All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

New OBX Headers - some photos and measurements

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
Wat iz dis 3.5 transplant j00 spek ov????? BRILLIANT!!!

Shhhh... It's a secret.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by grey99max
I wanted the wrench-time for my own education. Kind of a warm-up for a 3.5 transplant.
Hey! I thought this was our "little" secret! I guess the cat's out of the bag now.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Stabone
Hey! I thought this was our "little" secret! I guess the cat's out of the bag now.
All right - don't get sweaty - I've still got stuff to build and test on the junkyard-dog 3.0. That Pathy modified intake, for example, and the 12" shorty slicks you saw... 14" rims look good for those, with a 6 1/2" backspacing.

Personal goal is to get the 3.0 into the 12s, then do another engine....

Shhhh.......
Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 AM

Oh believe me, I'm aware of your plans. I've seen the equipment. I'm going to try to be present at the track for these goals this year.

On another note: I might order these and fabricate to fit. Someone else on here has ordered them and said they look pretty good and cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180113376369

BTW.. How good are you with electrical wiring? I have EU on my mind right now, but thats a secret.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Bacon Lover

Someone else on here has ordered them and said they look pretty good and cheap!

Those peak my interest. They look to be at least pretty close to an equal-length design; even the y-pipe is equal-length! That's pretty rare for us. I would do this just for the sheer sound of an equal-length y-pipe, let alone the headers. What is the deal with that bulge near the flange that connects to the cat, though? Almost looks like a resonator or something. I'd probably have to cut that out of my set if I got one and replace it with straight piping. These also aren't meant for a 3.0, but we could certainly make them work without a whole lot of problems, unless they just suck like the y-pipe on the OBX.

The question becomes how good of quality are they? If they're going to be junk after a single winter of driving I wouldn't want to waste my time with them. Also, I need to see pics of the welds and what not before I can truly consider the possibility ordering them or not. Who was this other member who ordered them? Get them to post a thread up!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Here's the thread I'm watching:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=521245

I'm ready to ditch the oem manifolds and make the 3.5 sound better.

Sorry for going OT with this Harry.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Those peak my interest. They look to be at least pretty close to an equal-length design; even the y-pipe is equal-length! That's pretty rare for us. I would do this just for the sheer sound of an equal-length y-pipe, let alone the headers. What is the deal with that bulge near the flange that connects to the cat, though? Almost looks like a resonator or something. I'd probably have to cut that out of my set if I got one and replace it with straight piping. These also aren't meant for a 3.0, but we could certainly make them work without a whole lot of problems, unless they just suck like the y-pipe on the OBX.

The question becomes how good of quality are they? If they're going to be junk after a single winter of driving I wouldn't want to waste my time with them. Also, I need to see pics of the welds and what not before I can truly consider the possibility ordering them or not. Who was this other member who ordered them? Get them to post a thread up!

Is they are the XSPower/SSAutochrome, then they are VERY good quality. Only problem is the ypipe hits our damn crossmember
Old 05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Oh believe me, I'm aware of your plans. I've seen the equipment. I'm going to try to be present at the track for these goals this year.

On another note: I might order these and fabricate to fit. Someone else on here has ordered them and said they look pretty good and cheap!

BTW.. How good are you with electrical wiring? I have EU on my mind right now, but thats a secret.
Interesting headers - note that the O2 bung is in the wrong place - they should be somewhere after the three downpipes merge. The three downpipes merge into a pretty small 3-to-1 collector pipe. Look closely.

If I see this correctly, the front and rear collectors merge into one smallish 2-1 collector and then expand into a flex section. The pipe just after the 2-pipe merge looks pretty small, then expands into the flex. Not generally a good thing. No EGR tube, either.

My first question would be how do the headers fit into the Maxima - especially around the motor mounts - then where does the Y-pipe fit? Is it too low for Maximas?? That flex is too far forward to work right, I think - the flex would be under the engine.

The pipe after the flex seems bigger ?2 3/4" OD? That could be OK if everything lines up, but the O2 bungs need to be moved and there seems to be two choke points in the tubing at the 3-1 and 2-1 collectors. Oh - always use OEM engine gaskets - they are framed in metal.

This set would not be my choice if high performance is the goal. Find somebody that has installed them and get pictures - I could be F.O.S.

They are pretty, though.

Yes, I do electrical stuff - you didn't see the basement lab. Shift_Fast_3 is under construction down there.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Here's the thread I'm watching:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=521245

I'm ready to ditch the oem manifolds and make the 3.5 sound better.

Sorry for going OT with this Harry.
3.5s are never OT. Besides, this thread has opened up some good info on headers for the 4th gens. That ain't bad....

If you do OBX, I know an exhaust shop just a few blocks away...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

A few more up-the-shirt headers shots

While changing out the Mobil1 oil, I took a few more shots of the new headers. Just a few more details for your viewing enjoyment.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn1977.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn1978.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn1979.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn1980.jpg

Note the long 2-1 collector going to the turbo flex. No restrictions there.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Kevlo for President

Need dyno
Old 05-12-2007, 06:51 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Need dyno
dyno will happen - but I now have an appointment for a 3" cutout installation on Monday afternoon.

Then it's finishing and testing the Shift_Fast_3 shifter, with a little casual spraying on the streets and on-ramps...

We shall see......
Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Bacon Lover

dyno will happen - but I now have an appointment for a 3" cutout installation on Monday afternoon.

Then it's finishing and testing the Shift_Fast_3 shifter, with a little casual spraying on the streets and on-ramps...

We shall see......
Sounds good. Is your new nitrous setup finished?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:40 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Sounds good. Is your new nitrous setup finished?

nope - I've got all the pieces and hoses, but I want to finish what I've got going on now first.

I noticed that my FPR may have a problem - or maybe the Walbro 255 - because the fuel pressure can barely be adjusted up to 43 psi now. Something has changed, and I don't want to spray hard until I get it figured out.

"It's always something".
Old 05-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Turbo 3.5

nope - I've got all the pieces and hoses, but I want to finish what I've got going on now first.

I noticed that my FPR may have a problem - or maybe the Walbro 255 - because the fuel pressure can barely be adjusted up to 43 psi now. Something has changed, and I don't want to spray hard until I get it figured out.

"It's always something".
preach on pastor grey!

I am still having problems with my afpr, going to try a different brand
dying to see what you run
Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Bacon Lover

"It's always something".
You got all the larger plumbing done, at least, right?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:25 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

You got all the larger plumbing done, at least, right?

Oh, yeah - the Alaskan Pipeline has been installed for quite a while. I made a couple of highway runs with it before the snows came, and there was a definite difference... Each stage is a kick in the back and the car now keeps on pulling hard, instead of tapering off like it used to do.

You can see the black NX nitrous 6AN pipeline at the top, when it goes into a 6AN-(2)4AN Y-connector.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Kevlo for President

Holy batmans
Old 05-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Holy shmokes, those are a lot of wires!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:20 PM

wow grey, i thought streetz had a wiring nitemare... you... omg. Borg Vs. Humans, planet of the Apes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre thing going on with that wiring, . Hey whatever! as long as it runs right? hahah
Old 05-12-2007, 06:32 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
wow grey, i thought streetz had a wiring nitemare... you... omg. Borg Vs. Humans, planet of the Apes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre thing going on with that wiring, . Hey whatever! as long as it runs right? hahah
Funny - I heard the same thing at the local "High Performance Car Club" event and cruise tonight. Too bad. I'm a racer, not a foo-foo car guy...

Makes you wonder how I'm going to get a third stage in there, doesn't it?

It's always funny how the track Tech inspectors always stall out at the nitrous wiring. Fully fused and connectorized for almost anything. Too bad. Heh...

Anyway, I found my problem with the fuel pressure thingie.. Since I have the original rail fpr still connected, and I found a vacuum leak in the intake manifold gasket, the fuel pressure was being dragged down by the OEM fpr. Fixing the intake leak made it all better - the Aeromotive FPR worked as before. Yea !!! I'm baaccckkkkk.......
Old 05-14-2007, 03:36 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

As Advertised - 3" cutout is installed!

I just got back from the exhaust shop, where the owner welded in my new stainless 3" cutout. Looks pretty good..

A few other shots before:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn2026.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn2027.jpg

and after:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn2038.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/Dscn2039.jpg

I am pleased..... and yes, wingnuts are coming....
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Kevlo for President

Hows it sound
Old 05-14-2007, 03:45 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Hows it sound

With the collector open? like somebody put a SBC in there.. With it closed - a deep rumble idling around town..

Last night I sprayed the Beast with both stages of nitrous, and it revs like never before... I smacked it up to 100 MPH very quickly once - geeze, that second stage kicks you in the back and holds you there.

It hits fuel-cut almost immediately in first - takes a few seconds more in second - too much Mother's Day traffic to extend it further. Geeze.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:15 PM

excellent work by your muff shop! Post up a video soon!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Bacon Lover

Get it to the track
Old 05-14-2007, 05:47 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Get it to the track

Dyno-tuning first......

I better check how it loads on the trailer, too. The cutout seems OK, but you never know...

EDIT - I think I need an aluminum heat shield up against the body, to keep the hot exhaust off all those lines you see..

Another good reason to keep the nitrous line INSIDE the cabin, eh? Roasted nitrous line for dinnah! Yum.... Boom !!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Bacon Lover

Dyno-tuning first......

I better check how it loads on the trailer, too. The cutout seems OK, but you never know...
True. Very true.

I hope to get all my switch panel wiring done tomorrow and test it all out, and then hopefully make it to the track Friday for a little fun
Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

True. Very true.

I hope to get all my switch panel wiring done tomorrow and test it all out, and then hopefully make it to the track Friday for a little fun
Good! Figure out where to switch in the torque converter clutch for me...

Low 13s are good... with videos - and CHEERLEADERS! Lots of CHEERLEADERS!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Bacon Lover

Good! Figure out where to switch in the torque converter clutch for me...
I'm going to try. Since I haven't had it wired up at all, I haven't even played with it on the street. Who knows what will happen Aaron92SE seems to have done some good research, but he's also on a VE, not a VQ.
Low 13s are good... with videos - and CHEERLEADERS! Lots of CHEERLEADERS!
You better hit 12's with the nitrous or I'll kick your ****!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:17 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I'm going to try. Since I haven't had it wired up at all, I haven't even played with it on the street. Who knows what will happen Aaron92SE seems to have done some good research, but he's also on a VE, not a VQ.

You better hit 12's with the nitrous or I'll kick your ****!

Well -- OK -- but with CHEERLEADERS !!!

I gotta get a good digital camcorder for the next track outing, don't I ?? I can use my Nikon for dynos, but it sux for long track shots....
Old 05-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Bacon Lover

You know if I were local I'd cheerlead for you haha. Seriously, though...13.158 + alaskan pipeline + better transmission goodies + headers = you BETTER hit 12's

I'm still attempting to hit 14's on street tires, but at Beaver Springs (my local track) I don't know that that is going to happen. I might have to go to a better track.
I gotta get a good digital camcorder for the next track outing, don't I ?? I can use my Nikon for dynos, but it sux for long track shots....
Yes, certainly. We need good vids
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM

That welding work looks very good. Those obx headers are looking better after the pics.

Can you hear me cheering 40 miles away?

When's dyno day? I might come out for that.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

You know if I were local I'd cheerlead for you haha. Seriously, though...13.158 + alaskan pipeline + better transmission goodies + headers = you BETTER hit 12's

I'm still attempting to hit 14's on street tires, but at Beaver Springs (my local track) I don't know that that is going to happen. I might have to go to a better track.

Beaver Springs? Sounds like it's made for CHEERLEADERS!

I gotta dose the M&Hs with VHT and let them marinade for a week or so. Instant sticky tires, FTW.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Bacon Lover

Beaver Springs? Sounds like it's made for CHEERLEADERS!

I gotta dose the M&Hs with VHT and let them marinade for a week or so. Instant sticky tires, FTW.
I always have cheerleaders for me when I'm there

Sticky tires FTW!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

That welding work looks very good. Those obx headers are looking better after the pics.

Can you hear me cheering 40 miles away?

When's dyno day? I might come out for that.
Imagine how much fun I could have with a 3.5 in there???? Heh...

Actually I can schedule a dyno day right now, with the old shift_fast manual shifter in there now. I'll check with 5th Gear and see what they say.

I'll PM you if I can get a date. I'll need more race fuel - I have a couple of full 15lb bottles sitting around - that should do it... and check the trailer thing, too... (sometimes I break things)....
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I always have cheerleaders for me when I'm there

Sticky tires FTW!
Send me some! Hummmm.... Sticky CHEERLEADERS! FTW!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Bacon Lover

Sticky CHEERLEADERS! FTW!
That might hurt your times because you'll be too distracted to drive your best.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

That might hurt your times because you'll be too distracted to drive your best.
Drive? Oh, yeah - drive the car..... bummer..
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Turbo 3.5

you should drive down to atco 1day with myself and a few other org members

Quick Reply: New OBX Headers - some photos and measurements