All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Idle@1500 rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007 | 09:50 AM
VQ30 DE T

Idle@1500 rpms

Hi My mods areAGX/H&R/act clutch/CAI/Mevi closed waiting on rpm switch/Pftb w iac block off plate.2.5"-3"cutout no cat-2"stock exhaust.
My 97 5spd idles at 1500 rpms .It flucuates between 1500-2500
when I first got the car it would idle at 1k.
evap cntrl solenoid & bnk 2 s1 codes were present.
I knocked 1000 carbon pellets out of the evap solenoid valve
Then I replaced the front o2 bank 2 s1.
Now that I installed a mevi with pftb it idles even higher.@2800
I adjusted the pftb tps to spec .5v closed. The idle came down to 2500.
Then I took it out for a spirited drive (very responsive) BUUUUT.
The idle only dropped to 1500. I became so impatient.I decide to remove the iac hose from the CAI,plug the iac with a spark plug and leave the CAI port open, 1K idle.
I also did the idle learn & cleared all codes.
I put everyting back to normal. now it idles @ 1500 again W Evap code.
I think its the Iac/vacuum leak. My coworker 25 years exp suggested swaping the maf any ideas? Take the bashing elswere I'am no noob (anymore)lol
My mods areAGX/H&R/act clutch/CAI/Mevi closed waiting on rpm switch/Pftb w iac block off plate.2.5"-3"cutout no cat-2"stock exhaust.
I bought this car to pacify my need for speed until my FI 4.5gen is done.
The mevi was going on my wifes auto but I decided not to mod that car Any more since I blew like 3 trannys already (2 open diff 1 vlsd).
Fyi the 97 5spd has walked specv's 5thgen dek's various hondas & hangs with wrx's non sti, modded eclipse on low boost .Someone please help me with this HIGH idle issue . for its the weekend & I have a lot of "walking" & "hanging" to do.lol
Old 08-11-2007 | 10:10 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by accordingtou
2.5"stock exhaust.
First of all, the stock exhaust is nowhere near 2.5".

Now, your problem...my suggestion is, make sure everything is cleaned up real well that moves air. That means the EVAP, IACV, throttlebody, etc. Then, make sure your throttlebody is closing all the way. It is my observation that Pathy throttlebodies, when installed on 4th gens, take some tweaking to get working exactly like you want them to. Also with the throttlebody, make absolute sure you sealed up the IACV port on the throttlebody WELL. If you don't, it will most definitely give you idle problems. My suggestion is, JB weld all the ports shut rather than messing with a potentially leaky block-off plate. If you choose to use the JB weld, make sure those ports are cleaned up real well so the JB weld sticks good and you can use painter's tape to keep everything contoured to the shape of the throttlebody so as not to get JB weld everywhere.

If you're still having problems, try adjusting the IACV. If you choose to not use the IACV again, plug it better than "with a spark plug" and do not leave a hole open on the CAI.
Old 08-11-2007 | 10:31 AM
VQ30 DE T

Thanks for the quick reply

Thank you for the exhaust correction I type then think sometimes.lol its actually 2-2.25" My 95 auto is 2.5"headers back.
As for the pftb jbweld good idea. I know for sure the tb plate is closed Because i had to weld a throttle/cruise cable bracket to the manifold.I adj with min cable slack/ the spark plug was to narrow down the problem/I cleanead the iac also used the snapon modis & solis to monitor/operate the iacv stepper motor.I also sprayed 2+2 & starter fluid around the manifold & all hoses. I will jb weld the pftb asap Also considering swaping iacv and maf from my winter beater aswell. Thankyou.
Old 08-11-2007 | 05:51 PM
<3's the all motor section

jb weld the pftb iacv passages as stated...i had severe problems with my idle prior to doing that.

if youre throwing evap codes...something is wrong. i would check your hose routing and confirm all is connected. if you want what i did when i redid my vacuum hoses/extended them etc was i parked my g/f's stock 3.0 maxima next to mine and matched them all up heh. try doing that since you got a maxima collection like me.
Old 08-11-2007 | 07:18 PM
VQ30 DE T

Update

As you guys recomended I cleaned & jb welded the pftb iacv ports (on both sides)Cleaned & swapped 4th gen iac she starts up @2500 then idles at 1k. Better buuut still not factory. I will swap out mafs tommorrow 4GP.
As for the evap crap iam going to smoke her on monday. The car runs pretty good.I also put my z32 wheels on 225/50/16. While on a test drive a unsuspecting auto 3.5l altima lined up next to me. It was very intresting He got off at the next exit with his tail between his legs we'll just say i won by default /drivers error.lol
Old 08-13-2007 | 09:58 PM
<3's the all motor section

sigh...i wish my POS swap ran good....i cant beat anything...i really need to get on what is wrong...thursday is the set day.
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:25 AM
VQ30 DE T

Update

I finally got the car to idle @750 Tatanko was right. The Tb plate adj screw was set too high. On top of there being leaks in the pftb iac plate.I still need to adj my tps .Oh and the 1000 pellets are coming from my charcoal canister. Replacing the canister & clearing out the the evap systems is going to be fun. I've been riding for three weeks without stickers.Need it fixed asap