All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

I need help! NATS system malfunction..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 PM

I need help! NATS system malfunction..

Hello,
As some of you know I'm installing an 02 Maxima ECU into my 95 240 with 3.5L VQ. I have a key and ECU out of the same car. I took it to Nissan today to have the key programmed to the ECU because I have a NATS system malfunction - I assumed that the ECU forgot it's memory and needed reprogrammed to the key since it's been out of the Maxima for many months.

When the tech plugged in the Consult II we couldn't get it to recognize the ECU, something is wrong. I double checked that the two communication wires were going to the ECU correctly, that the two power wires had power and the two ground wires were grounded (on the diagnostic plug). I can't figure out why the Consult II wouldn't communicate with my ECU...I can't fix the NATS malfunction until I fix the communication problem..

Also, the tech said that I needed to have the Maxima's key actually inserted into the maxima's ignition switch (which I'm not using, I just have it taped to the NATS module wired by the ECU). I think that's false.

Anybody have any experience here?

Thanks,
Fred
Old 11-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge
When the tech plugged in the Consult II we couldn't get it to recognize the ECU, something is wrong. I double checked that the two communication wires were going to the ECU correctly, that the two power wires had power and the two ground wires were grounded (on the diagnostic plug). I can't figure out why the Consult II wouldn't communicate with my ECU...I can't fix the NATS malfunction until I fix the communication problem..
Did you have all your ecu power and grounds connected? I believe there is atleast four of each.

Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge
Also, the tech said that I needed to have the Maxima's key actually inserted into the maxima's ignition switch (which I'm not using, I just have it taped to the NATS module wired by the ECU). I think that's false.

Anybody have any experience here?

Thanks,
Fred
You do not need the ignition switch but the chipped part of the key has to be pretty much in the plane of that plastic ring on the NATS module that goes around the ignition switch. There may be a coil inside that ring that picks up the presence of the key. I tried just velcroing the key to the outside of the main part of the NATS module and that did not work.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 AM

I believe I have all the power and grounds connected but I'll double check them.

You may be right, I may not have the chip close enough to the ring causing the NATS malfunction.

thanks,
Fred