All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Trying to pass emissions on a 3.5 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Trying to pass emissions on a 3.5 swap.

I figured given the actual topic to be discussed this would be the most appropriate subforum.
I'll get straight to the point. I've got a 4.5 gen with a completely aftermarket exhaust and NO catalytic converter. Obviously I can not pass emissions like this. What I want to know is what exactly I can do to ENSURE that I pass the emissions test?
I think it is the Nox that I am failing..(or have failed in the past)
Is a catalytic converter the solution to this problem? I want to say I tried with my old cat and it still failed. What if I put in TWO brand new cats inline with each other , will that guarantee that I pass? I'm prepared to rig up anything..I can fabricate whatever it takes.

I just dont understand what prevents it from failing exactly. If anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
MaximaDriver

what year is your car? is your CEL on?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 PM

its a 95. I dont think the CEL being on matters for this year, in my state at least. Regardless...getting the cell to go away would be probably near impossible. That reminds me I need to check what codes I still have after the ecu swap to m/t.

its more the emissions than anything. that I worry about.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:12 PM
No more Maximas...

We'd have to know exactly which test it fails, and by how much to really say why it's failing the test.

Throw on a converter, and use some of that 'Gauranteed to pass' crap, see what happens. Do you get free retests?

Here's a little read for you: http://www.catalyticconverter.org/nox/index.htm

Even though you're a '95 (meaning they'll put you on the rollers), a CEL on may be means for a failed test. Not sure how they handle that in TX. This page doesn't go much into it: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_asm.htm
Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 PM

thanks. i'll check that stuff out. Yes we do get free retests.
I cant remember why it would fail when I did it with the 3.5 (before I removed the cat)...obviously without a cat I have no chance of passing. I think the CEL is okay.
I just checked all my old emissions results sheets and it looked like the only one I was failing was Nox..i didnt even see any read outs for the CO2 or anything.
I've got awhile to do something about it..I just wanted a plan of action so i'm not running around stressed...back when I had the 3.0 I dumped 130 on a new EGR like an idiot and still failed.
Anyway...new motor doesnt have that...so hopefully this will be more straight forward

i'm reading that link..and its saying LEAN conditions cause the failure..I would have thought opposite. hmm...i was sitting here thinking I could try to lean it out with my vafc2 lolll
Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 PM

High combustion chamber temps will result in higher NOx readings. If you have a means of retarding timing such as EU, it should help. If CELs dont make a difference, you could also try unhooking an O2 sensor to richen the mixture in closed loop. My car ran rich with O2 unplugged. The downside to that was that CO2 levels went higher but I had a big enough buffer to start with. Anyway, to bring NOx levels down, you gotta get those CC temps down somehow.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by whlimi
...Anyway, to bring NOx levels down, you gotta get those CC temps down somehow.
I wonder how Meth Injection affects an emissions test
Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 PM

the check engine light will automatically fail you in texas
Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Carlos
Even for the ASM/TSI testing?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Carlos
I dont know...I want to say that for some reason my year was exempt from that. It may be because they assume that the 95's are obd-1. I know my friend with a 97 accord HAD to fix his check engine light but the same exact place was not bothering with mine. Regardless...I'll just pull the flippin bulb out for what its worth..that doesnt worry me.

as far as trying to make the car run rich...I'm trying to think if my vafc would be able to dump some more fuel in there at such low throttle settings. I wont mess with that until i try the cat first.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Bacon Lover

'95's are typically exempt from the new standards implemented for OBD2 regardless of whether they are OBD1 or OBD2. There HAS to be a DMV website you can look at to tell you some of this stuff. The PA DMV website has a list a mile long of things that can fail you (it's almost scary how many things can according to them), but my old '95 was entirely exempt from anything emissions-related save for a quick look-over (to see if all the components were in place). They never scanned it or anything.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Kevlo for President

1987-95
Check the following:

* Use OBD, if available
* O2 sensor
* EGR valve and EGR hose
* Ignition timing and system (advanced timing and ignition components are some of the most common problems)
* Primary feedback sensor failure including, oxygen sensor, MAP/MAF, TPS, RPM, and CTS sensors<
* Vacuum lines
* Catalytic converter
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_asm.htm

I would assume a CEL = fail.

I don't see why you wont pass the tail pipe with a good cat.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Kevlo for President

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

That big *** one might help
Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 AM

lmao i was looking at those summit cats trust me.

I'm not really worried about passing anything except the tail pipe test. That was my main concern initially. Just another excuse to get an EU really..so I can tweak some of this stuff..and get the results I want.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Kevlo for President

Look into those bikiboards instead of EU
Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Turbo 3.5

no sure whats needed in your state but I am going to switch to a 3inch exhuast and apply for hotrod tags so I will not need emissions anymore.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Look into those bikiboards instead of EU
bikini boards...summer aint quite here yet. (what are biki boards?)

t6- you'd think we would have something like that here but I want to say that we dont. What does that entail in your state? what is the catch?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Wouldn't unplugging the knock sensor take car of the advancement issue? I know I failed because the front valve cover tube was not hooked up to the mid pipe ( I had a small breather filter on there because of boost) and it was doing something to make it fail. Once I did that and lowered the fp with an afpr for the test it passed with flying colors. I did have the cat replaced tho and it still failed, those hi flow cats are basically useless for helping passing emission, you would have to have a big one like kevlo linked to, body should be close to the stock cat body length. The one I had prior was only like 11 inches long bodywise. I had to do the tail pipe test because for some reason my odII doesn't read.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by chillin014
bikini boards...summer aint quite here yet. (what are biki boards?)

t6- you'd think we would have something like that here but I want to say that we dont. What does that entail in your state? what is the catch?
I am sure every state has something to this affect, I'm pretty sure jime did the samething is canada. does your state have classic, anthenic, muscle or hotrod tags

here you have to be a registered and insured driver for another vehicle beside the one your applying for and the car has to have a engine that is not a factory option and a 3 inch exhaust. for example you can not take a 6cylinder mustang and put a 5.0 in it and apply cause it was a factory option

I have a inspection license and cool with the owner so I did not worry about it this year plus my other car is not in my name but I am buying another car so I'll just apply and see what happens

your insurance agent should have all the forms needed to apply, hope this helps
Old 02-07-2009, 03:10 PM

thanks. We definitely do have antique vehicle tags and maybe even "show car" tags or something of that sort...but I believe your insurance is effected and your only allowed to drive it to and from events. I will check it out though just out of curiosity.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Wouldn't unplugging the knock sensor take car of the advancement issue? I know I failed because the front valve cover tube was not hooked up to the mid pipe ( I had a small breather filter on there because of boost) and it was doing something to make it fail. Once I did that and lowered the fp with an afpr for the test it passed with flying colors. I did have the cat replaced tho and it still failed, those hi flow cats are basically useless for helping passing emission, you would have to have a big one like kevlo linked to, body should be close to the stock cat body length. The one I had prior was only like 11 inches long bodywise. I had to do the tail pipe test because for some reason my odII doesn't read.
I'll get the best cat I can afford...I'm not really worried about it hindering my performance I just want it to work good. They dont even bother with my OBD stuff...they put it straight on the rollers.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what county are you in?

The county matters more here in TX. Keep in mind..just cause you don't have a cat doesn't mean you'll fail. My turbocharged, catless, 96 passed inspection without any problems. I can't tell you too much about if ou'll have to do an actual smog test on your 95 though...but the county info will give you a better idea.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 PM

fort bend. They are all the same around here, the laws cover a huge area. You may have passed inspection but surely they didnt do a tailpipe test for you..they ALWAYS do a tailpipe test for me...no way would I pass that without a cat. My el camino is inspection only, of course thats going to pass.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Turbo 3.5

just want to make sure are you failing the visual for not having the cat or just flat out failing the emissions cause I have seen cars pass on the rollers without a cat

if it's the emissions I have my both cutout and cat flanged so I can swap them out in 15mins and a total of 4 bolts and some rtv. I run with the cat for DD and the cutout for track, dyno and tuning since I have a extra bung welded in there

just a though cause here if a state troopers see's that your not running a cat it = heavy azz ticket

Last edited by t6378tp; 02-08-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM

That sucks here. I just made it in the new rules. 98 newer doenst get smogged, only a quick scan of the ECU to pick out any emissions related codes. Too bad i have a stupid EVAP code, easy to fix though, they dont even pop the hood, brought the consult 2 with me, reset the ecu drove around for 2 hours to reser the rediness monitors and took it thru and we were good!

My friend had a 850rwhp supra that passed aircare, he fabricated a section just after his downpipe and fitted it with 2 cats in line. Most would assume a straight 4" turbo back with no mufflers would fail. The first time they kicked him out because it was too loud, went to a differant location and he passed!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
just want to make sure are you failing the visual for not having the cat or just flat out failing the emissions cause I have seen cars pass on the rollers without a cat

if it's the emissions I have my both cutout and cat flanged so I can swap them out in 15mins and a total of 4 bolts and some rtv. I run with the cat for DD and the cutout for track, dyno and tuning since I have a extra bung welded in there

just a though cause here if a state troopers see's that your not running a cat it = heavy azz ticket
emissions. State troopers/cops around here dont bother with that stuff. I just want to easily get my inspection sticker every year thats all.