All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Problems with Primary O2 sensors after header install

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Problems with Primary O2 sensors after header install

Hey guys. I posted on the 6th gen forum initially and several other org members and I have been trying to remedy our situation. I had the Cattman headers inatlled on my 6th gen about 6 weeks ago. The performance is there. However, so is the CEL with P1283 and P1274. My tech said that the rear primary O2 sensor is the one tripping off both. He also mentioned that since there is too much air passing through the system the ECU is not able to adjust the A/F ration enough and thus the CEL trips on. I've tried using an O2 sensor adapter but the problem still remains. The tech says my best bet is to get the ECU flashed so that it can work at the higher A/F ration without setting off a CEL. I'm running rich right now. A fellow orger pointed out the following link. Would this help? I've never heard about it until now. Thanks in advance.

http://www.myhotmaxima.com/O2-Power-...e-CHIP/17964/#

Here's a link to the original thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...imulators.html
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Which Y-Pipe do you have? Did you solder or crimp the the primary 02 sensors because they are very sensative. They read down to the thousandths and if they are getting the correct voltage they will not read correctly therefore causing your cel to come on and stay on.. alot of the Altima guys were having some issues with the cel light after their header installs but I talked to Brain about this and I was one of the few Alty owners that didnt have this problem.. But it all depends on how things were installed..
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Are the O2s stock? They may be in need of being replaced anyway..
Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 AM

My y-pipe is a Cattman as well. I was told to expect the secondary 02 sensors being the most common culprit but those have worked well with no issues. The wires were soldered to extend them. One of the sensors was switched out last year. The tech noted that if the soldering was the problem, then the ECU diag tool would picked it up as a failed sensor. However, the tool notes then A/F ratio is high and that both a re working fine. Two of the guys in the original thread switched out their problem primary O2 sensor only two have the problem reappear again.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Maybe you're just leaning out?

Do you have a wideband? The headers would give you more airflow and if the ECU is still giving you the same amount of fuel you'd be too lean. I don't think this is very common but maybe you were already pretty close to going lean.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 PM

Actually, I'm running rich according to the tech and the ECU diag tool they used.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM

P1283 here... lean. Replaced the front primary a/f... it was totally trashed anyway. After that, I got a P1274 (rich)... unplugged the battery overnight, and I'm back to a P1283..

I am trying to track down a suspected intake/exhaust leak... I tightened things up a bit, sprayed some carb cleaner around to check the idle... and nothing... but I know there's a leak somewhere. I can hear it when I accelerate. It's not just the whiiiishing from the manifold spacers... it's more than that.

I even noticed it at the dyno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKXIFzemeU

At about 22-23 seconds in... right when she goes full-throttle... you can hear the higher pitched noise.

Apparently the issue is too much air hitting the a/f sensors... athlon, do you still have your stock intake? Try running with that installed for a few days. I'm sure it's more restrictive than any aftermarket one I think you have installed... Worth a shot?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
P1283 here... lean. Replaced the front primary a/f... it was totally trashed anyway. After that, I got a P1274 (rich)... unplugged the battery overnight, and I'm back to a P1283..

I am trying to track down a suspected intake/exhaust leak... I tightened things up a bit, sprayed some carb cleaner around to check the idle... and nothing... but I know there's a leak somewhere. I can hear it when I accelerate. It's not just the whiiiishing from the manifold spacers... it's more than that.

I even noticed it at the dyno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKXIFzemeU

At about 22-23 seconds in... right when she goes full-throttle... you can hear the higher pitched noise.

Apparently the issue is too much air hitting the a/f sensors... athlon, do you still have your stock intake? Try running with that installed for a few days. I'm sure it's more restrictive than any aftermarket one I think you have installed... Worth a shot?
I was just thinking the same thing. I still have it. I was too lazy to do it yesterday, but I'll give it a shot. I'm in the process of moving so hopefully Tuesday would be a better day if I get off of work earlier.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM

Yeah... seems kinda silly to actually resort to restricting air flow, but if these headers really are opening things up that much (which has to be the case... those stock manifolds were like a choke hold!), it's worth a try... I really dont think any damage is being done with the codes for the primary sensors (assuming that your car is running fine as mine is)... but for emissions testing purposes, if this clears up the code after awhile, that'd be an easy fix.

Honestly I'm not too hopeful... Nissan and Infiniti people are getting these codes even without mods... but in our case, who really knows...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

With my se-r I got those code after putting headers on and from the sounds of it you have the same issue. Cattman's headers were supposed to prevent that in our cars and for some it worked.. for others they were a really expensive set of normal headers that still cause the CEL.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by yea se-r
With my se-r I got those code after putting headers on and from the sounds of it you have the same issue. Cattman's headers were supposed to prevent that in our cars and for some it worked.. for others they were a really expensive set of normal headers that still cause the CEL.
I'm starting to see that unfortunately in my situation. Any word on whether anyone tried an O2 chip mod or reflashed the ECU to accept a higher A/F ratio?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
I'm starting to see that unfortunately in my situation. Any word on whether anyone tried an O2 chip mod or reflashed the ECU to accept a higher A/F ratio?
No word on those tweaks... but I will say this... and I am probably speaking too soon... I am running the final R2c prototype intake... and my P1283 code is gone... I'm not ready to say their production model will be a fix... I may never be, since everyone's car seems to be different... but I'll be running this thing for a few more weeks until I get the final product. I'm not at all suggesting a $300 intake will solve the P1283/etc. codes... but I am leaning towards the design of the long-tubed CAIs being a culprit. Nissan is known for their finicky sensors.

Of course, of my P1283 code pops up again, I will update. I check with my code reader 2-3 times a day it seems. lol

MY CEL is still on, but only with the P0138 code which I really don't care about until it's time for emissions testing. I have a feeling grounding the o2 sim to the chassis may help. Just haven't had it on a lift lately to give it a try.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Any updates guys? Still no P1283 etc. for me...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm going to get the phenolic spacers put on as well as the the R2C intake before I get the car dynoed. I then plan on sending in the A/F maps with dyno and list of mods to Technosqaure and getting rid of these cods once and for all. Maybe I might get lucky and the R2C intake cures mine like it did yours.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Yeah... I just can't recommend the intake actually being a fix, seeing as I'm still running the pre-production model. They have been busy traveling for races and stuff the last week or so, so it's difficult to get a hold of them. But soon!

Just for the heck of it, have you tried a bottle or two of fuel injector cleaner? I got some "super concentrated" Gum Out stuff from AutoZone... not sure if that helped or anything, but someone on the Infiniti boards was throwing the same codes, and after 2-3 tanks of gas and 2 bottles later, the codes went away... as far as I know...
Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Yeah... I just can't recommend the intake actually being a fix, seeing as I'm still running the pre-production model. They have been busy traveling for races and stuff the last week or so, so it's difficult to get a hold of them. But soon!

Just for the heck of it, have you tried a bottle or two of fuel injector cleaner? I got some "super concentrated" Gum Out stuff from AutoZone... not sure if that helped or anything, but someone on the Infiniti boards was throwing the same codes, and after 2-3 tanks of gas and 2 bottles later, the codes went away... as far as I know...
Yeah. I've used lucas and chevron's techron stuff. I have an unopened bottle of redline I'm thinking of using but don't it wil do anything. I want the R2C intake primarily for the gains above the fujita.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by athlon omega
Yeah. I've used lucas and chevron's techron stuff. I have an unopened bottle of redline I'm thinking of using but don't it wil do anything. I want the R2C intake primarily for the gains above the fujita.
I thought there were no proven gains?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
I thought there were no proven gains?
Not according to my dyno...
Old 08-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Hooooooonda.....

the one that the shop did? I like to see 3rd party dyno runs not the ones from people affiliated with the product...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
the one that the shop did? I like to see 3rd party dyno runs not the ones from people affiliated with the product...
They don't have their own dyno, but they use a guy out in the boonies. I was there and saw the whole thing.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Welllllll.... 1283, my old friend, is back....
Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Welllllll.... 1283, my old friend, is back....
That sux. I know you're heart skipped a beat and then sank after seeing that orange indicator rear it's ugly head again.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:53 PM

Well, it's been steady and on for a few months... I don't really care about the P0138... lol

When I read the codes today and saw 1283, I just kinda rolled my eyes and chuckled.

I've given up on it.

But was thinking of someone was brave enough to get a smallish cat welded onto the front header manifold somehow... lol

If anything, I may try putting the old stock front manifold with the cat back on, since that's the "easy" one to install... just to see what happens... but who knows if I'll even find the motivation, time, and a lift I can borrow for free to do it... Unless someone wants to try it...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Well, it's been steady and on for a few months... I don't really care about the P0138... lol

When I read the codes today and saw 1283, I just kinda rolled my eyes and chuckled.

I've given up on it.

But was thinking of someone was brave enough to get a smallish cat welded onto the front header manifold somehow... lol

If anything, I may try putting the old stock front manifold with the cat back on, since that's the "easy" one to install... just to see what happens... but who knows if I'll even find the motivation, time, and a lift I can borrow for free to do it... Unless someone wants to try it...
From what the tech has told me, the 1283 is actually being triggered by the rear headers.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Well damn. That complicates things then... lol
Old 03-14-2010, 05:16 PM

A little update... A few months ago the P1283 (lean) went away on it's own, but I was running with P0138 for at least a year... finally got the rear sensors extended past the cat in the stock y-pipe hoping to pass emissions. I had the Cattman y-pipe installed originally... just had bungs welded onto the stock one etc.

Was fine for a day... no more codes from the rear sensors, so that all went well... but now I'm throwing both P1274 and P1283 (rich/lean respectively)... lol

I'm tempted to get bungs welded onto the Cattman y-pipe, and get some o2 spacers. It's just weird that my primaries weren't throwing a code the last few months with the Cattman y-pipe, but now they are with the stock y-pipe and cat. I have to figure this out by June. lol

***Also***

At least for me, having an '04 that I purchased in 2003, there seems to be two separate TSB's for both the codes:

Bulletin Number: 03067A
Bulletin Date: Oct 2003

Summary:
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P1274/P1284 (A/F SENSOR BANK-1/2 RICH MONITOR). ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10003899 )

And:

Bulletin Number: 03067
Bulletin Date: Oct 2003

Summary:
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P1274/P1284 A/F SENSOR BANK-2 (RICH MONITOR) STORED IN THE ECM (ENGINE CONTROL MODULE). 2004 MODEL. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10004556 )

I'm due for a pretty big service soon, so I'll have them check if either of these TSBs have been applied... and if not, perhaps this would be a fix for the '04s at least. I won't hold my breath though.

Last edited by Oolatec; 03-18-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 AM

Stupid dealer (staffed with new service "advisors" that don't know crap compared to the old crew which was awesome... shame) said "We don't do TSBs". Geezus.

I have a few more things to try before my emissions in June... going to get bungs welded onto the Cattman y-pipe, and put on some angled o2 spacers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fCarQ5fParts

I just don't get why I was code-free with my primary a/f sensors, but the lean/rich codes popped up when I put in the stock y-pipe with the cat and the extended secondary o2s. Perhaps the cat is pushing back some air into the primary a/f sensors and they are being thrown out of wack, and as a result, they are throwing P1283/1274.

I'll update in a week or so.

If all else fails, I'll pay my guy to put the stock headers back on and sell the Cattman headers. They are awesome, but if I can't pass emissions, I don't really have a use for them.

Then I may even part with the Max... :O I've been kinda window shopping, so we will see... But that's for another topic completely.