've known much already. Well, I know how the mechanical timing works, but I have yet to fully understand the electronic's of it. I've almost got the internship with Nissan this summer, but their crew is full. But from talking with the engineers there, VVT is their new technology that they wouldn't wanna let off. They did me a good education on the valve controls with cams, but they wouldn't explain the electronic's variation to me--it's proprietary. So I really dont' know much about their sparks. VVT isn't really new, it's new after they revised their plans on intake, camshafts, and Electronic emissions. Basically, they found ways to "optimize" their mechanical efficiency by leaps. Let me know what you've found. Also, I agree with Kevlo, find his little article, it helps out alot on a deeper understanding.

-Peter-
Old 08-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
You guys should read my tuning thread for n00bz I posted in this forum..
holy crap was that thread helpful! So if I'm understanding this correctly, the ECU (and many other factors) actually advance the ignition timing as the engine speed increases because there is less and less time in which the A/F has to ignite before TDC...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=481540
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by GodFather
Dude, so you've known much already. Well, I know how the mechanical timing works, but I have yet to fully understand the electronic's of it. I've almost got the internship with Nissan this summer, but their crew is full. But from talking with the engineers there, VVT is their new technology that they wouldn't wanna let off. They did me a good education on the valve controls with cams, but they wouldn't explain the electronic's variation to me--it's proprietary. So I really dont' know much about their sparks. VVT isn't really new, it's new after they revised their plans on intake, camshafts, and Electronic emissions. Basically, they found ways to "optimize" their mechanical efficiency by leaps. Let me know what you've found. Also, I agree with Kevlo, find his little article, it helps out alot on a deeper understanding.

-Peter-
Man, that would have been awesome to score that internship! Is this 'optimized' VVT already in the VQ35s or is all of this new technology going to show in the next generation VQ?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Made in Taiwan

holy crap was that thread helpful! So if I'm understanding this correctly, the ECU (and many other factors) actually advance the ignition timing as the engine speed increases because there is less and less time in which the A/F has to ignite before TDC...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=481540

You are correct! ECU is used to determine the advanced spark timing. On a distributor system, they actually turn the disc ahead by which ever degrees they want, but that can only get them correct to a certain range of rpms...

We have variable valve timing because of the engine speed. Like our variable intakes--longer runner for low end torque and shorter runners for high end torque. Back in the old days, they only have one length runners, so the way them runners are made will be optimized for the economical rpms. That's why VQ's with variable runners can score so good down low and moderately good up high. VVT is the same analogy concept. They are just controlling the valves for low and high range rpms.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Alot of the info being posted is way oversimplified. Furthermore, i won't be posting anything else since it seems my $.02 are worthless (in this and a couple other threads in this forum).