All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.5 complete . . . running rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 AM

I gotcha, it was a hard picture to get a decent shot of but the focus of the pic was to show TDC on the crank, plus it was night time too and was reliant on flash for a decent pic. at that time the chain werent lined up to reflect TDC.

but just curious about the links as when I rotated the crank before I re-set TDC for the motor, the timing wasnt really off, but chain links werent reflecting. so if the colored links do aid a sensor like the cam sensor understand TDC then it would make my motor run funny.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Kevlo for President

Buy a new camera You got 2 vq35's and 1 bad cam
Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 AM

I have an extra cam sensor if this one is bad, and that second motor gets worked on as soon as I'm done with my car, but I still have to strip it down and check the block.

if this swap wasnt draining my pockets I would have gotten a nice 7mp camera I've been eying for a while. had to steal my sisters kodak camera
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by MDeezy
so if the colored links do aid a sensor like the cam sensor understand TDC then it would make my motor run funny.

The colored links are just there for lining up the gears.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Made in Taiwan

You should find on the colored links an arrow ingraved in it or something. It's been kinda long since I did mine, and I do recall seeing arrows for the accurate line up to the TDC on crank shaft. Nismology, please check me if I'm wrong, I really don't remember that well on those because my Mechanics did the line up for me, actually.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 AM

I know the orange link will line up with the little dip thats on crank sprocket.

and the purple links should be at a 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock position with the arrows on the cam sprocket pointing at the link.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

When you're putting in the timing chain, MAKE SURE to have ALL the slack in the chain on the left side near the tensioner. If there's any slack between the right sprocket, water pump, and crank sprocket, you risk jumping a tooth or two when it's started. I know this from experience. When I first did my 3.5 swap, this happened and I busted a couple of valves. Remarkably, the engine still ran with a couple of busted valves and with the timing chain off a couple of teeth.

You can do all this with the engine in the bay, but you can be more methodical and careful if the engine is out of the car.

After putting on the chain, tensioner, and guides, I made sure to turn the crank by hand about 20 times or so with the timing chain cover off to make for dam* sure that it would stay in alignment. Take the spark plugs out to make it lots easier to turn the crank by hand.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by Weimar Ben
When you're putting in the timing chain, MAKE SURE to have ALL the slack in the chain on the left side near the tensioner. If there's any slack between the right sprocket, water pump, and crank sprocket, you risk jumping a tooth or two when it's started. I know this from experience. When I first did my 3.5 swap, this happened and I busted a couple of valves. Remarkably, the engine still ran with a couple of busted valves and with the timing chain off a couple of teeth.

You can do all this with the engine in the bay, but you can be more methodical and careful if the engine is out of the car.

After putting on the chain, tensioner, and guides, I made sure to turn the crank by hand about 20 times or so with the timing chain cover off to make for dam* sure that it would stay in alignment. Take the spark plugs out to make it lots easier to turn the crank by hand.
1) Make sure slack is on the tensioner side.
2) Turn the crank about 20 times to make sure of alignment.

You've "touched" the most important things needed. Why didn't I think that to say? Thanks Weimer Ben, this is the best advice that I failed to mention.
Great job.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Weimar Ben

very good advice. I will adhear to it. I previously handnt turned the crank after all timing was on. I will make sure to do that this time, and listen for any odd noises, exccess friction etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what's the update man? I can't stop watching that video, keeps me motivated, oh and did you not have your exhaust hooked up?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM

my exhaust was hooked up

update:

I re-set the timing, its spot on. Re-assembled and started the car. It sounds healthy it sounds much better than before, so re-doing the timing did some good. Sadly the screeching noise is still present. Its present right over the tranny. I decided I'd take off the tranny and see what happens.

Last night when I starter, after I got the starter out I realized the problem.

The starter and flywheel are scrapping. The flywheel is torqued down to spec, same with clutch. I assume now the starter isnt fully retracting so I'll get a replacement starter tommorow.

The car was also mis-firing but it could have been due to the flywheel scrapping on the starter.

Tranny got a scar:

I have another vid of when I cranked tonight. . . uploading still
Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 PM

ah! I knew I picked up on a weird screech! ummm, you totally lost me on how that tranny got scraped like that though?? unless your flywheel wasn't seated properly I wouldn't think the clutch would come anywhere near that????

That's awesome you're exhaust was hooked up, that makes me want to **** myself, I can't wait I'm going to try to stay up so I can see the latest vid.....
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM

flywheel is fully seated, and torqued to 69 ft/lbs as stated in FSM. Clutch properly torqued in the proper sequence to 33 ft/lbs.

I'm hoping at this point its the starter, and it would make sense if the gear wasnt fully retracting, that would explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y464siDgo
give the video about 5mins to finish uploading.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Made in Taiwan

Yes, it does sound like it's the starter, but I'm still guessing because of the doubt after seeing your picture of your tranny getting scratched. If your tranny can get scratched like that internally, I really doubt that it's fully the starter causing this noise.

That scratch looks more like something wasn't installed correctly in your clutch assembly. Now, IIRC, you've converted from auto to manual during this swap, right? Did your pilot bearing get installed correctly? that bearing lines up your crank to the whole clutching assembly, very important.

I do hope it's just your starter, though. If not, you'd have major problems coming your way.

-Peter-
Old 10-17-2006, 10:01 PM

in many convertions I've been told that you can keep the AT bearing and all will be fine.

I am still using, the AT bushing and I wondered if it pushes out the flywheel enough to scrape onto the starter.

Also the flywheel wasnt Tq'ed down properly. I did it to 33 ft/lbs when it should have been 69ft/lbs so I assume that is going to push the flywheel closer to the engine.

But I assume its either the starter, or the AT bushing. I hope its the starter... *sigh*

motor does sound good and healthy though, much better than previously
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Wild for Width

Sheez, that sounds nuts!

Hope you can get it ironed out this week. Try to get rest when you can!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:25 AM

hey your flywheel isnt lined up.thats what it looks like.I'll come by when you get off.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
hey your flywheel isnt lined up.thats what it looks like.I'll come by when you get off.
cool.

10 yen
Old 10-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Made in Taiwan

Well, you should tripple stage torque your flywheel to 69ft/lbs. Do it like the way you would torqueing down the camshaft bearings, do it in stages to make sure proper seating and balanced torque down on the flywheel. This is a suggestion I learned back in the formula 1 team in the SAE project of my school.

Besides that, I'm not sure if A/T bushing is thicker or not, but I would recommend you to get that M/T pilot bearing just for the sake of ruling out another possible cause of the problem.

-Peter-
Old 10-18-2006, 12:01 PM

I torqued it in two stages. I did the fist past and didn’t a second the make sure none of the bolts were still loose and they were all tight at 69 ft/lbs
Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM

I heard something diferent in the first video (suspect it was clutch hitting trannsmission causing that scrape) the 2nd video sounds like the starter though......
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Made in Taiwan

Mdeezy,
Obviously, if your tranny internal got scraped like that, there must be the counter part that's got a scar or a nasty mark there. When you remove your clutch/flywheel, did you observe any of those marky's? Why wasn't this phenomona addressed in the previous threads? If there's no counter mark's, then it's really magical you get a scar like that in the tranny. There's only a few moving parts on that side of the box.

-Peter-
Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 PM

Marlon!!! When I snapped those bolts on my flywheel and they got lodged in between my pp and the tranny bellhousing it made some nasty scars! there were also marks all over my pp as well as some gouges. the pp is the only spot that would have hit that part of your bellhousing. it is the farthest part out from the motor..and if your flywheel wasnt seated properly, as in offcenter a little then your pp wasnt flat. kinda like a wobble maybe? I would check the outside of your pp first. and check all bolts make sure they are all still there! GL
-Matt
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 AM

bahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!! is all i gotta say
Old 10-19-2006, 03:26 AM

I believe I have found the problem. Will post up pics soon of that I believe the problem was. Still have to jump the car and find ouf of the noise is still present.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:01 PM

i wouldnt post it.keep that a secret.

4 ur sake????
Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 AM

*UPADTE* No Noises!~!

If the flywheel isnt aligned properly, that would throw timming off wouldnt it?

Basically after algining the flywheel properl and some adjustments, the flywheel sat right and was noticably further inward, thus giving the needed clearance.

I put bolted the clutch and eveything back up and started the car. No screeching noise!!

Car sounds great now, I have a bouncy idle that goes from 1.5k ->1.8K ->1.5k and so on.

Going to attaching tubing the IACV and see if that fixes the bouncy idle.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Made in Taiwan

Sounds good. Congrats on the successful install.

Have you seen my thread when I had mine done? Can you please make a thread similar upon succeeding the swap? I'd like to see your setup in detail and see the problems you've encountered plus how you dealt with them to solve them. That kind of threads will help lots of us to figure out things from the get-go. In addition, new intending 3.5 swap guys should track these threads down before hand and see some of the common techies to gain some broader troubleshooting knowledge.

So far, I see some timing problems to be pretty common. Alignning the chain in that 3.5 is pretty tricky.

-Peter-
Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 AM

I was planning on doing that. I have one small problem left to fix with the car, then make sure my idle is solid and stable. Do a test drive then post with all the specs, problems I ran into, time it took, obstacles etc.

Plus I took a lot of pics (camera phone but still decent) so I can make a library of various stages I was at.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Made in Taiwan

very nice, mdeezy.

I hope MODS can consider stickie threads like that so that this info is readily available. If some runs into problems with the swap, they can easily locate symptoms and jump on to correct them.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 AM

So do you think you bent any valves from when the timing was messed up. Because thats what happened to me but I only let my engine run for about 2 min maybe a little more.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 AM

dang Marlon, glad its getting worked out. I am pretty sure after seeing all of your problems with this, I am going to go with the de-k swap again. Let me know how it treats you in the weeks to come. And if the power you got was worth it.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Made in Taiwan

He says he's got only one little IACV issue right now to play with, so that ruled out that bent valve problem. Bent valves are obviously ghetto, so it's assumable that Mdeezy has his valves in tact.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:12 PM

when i go back and compare my first video to second, the first video sounds like the timing is off and parts might be colliding, but the 2nd video the motor sounds smoother but the screeching noise is pretty dominant.

the fluctuating idle was always present each time I started the car, the iacv was always plugged in but missing the contections to the intake. I was looking in the faq again last night and blew up the picture of dubya engine bay and the way certain vacuum lines were ran, and I think mine arent in the proper place. i just purchased a proper tube for the iacv so I'll see when I hook it up tonight.

I dont think a bent valve is causing this fluctuating idle. I'm going to baby the car for a 1,000 miles (a good break in), before I start to enjoy the plesantries of this swap.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by matts95max
dang Marlon, glad its getting worked out. I am pretty sure after seeing all of your problems with this, I am going to go with the de-k swap again. Let me know how it treats you in the weeks to come. And if the power you got was worth it.
well my problems in honnestly was pretty self inflicted. If I was more carefull with the timing, and flywheel then I would have had this extra week of down time. Besides that the swap I has been pretty gravy.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Made in Taiwan

well my problems in honnestly was pretty self inflicted. If I was more carefull with the timing, and flywheel then I would have had this extra week of down time. Besides that the swap I has been pretty gravy.

That's why we need a 3.5 swap Tech Thread so the next generation of kids wouldn't mess up on their 3.5 swaps.

Nice job again, MDeezy
Old 10-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by GodFather
That's why we need a 3.5 swap Tech Thread so the next generation of kids wouldn't mess up on their 3.5 swaps.

Nice job again, MDeezy
I'm almost done, I got a lot of people to thank for getting this far.

I think accidents/mess ups are semi-natural. A swap is never going to go 100% flawless, not even on factory cars hence re-calls. Best we can do is do as much research as we can, know all that were getting into, and have to means, tools, and common sense to get it done start to finish.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Made in Taiwan

I'm almost done, I got a lot of people to thank for getting this far.

I think accidents/mess ups are semi-natural. A swap is never going to go 100% flawless, not even on factory cars hence re-calls. Best we can do is do as much research as we can, know all that were getting into, and have to means, tools, and common sense to get it done start to finish.

Good call. That's what I mean, too.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:36 AM

WARNING:thread jack

Which one next LS2TT,VQ35TT, or 2jz-gte??????
Old 10-21-2006, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
WARNING:thread jack

Which one next LS2TT,VQ35TT, or 2jz-gte??????
LS2TT = no usuable gears except 4,5th, and 6th (if its a six speed)
VQ35DETT = pricey, good gains, if built properly would be a damn nice
2JZ-GTE = would take a lot of work, a lot of fabrication but might be more worth it in the end than the other two options.

what about 1jz w/ gt35r ?

Quick Reply: 3.5 complete . . . running rough