All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.5: very small oil leak...what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
csb

3.5: very small oil leak...what can I do?

It's on the front bank right where the inner timing case meets the cylinder head. Oil seeps a little...just enough to wipe off after a couple hundred miles. What, if anything, can I do to slow/stop this from continuing (other than pulling everything apart, which I'm not going to do for such a small dilemma)? I really don't mind taking a couple of seconds each week to wipe off what little there is. Suggestions? Thx.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Only way to really fix it is to pull it all apart and re-seal. You can try cleaning it off really well and put some kinda Blue Permetex stuff in where its leaking. That may take care of it.

To me, oil leaks are my least favorite. That would bother me a real lot especially after all of that work.

-matt
Old 08-17-2006, 05:57 PM
csb

It bothers me too, although there's no friggin' way I'm going to take all that ****e apart to seal a tiny leak. I'd rather wipe it off every now and then. The most annoying part is that I followed the FSM instructions to a T and still...
Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Custom User Title

I used to think my engine seeped oil from there, but I realized it was oil spilled when refilling oil in the oil filler.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:07 PM
csb

I wish that were the case...it's definitely coming from the seal b/w the inner timing case and the cylinder head just 3 or 4 inches above the alternator. I guess I have no real choice but to spray it clean and completely seal it from the outside. I can't imagine having to pull everything apart again...as I mentioned earlier, I'd rather just wipe it clean every so often. What a drag...
Old 08-18-2006, 04:56 AM

No leaks is best, but you could have it alot worse. Don't sweat it, just seal the spot and be done.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Father of the 00 VI

yeah mines like that drips on my alternater,same spot as yours to
Old 08-18-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
yeah mines like that drips on my alternater,same spot as yours to
I have a pretty good idea of what it could be. Listen up

My old motor, 143,000 miles did that after I installed the blower at about 125,000. It starter to leak at about 140k after few times off and on of the blower.

When I installed the blower onto the my new motor this week, I noticed that each bolt has some dry sealant on it from the factory. I believe that when your re-installing the timing cover onto the motor, you need to tab the end of each bolt, about half to 1/4 of the way up, with Permatex Blue Sealant. I did that when I put each of the bolts in on my timing cover when I put the blower back on. Requin, Paul, also mentioned the same leak to me when I posted pictures of it. It would be interesting if that fixed it.

Let me know your ideas

-matt
Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 PM
csb

Interesting. Well...to attempt this, I'd have to remove the outer cover, etc. Today, I sealed the entire seam b/w the inner case and the cylinder head (from the outside, obviously) with 3 separate layers of RTV gray. I decided to use gray because of its oil resistance...blue is more known for pressure resistance (difficult decision). Anyway, I'm leaving the car off for 24 hours b4 running it to allow the RTV to fully cure. Thanks for chiming in, BTW...seems as though this may be a fairly common occurrence. Totally annoying, but common.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by matty

My old motor, 143,000 miles did that after I installed the blower at about 125,000. It starter to leak at about 140k after few times off and on of the blower.

When I installed the blower onto the my new motor this week, I noticed that each bolt has some dry sealant on it from the factory. I believe that when your re-installing the timing cover onto the motor, you need to tab the end of each bolt, about half to 1/4 of the way up, with Permatex Blue Sealant. I did that when I put each of the bolts in on my timing cover when I put the blower back on. Requin, Paul, also mentioned the same leak to me when I posted pictures of it. It would be interesting if that fixed it.

Let me know your ideas

-matt
sounds like it could be the prob but i wont know until i put my cams in next year
Old 08-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Let me know your ideas

-matt
I believe your onto something. I noticed when removing the timing case bolts that each had a drop like shape of sealant on it, as well as a small portion of the treats at the bottom of each screw.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:36 PM

Let me know your ideas

-matt
When you apply RTV sealeant you're supposed to apply it on the inside of the hole so the oil doesn't even have a chance to get to the bolt hole. The FSM doesn't mention this practice and i've installed timing covers and oil pans quite a few times successfully with no leaks without applying anything to the bolts.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:47 PM

Are you sure it's not the front valve cover gasket leaking?

Old 08-20-2006, 03:47 PM
csb

Positive. It seems to have stopped, though...hopefully semi-permanently.
Either way, it was tiny.