All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

EGR idea, use fresh air!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 08:34 AM

EGR idea, use fresh air!

During the 00vi swap, Ive been planning on removing the EGR system all together. However with the issue of the temp sensor code, etc...I thought about a way around it all. What I am looking at is almost like a double trigger valve. Basically, when the car starts and the existing EGR pumps air, it will open a valve to let the dirty air out, that in turn opens another valve, allowing clean air into the EGR return(filtered via mini cone filter). This way, you get the EGR system still, hopefully solve the slight decline in gas mileage and keep your UIM clean. Ideas?

Im working on a 3d model to show you exactly what Im looking at.
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:00 AM
No more Maximas...

Wouldn't that just make you run leaner? Also, would fresh air provide the same decrease in CC temps?

I thought everyone had come to the mutual conclusion that removing the EGR doesn't hurt gas mileage at all, and if it did it was negligible?

Also, 'let out the dirty air' to where? Another pipe running down into the exhaust system?
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:09 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i think that if you do that it will screw someting up, all the air going into the system is metered, if you do it with the egr what your thinking your ecu might see it as a large vaccum leak and not start/run.
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Wouldn't that just make you run leaner? Also, would fresh air provide the same decrease in CC temps?

I thought everyone had come to the mutual conclusion that removing the EGR doesn't hurt gas mileage at all, and if it did it was negligible?

Also, 'let out the dirty air' to where? Another pipe running down into the exhaust system?
It would reduce CC temps, as the egr temp would be lower, correct? Not by much, considering, but...

Well, if thats true, then this wouldn't be necessary. However, I thought the reason people kept it(or tried to) was that it kept mpg. But, it dirtied the UIM.

You could just cap it, the pressure would still open the butterfly valve. Thus you don't let it out anywhere.

BigE-dog, it the system wouldnt introduce air into the UIM until the EGR is returning air. It would still be vacuumed until then, and proportionally allow clean air in. Like a small TB.
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:02 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
It would reduce CC temps, as the egr temp would be lower, correct? Not by much, considering, but...

Well, if thats true, then this wouldn't be necessary. However, I thought the reason people kept it(or tried to) was that it kept mpg. But, it dirtied the UIM.

You could just cap it, the pressure would still open the butterfly valve. Thus you don't let it out anywhere.

BigE-dog, it the system wouldnt introduce air into the UIM until the EGR is returning air. It would still be vacuumed until then, and proportionally allow clean air in. Like a small TB.
Regular EGR systems reduce CC temperature, I was wondering if air would do the same.

It wouldn't matter when it did it, even if only when the EGR valve opened up, you're still allowing flow of a large amount of unmetered air into the UIM, which would cause you to spike lean.

I don't believe EGR has a significant effect on MPG, if it's fully functioning. It does dirty up the UIM, yes, but hey, it happens. If you don't like it, remove the EGR system in its entirety.
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:30 AM
Old Maxima Legend

its hard to say, while ive never kept records of gas mileage I have been running with the egr delete and I cant tell. on road trips i calculate everything by the same figure ..'what was it something like 27 miles to the gallon highway ?' im always on the money using that figure.
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
its hard to say, while ive never kept records of gas mileage I have been running with the egr delete and I cant tell. on road trips i calculate everything by the same figure ..'what was it something like 27 miles to the gallon highway ?' im always on the money using that figure.
When did you change your name back from MADVQ? I remember how confused I was when I first saw that, and I believe you mentioned it in another thread?
Old 12-09-2007 | 09:26 PM

I figured I would put this up just for reference. And I spent time on it and I wanna show it...haha.