All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

*cam Spacers From Tilleys99*

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:22 PM

Exclamation *cam Spacers From Tilleys99*

do not buy stuff from tilleys99....i ordered and paid for cam spacers back in april 2006 and still didnt recieve it...i tried contacting him and no one picks up...i also leave messages and get no returned calls...i also instant message him on aol instant messenger and dont get a reply back.... this is bull****....TILLEY IF YOUR READING THIS I WANT MY ****ING MONEY BACK!
Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Kevlo for President

Paypal? Keep callin...
Old 08-12-2006, 02:37 PM

he's a busy man I here.Maybe somebody will rely the message to him.If you need spacers pm me.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:46 PM

i need spacers but i want my money back so i can get spacers from TRUSTED people on maxima.org!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:37 PM
4G63

I believe he is out of the country till thursday.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:47 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

i'd have to say it also took me pretty long to get my 2 sets of spacers. the first set i had to bother him everyday to ship, and the second set i had to have a friend drve up there (someone who knew him) to get them. otherwise i prolly wouldnt have them by now.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 AM

I've never dealt with him myself but from the word of others hes a good man, I myself tried to buy spacers but could never get in contact with him.

I cant help but feel that communication is the key, even if you cant get them out still let people know whats going on so they arent in the dark and leave them feeling like they might not get their product. I'm not saying he's running his business bad, but its a bad way to conduct business. . . but then again I dont know what could be going on behind the scenes a series of unfortunate events could be occuring that no one on the org would be able to see/know about.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I've never dealt with him myself but from the word of others hes a good man, I myself tried to buy spacers but could never get in contact with him.

I cant help but feel that communication is the key, even if you cant get them out still let people know whats going on so they arent in the dark and leave them feeling like they might not get their product. I'm not saying he's running his business bad, but its a bad way to conduct business. . . but then again I dont know what could be going on behind the scenes a series of unfortunate events could be occuring that no one on the org would be able to see/know about.
I see your point and I agree. I know that running a business is hard work and takes alot of one's personal time, and if unforseen things come up like you say, we might not ever know it (because really its none of our business), but this "not being able to contact him/ dont get a call back/ takes forever to ship" stuff with Tilley unfortunatly seems to happen quite often.

There are of course the guys that shime in to defend him saying that they have no problem reaching him and all, but when you have several people complaining about the same issue over a period of months, then its no longer a "something might be happening behind the scenes" issue, and it becomes a questionable business practice issue.

Im not here to rant on Tilley by any means, he's done quite alot for this community and set some great landmarks for us. But after this long of people complaining about the same issue, perhaps it is time to make a few changes within the business to avoid these issues from occuring again. After all, happy clients= clients COMING BACK and REFFERING THEIR FRIENDS=More Revenue.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea I know a person on the org who said they would do the 3.5 swap for me for me in August. After I got the motor and the parts and began pm him and he never responded. I would see him on different post saying he would do swap 4 someone else but he doesnt have that much time. I wont mention tha name. My thing is if u dont have free time just tell me, it wont b hard feelings. Dudes get sour when u give people ur word and then we cant even get in contact wit u when the time comes $ the deal to complete. Everyone should b a man and stand by their own word if not b able to tell the person urself u got no time so he do wha he gotta do to get his work done or in ur case the parts from another oger.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:45 PM

I dont know, if you cant deliver dont take the orders, or at least call and update the customer so they know that its on backorder/your working on it atleast
Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

He might be a good man but

i order mine like 6 month ago , stil not received it !!!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 PM

And I was complaing about my wait time. At this point do what you have to do to get your money back but just get the spacers/adapters from Stephen Max to continue your project. Thats the most that can be done at this point.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:20 PM

If we can't get the cams drilled by Tilley who else can get it done?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
If we can't get the cams drilled by Tilley who else can get it done?
I don't think too many people are drilling the cams anymore. For about $100 - $125, you can get adapters that do the same thing as drilling. That is how Chris'max got his car up and running NA. Just hit up Stephen Max. My friend ordered a couple of weeks ago and goth them in last week.

Mike
Old 08-14-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
i'd have to say it also took me pretty long to get my 2 sets of spacers. the first set i had to bother him everyday to ship, and the second set i had to have a friend drve up there (someone who knew him) to get them. otherwise i prolly wouldnt have them by now.
Yeah Tavarish, tell me about it!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:35 PM

so only stephenmax and make cam spacer and adapters?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
vsamoylov

maxs might be able to make them as well.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
so only stephenmax and make cam spacer and adapters?
As far as I know this is the only other person that has sold some. But others have come up with other resources.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 PM

I can get spacers for you guys.. I had a set made when I was putting Frosty's VQ together.. I think they were around 50.00 or so..

Travis
Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 AM
SomePsychoGuy

I paypaled Tilley for the Cam adapters on May 4th and didn't I get them in for months. I finally emailed him saying that I wanted a refund becuase I was tired of waiting and I had a change of plans and didn't need them anymore. I received an email a few days later saying he would get me a refund once he "transfers funds". I have yet to hear back from him nor have I received my refund or cam adapters.
Once again I cannot overstate what Tilley has done for the Maxima community, but business is business. I don't mind waiting for a quality part but at least keep me informed and be somewhat easy to get in touch with.

Travis: Tilley and Stephen have been charging at least double that. Although they also either drill your intake cams or give you a true adapter (no drilling).
Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 AM

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear these stories. I can say that Tilley is a busy man and might get behind in his work. With all the 3.5's popping left and right, it won't help. My personal experience was so different that I feel you guys are talking about another Tilley. This summer he always answered my phone calls while at his shop and took time to talk to my mechanic on several occasions to explain the details to him. If he did change his ways, then I do feel sorry for you guys but he did so much for me that I have to at least share my positive experience in his defence. I truly hope that all this mess gets corrected and that Tilley's name don't get thrown in the mud after all he's done.
As for Stephen Max, there's another great guy!! He was very easy to work with as well. He shipped me the IACV plate and I was very pleased. It took me 1 month to receive them but it was not his fault. The border kept them for over 3 weeks for inspection of the parcel but Stephen was very patient and kept contact with me to get update on my situation.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by TurboS13Hatch
I can get spacers for you guys.. I had a set made when I was putting Frosty's VQ together.. I think they were around 50.00 or so..

Travis
Hey Trav,

The issue really aren't the spacers but Tilley originated the idea or design of modifying the spacers so you wouldn't have to drill the cams anymore. If you can do that, then you can corner the market.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:56 PM

I haven't looked into it much.. but, why do you have to drill the cams in the first place? Are you guys doing it to compensate for losing the CVTC?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:33 PM

I haven't looked into it much.. but, why do you have to drill the cams in the first place? Are you guys doing it to compensate for losing the CVTC?
It's to advance the cam for a more balanced powerband. The cam timing would be in the fully retarded position with the dowel pin in the factory location. This would result in the intake valves opening @ 6* ATDC and closing @ 64* ABDC. This would result in excellent top-end power but would sacrifice power everywhere else. For reference the stock A33B ECU reaches full cam retard at 6200 RPM and holds there til redline.

Edit: I guess SPiG answered why they need to be drilled. I explained why they are drilling the dowel pin location where they are.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
SomePsychoGuy

You can't just space the cam. The VQ35 intake sprocket has the pin while the VQ30 intake cams have the pin, and the VQ30 pin and VQ35 hole are around 180* off from each other. So you have to drill a new hole and put a pin in there to use a VQ35 style cam with a VQ30 style timing chain system.

I believe Tilley was just going to make a spacer that had two pins that would not require the drilling.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:13 PM

The VQ35 cams have a small and large hole... the small hole (which the VQ35 sprocket uses), is exactly almost exactly 180 degrees opposite of the large dowel hole. So, when the VQ35 intake cam's small pin hole is set at 12 o'clock, the large hole faces 6 o'clock. Also, on the VQ30 timing gear, the tooth that lines it up at 12 o'clock, has a opposite tooth at 6 o'clock, which is exactly even with the centerline of the cam gear. So.. you put the spacer on.. with the large dowel pin hole facing 6 o'clock, instead of 12 o'clock..(this keeps the cam where it needs to be when setting the timing). Then, rotate the VQ30 cam gear around 180 degrees, and count the teeth out to find the exact opposite tooth. Mark that tooth, and put it on the mating mark on the chain.. This will put you to within a few degrees of 0 as far as cam timing is concerned.. and eliminates the need to have the cams drilled out. This is how I did it on Frosty's engine.. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about..

Notice how the large dowels on the intake side are facing 6 o'clock.. the small gear right behind it is the same way..

Travis
Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Kevlo for President

So by your method we only need a spacer and we have to rotate the 30 timing gear 180 degrees?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM

The VQ35 cams have a small and large hole... the small hole (which the VQ35 sprocket uses), is exactly almost exactly 180 degrees opposite of the large dowel hole. So, when the VQ35 intake cam's small pin hole is set at 12 o'clock, the large hole faces 6 o'clock. Also, on the VQ30 timing gear, the tooth that lines it up at 12 o'clock, has a opposite tooth at 6 o'clock, which is exactly even with the centerline of the cam gear. So.. you put the spacer on.. with the large dowel pin hole facing 6 o'clock, instead of 12 o'clock..(this keeps the cam where it needs to be when setting the timing). Then, rotate the VQ30 cam gear around 180 degrees, and count the teeth out to find the exact opposite tooth. Mark that tooth, and put it on the mating mark on the chain.. This will put you to within a few degrees of 0 as far as cam timing is concerned.. and eliminates the need to have the cams drilled out. This is how I did it on Frosty's engine.. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about..

Notice how the large dowels on the intake side are facing 6 o'clock.. the small gear right behind it is the same way..

Travis
A couple thoughts. The angular distance between the two holes isn't exactly 180*. And variations in the cam timing by even a few degrees can make a big difference since the cam turns 1 for every 2 crank revs. Secondly, and more importantly, i think the intake sprocket being upside down at TDC will affect the ECU's ability to run the motor effectively. The cam position sensor reads off of the cam sprocket and is there to primarily tell the ECU which stroke the number 1 cylinder is on. If the reading is off by 180 cam degrees (360 crank degrees) the ECU would fire the injectors at the beginning of the power stroke instead of the intake stroke and fire the ignition coils before TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. This is all to my understanding. Feel free to correct me and explain your position.

Edit: I just remembered you'll be using a standalone engine management system. This might change things in your case, but it couldn't work with the A32 ECU.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Are those MSD injectors? If so, what size?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
A couple thoughts. The angular distance between the two holes isn't exactly 180*. And variations in the cam timing by even a few degrees can make a big difference since the cam turns 1 for every 2 crank revs. Secondly, and more importantly, i think the intake sprocket being upside down at TDC will affect the ECU's ability to run the motor effectively. The cam position sensor reads off of the cam sprocket and is there to primarily tell the ECU which stroke the number 1 cylinder is on. If the reading is off by 180 cam degrees (360 crank degrees) the ECU would fire the injectors at the beginning of the power stroke instead of the intake stroke and fire the ignition coils before TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. This is all to my understanding. Feel free to correct me and explain your position.

Edit: I just remembered you'll be using a standalone engine management system. This might change things in your case, but it couldn't work with the A32 ECU.
Ahh.. you know.. I didn't even think about the sensor for the cam gears.. We're running a standalone..

The other option.. is to drill the cam sprocket.. If you have a drill press.. this should only take you about 2 minutes to do.. You should only have to drill one of the sprockets.. since the ECU only reads off the front intake cam. It would be fairly easy to do... all you need is a degree wheel, a punch, and a drill/bit.

As for the cam timing.. if you use the existing holes, and flip the sprockets around... it puts it damn near at 0 degrees.. It may be 1-2 degrees off.. but, that's not enough to make a huge difference either way..

Travis
Old 08-15-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Are those MSD injectors? If so, what size?
Those are MSD 1000cc injectors..
Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by i30krab
Yeah Tavarish, tell me about it!
yeah, sorry about that. sent em out today.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by MaxBlack97
Yea I know a person on the org who said they would do the 3.5 swap for me for me in August. After I got the motor and the parts and began pm him and he never responded. I would see him on different post saying he would do swap 4 someone else but he doesnt have that much time. I wont mention tha name. My thing is if u dont have free time just tell me, it wont b hard feelings. Dudes get sour when u give people ur word and then we cant even get in contact wit u when the time comes $ the deal to complete. Everyone should b a man and stand by their own word if not b able to tell the person urself u got no time so he do wha he gotta do to get his work done or in ur case the parts from another oger.
I haven't heard from you in a while. I'll assume you're talking about me. You're not the first to contact me about a swap, i get lots of pm's everyday with questions regarding this swap, sorry if I didn't respond fast enough, or didnt give you any contact info. If you wanted to contact me, why didnt you ask for my number, or my AIM? it's listed here, and thats how people usually contact me, i'm always on.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:34 PM

Ahh.. you know.. I didn't even think about the sensor for the cam gears.. We're running a standalone..
Yea i realized that after the fact (see the edit) and felt like a jacka$$.

As for the cam timing.. if you use the existing holes, and flip the sprockets around... it puts it damn near at 0 degrees.. It may be 1-2 degrees off.. but, that's not enough to make a huge difference either way..

Travis
Well im personally a stickler for details like cam timing and want it to be spot on when i do my swap. Prolly gonna dial in a bit of extra retard
Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 PM

I don't understand why you guys don't swap in 2002 6spd Maxima harness/ECU's.. and keep the CVTC.. it makes a BIG difference! Hell, if I can get it working in the Sentra.. you guys should be able to get it working in the Maxima..
Old 08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
vsamoylov

I don't understand why you guys don't swap in 2002 6spd Maxima harness/ECU's.. and keep the CVTC.. it makes a BIG difference! Hell, if I can get it working in the Sentra.. you guys should be able to get it working in the Maxima..
everybody has their own reasons.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:58 PM

1000cc WTF you guys building??? Any specs on this motor? Dynos of it and vids?

Hey turbo about that adapter for the cams, if i want to just drop in the vq35 cams can you make that as i wouldnt really wanna bother with the ecu and harness stuff. With this adapter do you still have to drill the cams
Old 08-15-2006, 05:58 PM

The problem with me is i wouldn't know how to integrate the 3.5 '02 harness into the A32 dash harness. I'm more familiar with mechanical workings than electronic stuff and wiring.

A have access to a 6-speed ECU on the cheap. Could you perchance locate a full 2002 harness for me?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
The problem with me is i wouldn't know how to integrate the 3.5 '02 harness into the A32 dash harness. I'm more familiar with mechanical workings than electronic stuff and wiring.

A have access to a 6-speed ECU on the cheap. Could you perchance locate a full 2002 harness for me?
I believe Jclaw has one for sale. But to be honest I think the best route would to go eng92's way. Swap in the necessary parts of the harness.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:35 AM
SomePsychoGuy

For the time and effort of getting one cam drilled you might as well do both just for consistancy and you can adjust the cam timing (for good or bad) in the process which is not something easy to do on this car, but it never occured to me to reverse the sprocket.

That is easy to say when you are getting paid to work on the car instead of the other way around. I am sure rewiring a car is a walk in the park for you, but most of us don't want to do that if possible. Just wondering have you done a VQ35 swap with ECU to a pre 2002 Sentra?

1000cc WTF you guys building??? Any specs on this motor? Dynos of it and vids?
There are several threads about it in the TC/SC forum. But most of the stuff above is not released yet since the car is not done.

Quick Reply: *cam Spacers From Tilleys99*