All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009 | 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Here's a video of my best pass of the evening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERlulxE_x_U
did you spray on that pony? engine sounds awesome.
Old 05-30-2009 | 11:21 PM

wow Aaron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD you that y-pipe would make the difference for the ubber sound you have now !!! It sounds like pure sex!

great job and congrats on everything mate. NOW the fun part can begin lol
Old 06-01-2009 | 01:24 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Jime
Mine has been touching for 2 years now, an area of about 2 or 3 sq in. I even ground the intake down and it still touches even when the engine is stopped. Not much I can do but lower the engine. The bracing has long since been removed. Its only a toss away car now so nothing to worry about. Paint is still ok though, well ok for a 15 yr old car.

You get my email Aaron?
No, I didn't get an email from you.

Edit: I'm sorry. You were probably referring to the final drive illustration email. Yes, I got that. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
hey Aaron, whats up man!!! haven't talked to you in a long long time! last time we talked you were living in florida after moving from Las vegas. now you're doing a VQ swap in your old 3rd gen. congrats man. i crashed my old VE but someday, i may get another one.
i have an M now so i'm back in the Nissan family again.
Hey man! Good to hear from you! The engine is running strong.

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
did you spray on that pony? engine sounds awesome.
Oh no way. ALL MOTOR baby! And I only ran 13.59 on that run. The car is definitely capable of low 12s NA when I finish all my modding and get some cooler weather. Once I am happy with my NA times, I will spray it and see how deep in the 11s I can go!

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
wow Aaron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD you that y-pipe would make the difference for the ubber sound you have now !!! It sounds like pure sex!

great job and congrats on everything mate. NOW the fun part can begin lol
Yeah. It definitely sounds a lot better than the VE. I never had strangers walk up to my car and tell me how mean it sounds going down the track. With the VE open cutout, it sounded horrible.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 06-01-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2009 | 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

badass! well done aaron
Old 06-01-2009 | 03:51 PM

Fantastic Aaron!! Feels a bit like watching my child take it's first steps.

It's funny some people think the cutout is obnoxious, others think it's pure music. I had mine wide open on the VE last week for a couple of people who wanted to hear it open, and I warned them "this is going to be obnoxious", but they loved it. One of them was DandyMax lol.

Anyway, great day for you indeed. Looking forward to beating your VE PB with your former parts in my car
Old 06-01-2009 | 03:55 PM

Nice Aaron!

The main reason that the VE sounds so bad with a Y-pipe and an open cut out is because the y-pipe is unequal length.
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:15 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by hadman
Fantastic Aaron!! Feels a bit like watching my child take it's first steps.

It's funny some people think the cutout is obnoxious, others think it's pure music. I had mine wide open on the VE last week for a couple of people who wanted to hear it open, and I warned them "this is going to be obnoxious", but they loved it. One of them was DandyMax lol.

Anyway, great day for you indeed. Looking forward to beating your VE PB with your former parts in my car
You are shooting after my NA VE record? Good luck! 13.79 baby! It can be done with a VE 5spd for sure. I'm happy to help you do it too.

Right now, I have the NA 3.5 record in my sites owned by Jime. And best of all, he's been helping me get there too. I doubt I will be able to hit 12.3s until this winter though. I need the cooler weather to do it. I got to take it one small step at a time and focus on the MAXUS 09 Drag Showdown right now.

I also just got the UTEC working a little bit in my car. On Map 0, it idles very rich off ECU operation. The UTEC DOES alter the signal even on Map 0. Turbo XS claims it doesn't. So on my fuel map, I had to change the 0% load column from stock ECU operation to the numbers I need. Now it idles a little better and closer to stoich. Still doesn't idle all that perfect since it's slow to respond. As I'm watching the dashboard screen, the fuel correction gets stuck on -10% sometimes when the revs dips slightly below 700rpm and this causes a lean stumbling idle. According to my fuel map, when the revs drop below 700rpm, it should richen up, but it's not doing that sometimes.

Oh well. I have to dedicate a LOT more time figuring out this UTEC interface and how to make my engine happy without letting the stock ECU operate at any given point with the UTEC since it obviously alters fuel and timing when it shouldn't. At idle, without the UTEC plugged in, my timing is 15 degrees and AFR is stoich. At idle, on Map 0 with the UTEC plugged in, my timing is 9-12 degrees and AFR is 12.0 to 13.0:1. It jumps around, but stays mostly in the low 12s. It idles a tiny bit rougher than normal too. That's why I will have to keep the UTEC from running stock ECU mode anywhere in the maps.
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:56 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

You are shooting after my NA VE record? Good luck! 13.79 baby! It can be done with a VE 5spd for sure. I'm happy to help you do it too.

Right now, I have the NA 3.5 record in my sites owned by Jime. And best of all, he's been helping me get there too. I doubt I will be able to hit 12.3s until this winter though. I need the cooler weather to do it. I got to take it one small step at a time and focus on the MAXUS 09 Drag Showdown right now.

I also just got the UTEC working a little bit in my car. On Map 0, it idles very rich off ECU operation. The UTEC DOES alter the signal even on Map 0. Turbo XS claims it doesn't. So on my fuel map, I had to change the 0% load column from stock ECU operation to the numbers I need. Now it idles a little better and closer to stoich. Still doesn't idle all that perfect since it's slow to respond. As I'm watching the dashboard screen, the fuel correction gets stuck on -10% sometimes when the revs dips slightly below 700rpm and this causes a lean stumbling idle. According to my fuel map, when the revs drop below 700rpm, it should richen up, but it's not doing that sometimes.

Oh well. I have to dedicate a LOT more time figuring out this UTEC interface and how to make my engine happy without letting the stock ECU operate at any given point with the UTEC since it obviously alters fuel and timing when it shouldn't. At idle, without the UTEC plugged in, my timing is 15 degrees and AFR is stoich. At idle, on Map 0 with the UTEC plugged in, my timing is 9-12 degrees and AFR is 12.0 to 13.0:1. It jumps around, but stays mostly in the low 12s. It idles a tiny bit rougher than normal too. That's why I will have to keep the UTEC from running stock ECU mode anywhere in the maps.
did you set the fuel pressure back to where it was before when you put this utec in?
Old 06-02-2009 | 12:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
did you set the fuel pressure back to where it was before when you put this utec in?
I have my FP set to 51 psi now, which is where it should be. I only set it to 60psi temporarily so I could run off the stock ECM. It was running mid/high 13s at WOT on stock ECM. So I raised the pressure to help it get to the low 13s, which is still lean for my taste, but it will do, especially on stock timing. When I advance the timing with the UTEC, my target AFR will be 12.8:1 at WOT.
Old 06-03-2009 | 05:15 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Time for more pics!

I spent this past weekend putting parts back in my Maxima. I started by putting my gutted dash back in along with the heater blower motor and air ducts. I also decided to finally relocate my exhaust cutout and manual cooling fans switch while I was installing the Suprastick switches.

As you can see, I'm running a UTEC now. I still have a LOT of tuning left to do though!

I also put velcro on my Suprastick to stick it in a location convenient to plug into the serial port to tune shift points.

I was able to barely fit the Suprastick switches in my existing gauge panel. While I was at it, I stuck my torque converter lockup LED in the same panel. It just lights up when the torque converter is locked since it's nice to know if I have it locked manually, especially when I'm slowing down to a stop.

The Suprastick switches on the panel are for Auto/Manual mode and Auto Shift Maps 1 and 2.

I put my clutch overrun switch on the shifter panel. It lights up red when it's activated. Below is my torque converter lockup switch with safety cover. Then the exhaust cutout switch w/ LED and my cooling fans switch below. The green one just operates an FM modulator for my tunes since I don't have an auxiliary input on my CD player.

And here is where I stuck my Suprastick manual shifter, on the ebrake handle. The stock 3rd gen illumination switch works great for a momentary on signal for up and down shifts. Just don't bump it accidentally on the highway cause it WILL shift into 1st gear at 90mph if you want it to. I couldn't rig up the rpm signal into the Suprastick. It needs a proper RPM signal to prevent accidental downshifts that put you in a redline situation. It's a nice feature that I can't take advantage of due to the weird 5.5g ECU rpm signal.

The safety switches are manual engagement of my nitrous and bottle heater. I won't start playing with nitrous until at least this winter. I have too much All Motor fun left to have!

Old 06-03-2009 | 05:21 PM
No more Maximas...

Yea, the VQ35 doesn't have a seperate tach wire.

I've got an old Greddy RPM adapter if you want it, should work just fine for getting an RPM signal out of the VQ35 engine control harness. Hooks up to either all 6 injectors or coil signal wires, IIRC.
Old 06-03-2009 | 06:14 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yea, the VQ35 doesn't have a seperate tach wire.

I've got an old Greddy RPM adapter if you want it, should work just fine for getting an RPM signal out of the VQ35 engine control harness. Hooks up to either all 6 injectors or coil signal wires, IIRC.
Oh cool. Thanks for the offer. I'm not worried about it at all. The auto shift maps will still be ok. So I don't want to mess with it right now. I have bigger stuff to worry about. Like getting my car tuned and ready for MAXUS!
Old 06-03-2009 | 09:24 PM

Yes the NA time. Shooting for it just as a goal/target/benchmark of VE goodness, but not holding my breath it will happen this season. We'll see. I have much work to do still. Just getting the Innovate Wideband to cooperate with me has been a drag (pun intended). Also just found out I have a bad knock sensor. Guess it's good I found this out before I tear down the intake manifolds. Sigh.

Good to see the supra stick in. The illumination button scares me mommy - be careful!
Old 06-10-2009 | 02:13 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I've been pretty busy in the past week. I got my hands on a Turbo XS Tuner Reg and it's all hooked up and working with the UTEC. But, I can't figure out this UTI-3 and UTI-ME software. I have talked with Jeff at jeffsoftware.com once via email but I am having trouble getting the dashboard to show rpm, AFR, etc. Once I know that works, then I think I will be able to make a few pulls with the base TargetAFR.csv file loaded. I will tweak the TargetAFR file to the numbers I want. But for right now, does anybody have any tips on how to get the software to work?

I'm not sure if I should be using UTI3 or UTI-ME. I am just trying to get my UTEC fuel map tuned to the AFR I want. I am hoping to be able to use the Autotune feature. It's the whole reason I bought the software.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-10-2009 | 03:22 PM
Banned

I've been pretty busy in the past week. I got my hands on a Turbo XS Tuner Reg and it's all hooked up and working with the UTEC. But, I can't figure out this UTI-3 and UTI-ME software. I have talked with Jeff at jeffsoftware.com once via email but I am having trouble getting the dashboard to show rpm, AFR, etc. Once I know that works, then I think I will be able to make a few pulls with the base TargetAFR.csv file loaded. I will tweak the TargetAFR file to the numbers I want. But for right now, does anybody have any tips on how to get the software to work?

I'm not sure if I should be using UTI3 or UTI-ME. I am just trying to get my UTEC fuel map tuned to the AFR I want. I am hoping to be able to use the Autotune feature. It's the whole reason I bought the software.

Thanks for any help.
You use UTI3 to log the run in the tables. Then disconnect UTI3 because it won't autotune with it connected. Click the autotune button (not the autotune tab the button.) Then save which will save a table.csv file. Then load UTI-ME and load in the map you were on to do the run. Then load in the table and merge. Save the merged file and use it as your new map.

Do this 3 or 4 times and you should be very close to your target afr.

The dashboard should show rpm, afr etc as long as you have the UTEC connected to the Tuner and then the Tuner to your laptop.
Old 06-10-2009 | 03:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

You use UTI3 to log the run in the tables. Then disconnect UTI3 because it won't autotune with it connected. Click the autotune button (not the autotune tab the button.) Then save which will save a table.csv file. Then load UTI-ME and load in the map you were on to do the run. Then load in the table and merge. Save the merged file and use it as your new map.

Do this 3 or 4 times and you should be very close to your target afr.

The dashboard should show rpm, afr etc as long as you have the UTEC connected to the Tuner and then the Tuner to your laptop.
Thanks. I don't want to try to do any runs until I know the dashboard is reading what it should. I have the UTEC connected to the Tuner no problem b/c the UTEC Hyperterminal is showing my AFR just fine along with all the other numbers. But, UTI3 isn't showing anything. The rpm, AFR, etc are all zeros.

I have the Tuner connected to the UTEC with the male/female serial cable. Then I have the Tuner connected to the laptop using that phone jack/serial cable. The phone jack plugs into the Tuner and the serial to the laptop. Does that sound right? Do you have any ideas what is keeping the dashboard from displaying properly? I have tried switch from Logger1 to Dashboard and I can't see any difference. They all read zeros.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-10-2009 | 03:39 PM
Banned

Thanks. I don't want to try to do any runs until I know the dashboard is reading what it should. I have the UTEC connected to the Tuner no problem b/c the UTEC Hyperterminal is showing my AFR just fine along with all the other numbers. But, UTI3 isn't showing anything. The rpm, AFR, etc are all zeros.

I have the Tuner connected to the UTEC with the male/female serial cable. Then I have the Tuner connected to the laptop using that phone jack/serial cable. The phone jack plugs into the Tuner and the serial to the laptop. Does that sound right? Do you have any ideas what is keeping the dashboard from displaying properly? I have tried switch from Logger1 to Dashboard and I can't see any difference. They all read zeros.

Thanks for your help!
You have the right com port for UTI? Also you need to disconnect Hyperterminal before you connect UTI3. If hyperterminal dashboard is showing all the right stuff then UTI3 should as well.
Old 06-10-2009 | 03:45 PM
NWP Engineering.com

You have the right com port for UTI? Also you need to disconnect Hyperterminal before you connect UTI3. If hyperterminal dashboard is showing all the right stuff then UTI3 should as well.
Ok. I don't think I was disconnecting Hyperterminal on the UTEC before trying to get UTI3 working. There are two available com ports that UTI3 recognize when I hit the "Scan Ports" button, 3 and 6. I am going to fiddle with it some more.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009 | 04:14 PM
Banned

Ok. I don't think I was disconnecting Hyperterminal on the UTEC before trying to get UTI3 working. There are two available com ports that UTI3 recognize when I hit the "Scan Ports" button, 3 and 6. I am going to fiddle with it some more.

Thanks!
Oh ya there is also a button in the configuration to click if you have the UTEC Tuner attached.
Old 06-10-2009 | 07:27 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks. Yeah, I went through all that when I first started the program. But I found my problem today. I was accessing the wrong com port. And only one program can access it at a time, like you said.

After I did about 20 pulls, I now have my AFR around where I want it. Most of those pulls were experimental. Now I should be able to get an accurate fuel map tune within about 5 pulls or so probably.

Now tomorrow, I am going to advance the timing and see what kind of power I can put down. Right now, my timing map starts out at around 25 degrees below 3K, then it drops to 19 in the mid range. Then after 5K rpm, I see it starts to get above 22 degrees. That is the base 350z map tune from TXS. So I hope to squeeze out a little HP by advancing timing, especially in the midrange. I won't have time to do any dyno runs tomorrow while I'm advancing timing. So I will probably just advance the entire map to around a 24 degrees throughout the powerband and call it a day if it's not pinging. Then I hope to get in another track day tomorrow night if it doesn't rain.
Old 06-10-2009 | 11:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Thanks. Yeah, I went through all that when I first started the program. But I found my problem today. I was accessing the wrong com port. And only one program can access it at a time, like you said.

After I did about 20 pulls, I now have my AFR around where I want it. Most of those pulls were experimental. Now I should be able to get an accurate fuel map tune within about 5 pulls or so probably.

Now tomorrow, I am going to advance the timing and see what kind of power I can put down. Right now, my timing map starts out at around 25 degrees below 3K, then it drops to 19 in the mid range. Then after 5K rpm, I see it starts to get above 22 degrees. That is the base 350z map tune from TXS. So I hope to squeeze out a little HP by advancing timing, especially in the midrange. I won't have time to do any dyno runs tomorrow while I'm advancing timing. So I will probably just advance the entire map to around a 24 degrees throughout the powerband and call it a day if it's not pinging. Then I hope to get in another track day tomorrow night if it doesn't rain.
glad to year your tuning solution is finally coming together! sadly i can't come tomorrow night cuz i'll be working until 7ish... so i wouldn't even get to the track until after 9 and then another 2+ hour ride back home, and still have to be in at 8am the next day. maybe next time.
Old 06-11-2009 | 09:17 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I did several 2nd gear pulls today and I started to notice a little bit of knock being logged. Here is a good example of one of my pulls. I have always tuned by disabling the KS and actually hearing knock with my ears. But, if using my stock KS to listen for me is better, I will do that. I just don't know if it's real knock. It tends to happen at very weird parts of the map. Sometimes it'll show knock in 1st gear at WOT at 3K rpm while the tires are spinning. Sometimes, it'll show knock athe 3800rpm in 2nd gear WOT. And sometimes at 5900rpm. So, I backed the timing down from 26 to 25. I still don't think I have the timing high enough to get any pinging. It is very humid outside right now and 80 degrees.

For anybody that has UTEC experience, please take a look at my 2nd gear pull below. I logged this run using UTI3.

Thanks.

Code:
[TSMP][RPM][PSIG][MAF][TPS][LOD][KN][SNB][SIG][IDC%][IGN][FMVL][BMV][MMV][WBO2][CTf][ATf][TAFR]
334.85 3260 -18.8 3.8   98   70   0  W/B  18.3  39.3 26.0  +1.7 ECU  3.7  12.17 172  115  12.80
335.05 3310 -18.8 3.8   99   70   0  W/B  15.3  40.8 26.0  +1.6 ECU  3.9  11.81 172  115  12.80
335.25 3362 -18.8 3.8   97   70   0  W/B  16.2  41.1 26.0  +1.3 ECU  3.8  11.67 174  117  12.80
335.46 3422 -18.8 3.8   97   70   0  W/B  13.2  39.6 26.0  +1.0 ECU  3.8  11.73 172  113  12.80
335.65 3499 -18.8 3.8   97   70   0  W/B  13.2  43.4 26.0  +0.8 ECU  3.8  11.81 174  115  12.80
335.85 3583 -18.8 3.9   98   70   0  W/B  13.0  44.8 26.0  +0.6 ECU  3.9  11.73 172  113  12.80
336.05 3664 -18.8 4.0   97   80   0  W/B  13.3  40.1 26.0  -3.0 ECU  3.7  11.53 172  113  12.80
336.33 3772 -18.8 3.9   95   80   0  W/B  14.2  41.3 26.0  -3.7 ECU  3.9  11.61 176  115  12.80
336.52 3878 -18.8 4.0   97   80   0  W/B  14.1  48.1 26.0  -4.0 ECU  4.0  12.23 172  109  12.80
337.94 3990 -18.8 4.2   96   80   0  W/B  11.1  54.2 26.0  -5.6 ECU  3.8  12.83 176  113  12.80
338.06 4389 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  16.2  57.0 26.0  -8.1 ECU  4.0  12.56 172  102  12.80
338.27 4742 -18.8 4.5   97   90   0  W/B  17.2  62.5 25.6  -7.3 ECU  4.1  12.93 174  106  12.80
338.45 4900 -18.8 4.6   97   90   1  W/B  16.1  56.9 15.1  -6.7 ECU  4.3  13.06 174  104  12.80
338.65 5010 -18.8 4.3   96   90   0  W/B  16.2  66.4 25.5  -6.0 ECU  4.2  13.20 174  104  12.80
338.84 5131 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  14.1  68.1 25.5  -5.7 ECU  4.2  13.20 174  102  12.80
339.06 5249 -18.8 4.6   97   90   0  W/B  16.0  69.5 25.0  -5.5 ECU  4.2  12.92 174  104  12.80
339.27 5373 -18.8 4.5   98   90   0  W/B  17.1  67.0 25.0  -5.9 ECU  4.4  12.68 172  100  12.80
339.45 5485 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  17.1  67.8 25.0  -6.2 ECU  4.3  12.52 172  100  12.80
339.64 5592 -18.8 4.6   97   90   0  W/B  19.2  68.2 25.3  -6.3 ECU  4.4  12.46 174  100  12.80
339.87 5676 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  18.0  68.3 25.6  -6.3 ECU  4.4  12.61 174   97  12.80
340.06 5767 -18.8 4.6   96   90   0  W/B  18.0  74.5 25.8  -6.3 ECU  4.4  12.67 176  100  12.80
340.28 5881 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  20.1  77.2 25.9  -6.2 ECU  4.3  12.71 172   97  12.60
340.45 5991 -18.8 4.7   97   90   0  W/B  21.0  78.3 25.7  -6.2 ECU  4.5  12.75 172   97  12.60
340.66 6093 -18.8 4.7   98   90   0  W/B  22.1  87.8 25.9  -6.1 ECU  4.4  12.75 172   97  12.60
340.85 6218 -18.8 4.9   78   90   0  W/B  23.0  90.3 25.8  -6.1 ECU  4.3  12.61 172   95  12.60
Here are my UTEC Knock Constants. I have not touched them since I uploaded the TXS 350z base map tune.
Old 06-11-2009 | 09:58 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's another pull. I extended the rev limiter to 7200 and was checking the AFR up there. It's fine. But at around 4100rpm, it showed knock. I now am running around 24 degrees in that area.

If anybody feels that this is real knock, then please let me know. I certainly don't hear anything probably b/c the UTEC is retarding timing so fast, which is a very nice feature of the UTEC!

I am tempted just to put a resistor in the KS harness and tune by ear. I am guessing that the Knock Settings are too sensitive. I am going to let the engine cool down and do a few pulls to see if it stops showing knock. If it does, it may be actually hearing real knock.

Code:
[TSMP][RPM][PSIG][MAF][TPS][LOD][KN][SNB][SIG][IDC%][IGN][FMVL][BMV][MMV][WBO2][TAFR]
014.41 3841 -18.8 3.8   77   80   0  W/B  19.2  32.1 24.5  -1.6 ECU  3.8  13.02 12.80
014.50 3682 -18.8 3.8   93   80   0  W/B  19.3  31.6 24.5  -1.9 ECU  3.8  13.12 12.80
014.60 3641 -18.8 3.9   98   80   0  W/B  20.2  36.5 24.5  +0.7 ECU  3.8  13.36 12.80
014.71 3651 -18.7 3.9   98   70   0  W/B  18.2  38.7 24.5  +0.5 ECU  3.9  13.72 12.80
014.80 3703 -18.8 3.9   97   70   0  W/B  18.2  42.4 24.5  +0.5 ECU  4.0  14.00 12.80
014.90 3768 -18.8 3.9   98   70   0  W/B  18.1  42.9 24.5  +0.2 ECU  4.0  13.72 12.80
015.00 3806 -18.8 4.0  100   80   0  W/B  18.1  37.7 24.5  -3.9 ECU  3.8  13.33 12.80
015.13 3848 -18.8 3.9   97   80   0  W/B  19.1  38.9 24.5  -3.9 ECU  3.8  12.92 12.80
015.21 3896 -18.8 4.0   97   80   0  W/B  19.4  40.5 24.5  -3.9 ECU  3.8  12.83 12.80
015.31 3933 -18.8 4.1   98   80   0  W/B  19.3  42.9 24.5  -3.9 ECU  3.9  12.93 12.80
015.40 3970 -18.8 4.1   98   80   0  W/B  19.2  40.8 24.5  -3.9 ECU  3.8  13.12 12.80
015.51 4030 -18.8 4.1   96   80   0  W/B  17.3  44.0 24.5  -4.9 ECU  3.9  13.36 12.80
015.60 4078 -18.8 4.1   98   80   0  W/B  19.2  47.3 24.5  -4.9 ECU  4.0  13.33 12.80
015.71 4118 -18.8 4.0   98   80   1  W/B  15.2  45.9 14.0  -6.0 ECU  3.8  13.17 12.80
015.80 4151 -18.8 4.2   97   80   1  W/B  16.2  46.8 14.0  -5.6 ECU  4.0  12.99 12.80
015.90 4187 -18.8 4.0   99   80   0  W/B  16.3  46.2 14.0  -6.3 ECU  4.0  12.86 12.80
016.00 4247 -18.8 4.1   98   80   0  W/B  16.2  50.5 24.0  -7.0 ECU  3.8  12.83 12.80
016.11 4311 -18.8 4.2   97   80   0  W/B  14.1  50.7 24.0  -8.0 ECU  4.0  12.81 12.80
016.21 4374 -18.8 4.2   97   80   0  W/B  14.0  55.2 24.0  -8.7 ECU  4.0  12.68 12.80
016.30 4428 -18.8 4.4   98   80   0  W/B  12.2  56.4 24.0  -9.7 ECU  3.8  12.59 12.80
016.40 4461 -18.8 4.4   99   80   0  W/B  14.2  52.4 24.0 -10.0 ECU  4.0  12.39 12.80
016.51 4501 -18.8 4.1   97   80   0  W/B  14.2  56.2 24.0 -10.3 ECU  3.9  12.33 12.80
016.60 4552 -18.8 4.5   98   80   0  W/B  15.2  55.2 24.0 -10.2 ECU  4.1  12.37 12.80
016.70 4613 -18.8 4.5   98   80   0  W/B  15.3  54.8 24.0  -9.6 ECU  4.0  12.46 12.80
016.82 4672 -18.8 4.5   97   80   0  W/B  15.2  55.9 24.0  -9.3 ECU  4.0  12.67 12.80
016.91 4730 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  15.1  53.9 23.5  -8.3 ECU  4.0  12.81 12.80
017.01 4779 -18.8 4.3   99   90   0  W/B  15.2  55.9 23.8  -8.5 ECU  4.0  12.92 12.80
017.10 4829 -18.8 4.5   97   90   0  W/B  16.2  53.6 24.0  -8.6 ECU  3.8  12.99 12.80
017.21 4877 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  17.2  56.1 23.8  -8.0 ECU  3.9  13.03 12.80
017.30 4920 -18.8 4.5   99   90   0  W/B  16.1  62.1 24.0  -7.7 ECU  4.0  13.06 12.80
017.40 4965 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  16.1  57.1 23.6  -6.6 ECU  4.0  13.02 12.80
017.51 5114 -18.8 4.4   97   90   0  W/B  16.1  62.0 23.8  -6.3 ECU  4.3  13.03 12.80
017.60 5141 -18.8 4.4   98   90   0  W/B  15.1  60.2 23.9  -6.0 ECU  4.3  13.02 12.80
017.70 5132 -18.8 4.3   98   90   0  W/B  15.2  66.2 24.0  -6.0 ECU  4.3  13.02 12.80
017.81 5179 -18.8 4.4   97   80   0  W/B  15.1  65.4 24.0  -6.0 ECU  4.3  13.06 12.80
017.90 5226 -18.8 4.5   97   80   0  W/B  15.1  67.5 24.0  -6.0 ECU  4.0  13.06 12.80
018.00 5257 -18.8 4.6   98   80   0  W/B  15.8  69.8 24.0  -6.0 ECU  4.2  13.02 12.80
018.12 5320 -18.8 4.4   97   80   0  W/B  16.2  68.5 24.0  -6.0 ECU  4.3  12.89 12.80
018.20 5381 -18.8 4.7   97   90   0  W/B  16.1  67.1 24.0  -5.8 ECU  4.4  12.83 12.80
018.31 5426 -18.8 4.5   98   90   0  W/B  17.1  65.5 23.9  -6.2 ECU  4.3  12.74 12.80
018.40 5462 -18.8 4.5   98   90   0  W/B  17.2  65.6 24.0  -6.3 ECU  4.2  12.67 12.80
018.50 5501 -18.8 4.5   97   90   0  W/B  17.2  66.7 23.9  -6.4 ECU  4.4  12.67 12.80
018.61 5549 -18.8 4.7   98   90   0  W/B  18.2  64.9 24.1  -6.6 ECU  4.3  12.67 12.80
018.70 5626 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  18.2  65.4 24.2  -6.6 ECU  4.2  12.67 12.80
018.81 5696 -18.8 4.4   97   90   0  W/B  17.1  67.6 24.4  -6.5 ECU  4.3  12.71 12.80
018.91 5746 -18.8 4.6   97   90   0  W/B  17.1  66.3 24.6  -6.5 ECU  4.4  12.74 12.80
019.00 5786 -18.8 4.7   98   90   0  W/B  17.1  65.6 24.7  -6.5 ECU  4.3  12.75 12.80
019.12 5848 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  17.1  72.7 24.9  -6.4 ECU  4.3  12.78 12.80
019.21 5921 -18.8 4.5   97   90   0  W/B  18.9  74.3 24.8  -6.4 ECU  4.4  12.78 12.60
019.31 5973 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  18.0  73.5 24.7  -6.2 ECU  4.5  12.75 12.60
019.40 6028 -18.8 4.6   98   90   0  W/B  19.1  74.1 24.7  -6.3 ECU  4.3  12.75 12.60
019.51 6071 -18.8 4.8   97   90   0  W/B  19.2  79.3 24.7  -6.2 ECU  4.4  12.75 12.60
019.61 6103 -18.8 4.9   98   90   0  W/B  20.0  86.7 24.6  -6.1 ECU  4.4  12.78 12.60
019.71 6140 -18.8 4.9   98   90   0  W/B  20.1  87.0 24.7  -6.1 ECU  4.4  12.71 12.60
019.81 6213 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  20.0  86.3 24.8  -6.1 ECU  4.6  12.61 12.60
019.91 6300 -18.8 4.9  100   90   0  W/B  19.4  92.5 25.0  -6.1 ECU  4.5  12.49 12.60
020.01 6390 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  21.1  91.4 25.2  -6.1 ECU  4.5  12.37 12.60
020.10 6440 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  20.9  92.7 25.2  -6.0 ECU  4.5  12.30 12.60
020.21 6461 -18.8 4.7   98   90   0  W/B  20.8  92.2 25.5  -6.0 ECU  4.4  12.21 12.60
020.31 6509 -18.8 4.9   98   90   0  W/B  21.9  93.4 25.8  -6.1 ECU  4.6  12.18 12.60
020.40 6547 -18.8 4.8   99   90   0  W/B  21.8  89.8 26.1  -6.1 ECU  4.6  12.17 12.60
020.50 6591 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  21.0  90.3 26.4  -6.1 ECU  4.5  12.17 12.60
020.61 6624 -18.8 4.7   98   90   0  W/B  20.8  92.4 26.4  -6.2 ECU  4.5  12.25 12.60
020.71 6683 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  20.9  91.6 26.5  -6.2 ECU  4.5  12.30 12.60
020.81 6715 -18.8 4.8   99   90   0  W/B  21.0  91.4 26.5  -6.1 ECU  4.6  12.33 12.60
020.91 6733 -18.8 4.7   98   90   0  W/B  21.9  91.3 26.5  -6.1 ECU  4.5  12.37 12.60
021.01 6796 -18.8 4.8   99   90   0  W/B  21.8  88.9 26.5  -6.1 ECU  4.6  12.34 12.60
021.11 6886 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  22.1  88.8 26.5  -6.1 ECU  4.5  12.37 12.60
021.21 6904 -18.8 4.8   99   90   0  W/B  22.1  88.9 26.6  -6.1 ECU  4.5  12.39 12.60
021.32 6936 -18.8 4.9   98   90   0  W/B  22.0  89.4 26.5  -5.8 ECU  4.6  12.42 12.60
021.40 6980 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  21.9  88.1 26.5  -5.6 ECU  4.6  12.46 12.60
021.51 7004 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  22.0  89.0 26.6  -5.3 ECU  4.6  12.52 12.60
021.60 7075 -18.8 4.8   97   90   0  W/B  22.0  89.0 26.7  -5.2 ECU  4.6  12.52 12.60
021.69 7107 -18.8 4.8   98   90   0  W/B  22.0  89.1 26.7  -5.1 ECU  4.5  12.52 12.60
021.80 7111 -18.8 4.8   95   90   0  W/B  21.9  89.5 26.8  -5.1 ECU  4.6  12.53 12.60
021.90 7165 -18.8 4.8   67   90   0  W/B  22.8  89.0 26.8  -5.0 ECU  4.6  12.52 12.60
022.01 7173 -18.8 3.3    0   80   0  W/B  26.0  12.0 26.0  -5.7 ECU  2.3  12.52 12.60
022.11 6949 -18.9 2.0    0   70   0  W/B  26.0   3.4 26.0  -5.0 ECU  1.9  12.30 12.60
022.21 6801 -18.9 2.0    0   60   0  W/B  26.0   5.4 26.0   0.0 ECU  2.1  12.14 12.60
Old 06-11-2009 | 01:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I just got back from making a TON of more pulls. The knock that it's picking up does seem to be real! When I backed off the timing, the knock goes away. So I have not played with my knock sensitivity. It seems to be working just fine the way it is.

Now my timing map is mainly full of 24 degrees and a single 23 degree area around 4000-5000rpm. And after 6K, it starts to go back up to 26/27 degrees. Keep in mind that it's now 90 degrees and 90% humidity outside. And I've been racing my car constantly ALL day long. I even had to quickly change to a spare set of brake pads cause all this racing and braking caused them to finally start to run thin. (I found out I can change brake pads in less than 15 minutes ) Also, I keep the fans on high the entire time and the coolant temp stays around 180 degrees. But, I'm sure the oil is VERY hot by now. (No oil temp gauge) And tranny fluid is staying right around 165 degrees. What causes it to heat up the most is letting the car sit without airflow after doing a WOT run. And as you already know, my upper intake manifold is barely warm to the touch! NWP Engineering Thermal Intake Spacers FTW!

When the weather cools down, I am going to have to do a completely different tune since knocking probably won't be a problem. Jime said he didn't get any knocking when advancing timing above 28 degrees in midrange. But, I bet it was below 70 degrees outside. My engine may have similar results, but it's just so hot outside right now!
Old 06-12-2009 | 10:06 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Ran at the track last night to get some more practice runs in. The weather was even hotter and track prep was WORSE than last time, if you can believe that! So, I was only able to do 2.10 60 foots with the slicks. But the tuning definitely helped by 3-4 tenths! My trap speed increased from 103.9mph to 105.9mph. I ran a couple 13.3s and couple 13.4s and called it a day and went home. I also got a little practice in on the 4 tenths pro tree in preparation for the MAXUS 09 Drag Showdown.

http://www.maxus09.com/Drag%20Showdown.html

I didn't have anybody to take video since I went by myself. So I mounted the camera inside the car on the passenger seat and took several in-car videos.
Old 06-12-2009 | 11:40 AM
Play with my balls

Ok, so I know you're only on that dyno to tune and correct the knock but I'm curious to know what you put down at the wheels. Do tell.
Old 06-12-2009 | 11:44 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Ok, so I know you're only on that dyno to tune and correct the knock but I'm curious to know what you put down at the wheels. Do tell.
I have not ran my car on a chassis dyno. But I am guessing it's around 260-270whp. The automatic transmission sucks a lot of power.
Old 06-12-2009 | 12:24 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Some more In-Car videos of my track visit yesterday evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFr2kEOSxes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8As-cV-i3PY

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 06-12-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2009 | 01:21 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VMYORo7GY
Old 06-12-2009 | 01:38 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I have not ran my car on a chassis dyno. But I am guessing it's around 260-270whp. The automatic transmission sucks a lot of power.
Time for some nitrous in your diet !
Old 06-12-2009 | 01:46 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by grey99max
Time for some nitrous in your diet !
I've got two bottles sitting in the living room! But I am going to have some all motor fun first and see just how deep in the 12s I can go. I can shave 5-6 tenths just by having decent winter weather. And I can shave another 4 tenths by getting a half decent 60' (2.00) and doing my normal track prep stuff.
Old 06-12-2009 | 04:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I've got two bottles sitting in the living room! But I am going to have some all motor fun first and see just how deep in the 12s I can go. I can shave 5-6 tenths just by having decent winter weather. And I can shave another 4 tenths by getting a half decent 60' (2.00) and doing my normal track prep stuff.
what about at maxus though? are you going to just do n/a or are you gonna spray JUST for maxus then return to n/a for a while?
Old 06-12-2009 | 05:47 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
what about at maxus though? are you going to just do n/a or are you gonna spray JUST for maxus then return to n/a for a while?
I won't be spraying at MAXUS 09. I will be racing in the "All Motor Maxima Unlimited" class looking to win it all.

I don't want to rush into nitrous with this newly built engine. The car is too fast as it is right now! If you watch those youtube In-Car videos of me going down the track, it's tough to keep the car straight! That mostly has to do with a crappy track surface, but the car didn't pull that hard to the side before. If I hit a small bump on the street at 60mph in 2nd gear, I can hear the tires break lose.

I hope to hit the track again this next Thursday night to practice some more on the pro tree, tweak my suspension a little bit, and maybe do a little fine tuning on my UTEC maps.
Old 06-12-2009 | 06:47 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I just got done crunching all my timeslips and analyzing the numbers. I am surprised to say that I shaved exactly 4 tenths in the ET just by advancing timing from the stock map to around 24 degrees across the powerband! My AFR went from 13.3:1 to around 12.8:1.

This latest track visit had worse weather condition and the density altitude was 500' more than the last time I hit the track. And track prep was worse and my average 60 foots were exactly .05" worse than before. For every tenth you shave in the 60 foot due to the traction, you shave 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile. I have found this to be true every single time I have ever stepped out on the track. So with all things being equal, weather and traction, my tune shaved 4 tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile. That is impressive! People told me that the VQ35 really wakes up with advance timing. I could easily feel the power gain in the butt dyno while making my tuning runs.
Old 06-13-2009 | 03:52 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Alright you scavengers! The time has finally arrived for people to purchase all the old performance parts that I can't use now that my VQ35DE engine swap is complete.

Please see this thread for full details and pictures:
http://forums.maxima.org/maxus/59243...axus-09-a.html

Those attending MAXUS 09 will get first dibs on everything. Please contact me ahead of time so I know to bring the part you are purchasing.

Here is what I have for sale:

Aftermarket and Performance Parts:
1) 5.5g Cluster, ECU & NATS w/key & ignition, Steering Wheel, Steering Column, egas pedal assembly with APP Sensor $400 firm
Everything came from the SAME car! This is very tough to find. The Immobilizer, Ignition, Key, and ECM all match up perfectly. Came out of a 2002 Nissan Maxima Automatic with 96K miles
2) Turbo XS UTEC (tested in 6th gen Maxima) $500 firm
3) Warpspeed Performance 2.5" Aluminized VE30DE Ypipe w/ wideband bung! $100
4) PLX M300 wideband system w/ display $120
5) ASP UDP w/o AC rib $60
6) Polyfilled VE LH engine mount and almost new RH engine mount $50 for both
7) Ported stock VE exhaust manifolds $50
8) Nismo 150 degree Tstat for VE $40 ($60 new)
9) AshSPEC ECU w/ socketed daughterboard $100
10) Z32 300zx VG30DE(TT) MAF in flawless condition $80
11) Flowmaster Exhaust Y-Collector BRAND NEW (Y200250A) $20.00

OEM and spare parts:
1) VE Auto ECU $40ea (two available)
2) VE Auto Transmission Control Module Name your price and it's yours!
3) VE30DE Coil Packs in great shape $60
4) VE30DE Coil Packs in working condition. LH three has a crack on them. $40
5) VE30DE Crank Angle Sensor (tested) $20ea (two available)
6) VE30DE Power Transistor Unit (tested) $20ea (two available)
7) VE MAF w/ screen $40 (tested)
8) VE MAF w/o screen $30 (tested)
9) 02 Maxima Exhaust Manifolds Name your price and it's yours!
10) 02-03 Maxima VIAS actuator assemblies (have two of them) Name your price and it's yours!
11) 03 Altima 3.5L Front Engine Mount $20
12) VE30DE 92 Maxima Remanufactured Starter $30 (top right in pic)
13) VE30DE 92 Maxima OEM Starter 203K miles tested $20 (top left in pic)
14) 02 Maxima OEM Starter tested $30 (bottom in pic)
15) VE30DE/VQ30DE Fuel Injectors w/ rail (Orings and Pintle caps have been replaced. Injectors can be used on VQ30DE 4th gen Maxima) $70
16) 02 Maxima VQ35DE Oil Pump 49K miles $20
17) 02 Maxima VQ35DE Camshafts 49K miles $60
18) 03 Altima 3.5L OEM Power Steering Pump Almost New! (< 10K miles on it) $20
19) VE30DE Remanufactured Alternator in great condition $60

Other items not pictured:
1) 4th gen UIM, LIM, and TB Name your price!
2) VE Auto UIM (have two of them) Name your price!
3) VG30E Maxima UIM w/ lower plate, TB, and Dual Duct Name your price!
Old 06-17-2009 | 08:02 AM

Great job, Aaron!
Old 06-17-2009 | 02:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thank you.

Little update: I finally got around to setting my automatic shift points with the Superstick. Now it shifts right at 7100rpm everytime and I can hang onto the steering wheel with both hands now! I plan to hit the track tomorrow night for one last time before the MAXUS 09 Drag Showdown. I will tweak my suspension a little bit, maybe do a little more tuning of the timing, play around with shift points, and practice on the pro tree some more.
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:38 PM

Excellent - record some video of the runs for us.

I started the tear down today to get the all ported intake parts in and spacers. Though I neglected to think ahead to when I remove the LIM. I'm going to need gaskets. Hope they are in stock at one of my dealers or Napa, or I'll be stranded without the VE for a while. I also have to install a new KS while I'm in there. NIStune was throwing the code.

Exciting stuff all around. Wish I could make Maxus to catch things live!
Old 06-17-2009 | 06:42 PM

awesome job on the whole project, you are gonna be tough to beat in the all motor class ill tell you that right now... what suspension are you running and whats the cars race weight? it looked like the nose was lifting up a bit going down, unless thats the camera mount. im wanting to go to maxus more and more...excellent work again !!!!
Old 06-17-2009 | 07:09 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by hadman
Excellent - record some video of the runs for us.

I started the tear down today to get the all ported intake parts in and spacers. Though I neglected to think ahead to when I remove the LIM. I'm going to need gaskets. Hope they are in stock at one of my dealers or Napa, or I'll be stranded without the VE for a while. I also have to install a new KS while I'm in there. NIStune was throwing the code.

Exciting stuff all around. Wish I could make Maxus to catch things live!
Have you seen the videos I posted above of my last couple track visits?

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
awesome job on the whole project, you are gonna be tough to beat in the all motor class ill tell you that right now... what suspension are you running and whats the cars race weight? it looked like the nose was lifting up a bit going down, unless thats the camera mount. im wanting to go to maxus more and more...excellent work again !!!!
Thank you. My suspension only consists of Eibach springs and Koni struts. The rear springs have rubber spring blocks in them. I sometimes lock the front suspension with metal cable. But, I haven't done that yet with the new VQ35 engine.

The race weight with driver should be around 2840 lbs even. I will weigh it at MAXUS 09 since MIR has a scale. None of my local tracks have a scale.

I'm not sure what you mean by the nose lifted up. If anything, the front of the car points more towards the ground with the rear lifted up higher than normal.

You have a nice looking Maxima though. Are you coming to MAXUS 09?

Quick Reply: 3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread