All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Has any 3.5 swap had a P1320!??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Has any 3.5 swap had a P1320!??

Okay... I know this is somewhat common with the 98-99's to get this code, and that becasue of the wack coilpacks.. but on a set of 04 coilpacks!?

The car was running great!
I checked all the coilpacks and they seem to be working, but no signal coming out of cylinder 2 & 3.

There is no signal coming out of the ECU wiring harness for those two cylinders.... and everything else seems to be okay (CPS, CKPS, coils)
Any ideas!?

I need help... there is no one in town that will look at my car... they all think it has to do with the swap! (silly narrowminded mechanics).

Another question:
Would there be any possibility of the VAFC maybe frying or damaging the ECU to prevent it from giving signal to the coils!? The reason I ask is because both the T/S ECU and my stock are doing the same thing.

I hope you experts can help me out... sorry for reposting my problem but I figured putting up the code might give it a little push.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

So was your car running fine at one point in time and now you are getting a CEL and you longer have signal on cylinder 2 and 3? Have you tried swapping coil packs in the cylinders to see if they were bad? Another you can try is just pulling the spark plugs out, use a known good coil pack (3.5 or even a 3.0) and ground it and see if you get a spark.
Also how are you sure that you are not getting any signal other than the fact that they aren't firing, did you maybe check with a multimeter and see if you are getting any type of voltage on the signal wire? How about continuity on those wires?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 PM

The coils are good because I switched them around and the problem satys at cyl #2 & 3.

There is continuity on the signal wire from the coil harness to the ECU harness. But when the car is running, there is no voltage being sent from the ECU to the coils.
I also replaced all six spark plugs to see if maybe that was the problem but nope!
What I'm wondering is how is it that there is no more signal to the coil!? And if it would be maybe a damaged ECU, but the again both o fmy ECU's!?

The car did run great at one point.. then all of a sudden, the problem started.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:39 AM
No more Maximas...

Isn't the cyl 2+3 not firing indicative of a timing chain off by a tooth?

I'm not sure if that was a physical problem with the valves not being in the correct relation to the pistons at various points of engine rotation, or the CPS/CKPS getting confused about eachother's readings and just plain not firing/injecting on 2 and 3.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:57 AM

The wierd thing about it is that when the problem first occurred, the car started up and right away, it had the misfire. I turned it off, turned it back on and it went away.
I then drove it for about 30 miles... stopped to put gas turned it on, and the misfire started again.

When I got it home, the car would turn on running on 4 cylinders, and then all of a sudden, the 6 cylinders would kick back in, and then abck into the 4...kind of like if there was a weak signal or broken wire within the harness.

I checked the harness and did find the CKPS wire broken up so I soldered it and it did nothing to fix the problem.

I also checked the timing on the car and it seemed to be okay.... of course it was the first time I have done it but I followed the points and the manual and it looked okay.

Every person that I have asked has told me its the faulty coilpacks but I've read and spoken with the local dealerships and they have told me they havent had any problems with the 04 coilpacks.... but it is the code for a primary ignition circuit malfunction...

Also wouldnt I have felt some sort of tremble or something if it would have been the timing skipping a tooth!?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pmohr
Isn't the cyl 2+3 not firing indicative of a timing chain off by a tooth?

I believe so, can't find that tech paper someone linked to awhile back, but I do believe so